[How-To] Root the Samsung Intercept

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a very straightforward and easy affair.

• Install the USB drivers for your phone from Samsung.
  • Download SuperOneClick from shortfuse.org
  • Extract the the SuperOneClick program on your computer
  • On your phone, enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development)
  • Plug your phone into a full speed and powered USB port on your computer (not on a hub)
  • Follow the directions and run SuperOneClick.

Good luck, and enjoy the root!

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Nice to see one of the big dogs slumming it in the low level phone forums. Just because we made a bad choice in phones doesn't mean we are bad people.
There are quite a few custom roms floating around for the intercept. I am currently rocking Ubuntdroid v4.5. It will be nice to get some action in the intercept forums.

jydogg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Temp root only!

VM Intercept. SuperOneClick gives only temp root. Haven't found anything permanent that keeps full phone function. :-(

blackhawk7188

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Every time I attempt to install the samsung drivers it says "I have incompatible processor type". I have attempted on numerious PCs with the same result. Are the windows drivers that it gives the phone the same as the Samsung drivers?

fdossantos

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
VM Intercept. SuperOneClick gives only temp root. Haven't found anything permanent that keeps full phone function. :-(

What do you mean by "temp root"? I just want to be clear.

Also: Why is the VM branded Intercept so different when it comes to rooting and getting ROMs on to it? Is it simply because it's pre-paid?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by "temp root"? I just want to be clear.

Also: Why is the VM branded Intercept so different when it comes to rooting and getting ROMs on to it? Is it simply because it's pre-paid?

temp root means that once you reboot the phone you loose root,,i dont know the answer to the rest

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The software files for rooting VM Samsung Intercept are different than Sprint Samsung Intercept - probably because of the carrier specific radio, configurations, settings, features. Other than different software files the process/steps is same.

More at sdx-developers.com under Samsung Intercept section.

crgrapid

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Every time I attempt to install the samsung drivers it says "I have incompatible processor type". I have attempted on numerious PCs with the same result. Are the windows drivers that it gives the phone the same as the Samsung drivers?

im having the same problem, did you find a way around it?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This DOES NOT work, hey OP can we get some help here???

when you say it does not work, what do you mean, it wont recognize your phone, it wont temp root or root? please be speciific.

its like walking up to a mechanic and saying. My car does not work. can you fix it

BigDaddyHicks

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It detects the phone, either method of "rageagainstthecage" or "psnueter" doesn't work.

Psnueter method stops at "Waiting for device"

rageagainstthecage method stops at "chmod rageagainstthecage"

Second run, now it gets to "running rageagainstthecage" and is not responding

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing rageagainstthecage...
18 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.283s)

OK

chmod rageagainstthecage...

OK

Running rageagainstthecage...

Nevermind anyway, just realized this is just a "temp root"

Last edited:

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
One Click Root And Unroot For Froyo Intercept For Windows (Updated)

:)

SDX-Developers Member kuroyoma has posted a very good link for - One Click Root And Unroot For Froyo Samsung Intercept from your Windows:

One Click Root And Unroot For Froyo Intercept For Windows (Updated)

This uses ADB, rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploit and su binary, and Busybox App.

Please read the above thread completely to understand and get answers for any questions that you have.

Easy Instructions:

Download the zip file from above link to C:\ on your Windows PC

Unzip the file using Winzip or similar tool (Search on Google for Winzip downlaod)

It will extract in folder - InterceptFroyoRoot v0.2

Using Windows Explorer open C:\InterceptFroyoRoot v0.2 folder.

Do not click or double click on any of the .bat files yet.

Open all .sh files (one at a time in notepad ) and replace /dev/block/stl9 with /dev/block/stl5 and save .sh files. This is needed because to correct the mount path in Samsung Intercept is /dev/block/stl5 for /system.

To Root:

Turn on USB Debugging on your Samsung Intercept phone.

(Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging Check this option)

Connect your Samsung Intercept to USB port on your Windows PC.

From Windows Explorer, go to C:\InterceptFroyoRoot v0.2

double click on START_ROOT.bat

Wait and check the output on PC screen...

To Unroot:

(Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging Check this option)

double click on START_UNROOT.bat

kuroyama referrred to the following when he developed his scripts:

Sprint Intercept w/Froyo permanent root using epic expoit

Reactions: crgrapid

tmadijimmy

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Vm samsung intercept 2.2.2 superone click does not work

I have installed the VM Froyo 2.2.2 on the Intercept. I tried to root using the Superone click program. The rooting appeared to succeed and the final check indicated that it was a success. The SU icon appeared. Using a root checker indicted that a bin was not installed properly. Downloaded Titanium Backup and it could not obtain permission. The last few lines when rooting appeared to repeat a message of failure. Can you help me out with this.

tmadijimmy

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
One click root w/vm intercept does not work

I downloaded the one click files, opened the "su", files, changed the 9's to a 5. Tried the root batch twice and both times it failed. The root check file claims there is no SU bin file found. I've tried Superoneclick also and it also failed. The Titanium backup justs hangs on looking for permission. What next?

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Please try to install appropriate USB Drivers on your PC and then try to connect your phone to PC.

For 32 Bit Windows (XP / Vista):

Try EasyTether Lite Drivers:

EasyTether - Android Tether Solution: EasyTether drivers

Click on 'Samsung' here:

Supplementary Windows-only drivers (require the core package above): Samsung / LG

How to Install official Samsung Drivers for Win XP/Vista.:

Detail instructions at:

Do I Need Samsung Android USB Drivers To Use My SPH-M910 (Intercept)?

Samsung

Click on Software Tab

See download icon/link under column File

I found that Windows 7 is very fussy about Android USB Drivers.

Download PdaNet

:D

crgrapid

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

To Root:

double click on START_ROOT.bat

i tried this way and it seemed to be succesful at finding my device, and it started up correctly, i left my computer for a while, i came back and it said it was complete, i checked my phone with a terminal app and it still says im not rooted

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

A lot of people on this forum advise that one need to install Custom Kernel first and then Custom Recovery (because if you install CM01 Custom Recovery on Stock Kernel then Stock Kernel tries to override CM01 Custom Recovery with Stock Recovery).

There are several methods to gain root. Depends on what kind of Root you want.

If you simple want temporary root then use ADB Tool Manual Method for temporary Root.

[GUIDE] - How to use ADB Tool Manual method for getting Temporary Root

If you want permanent root without installing rooted Kernel/rooted ROM then use this guide:

[GUIDE] - How to gain permanent root using ADB Tool - Without Rooted Kernel/ROM

If you want permanent root with rooted Kernel/rooted ROM then use this guide:

[GUIDE] - Install Custom Kernel using ADB Tool Manual Method - flash_image

Then install CM01 Custom Recovery on Custom rooted Kernel:

[GUIDE] - How to Install CM01 Custom Recovery using Manual ADB Tool Method

I personally did in the following order:

First install CM01 Custom Recovery on Stock Kernel:

[GUIDE] - How to Install CM01 Custom Recovery using Manual ADB Tool Method

Then install Custom Kernel usign CM01 Custom Recovery:

[GUIDE] - How to install Custom Kernel/ROM on your Intercept using CM01 Recovery

However, now I agree with the approach of applying rooted Custom Kernel first and then applying CM01 Custom Recovery.

fdossantos

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Is there a simple, straightforward way to root the Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept on a Mac? I've been hunting this solution on here and in the web since getting the phone last Christmas. Either one of these two roadblocks come up. 1) I need to have a Windows PC; 2) I gotta go with some kind of custom ROM.

My PC is a Mac, so that seems to limit me, but I am computer literate to navigate the terminal if need be to get to my second requirement: No custom ROMs. I just want to root the phone for one simple reason: To get rid of stock Virgin Mobile apps to free up space.

Is there a solution that allows for this?

Thank a lot.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Worked when the phone was first released. I can't be expected to keep up with every update that breaks root on every phone, unless someone is willing to donate one :)

I think my daughter would be pissed if I gave you her Wifi only Samsung Intercept personal media player.