VM Intercept Update On Schedule?

unwiredmedic

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I recently chatted with a Samsung Android engineer at CES in January and he has been keeping me apprised of the pace of the updates for the VM Intercept. He told me that the new ROM has left Samsung last week and it is waiting to clear the Sprint Labs. So this should simply be more evidence that we should be on track to getting Froyo around March 25th... finally.

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
April 1st week now! Here is the trail of VM USA Twitter Tweets so far -

February 15th, 2011 at 5:56 am
Virgin Mobile USA confirmed the upgrade on twitter with post:

@islandboy4lyfe Yes – the update will be coming this Spring – stay tuned for more specific details.
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:33:10 PM via web in reply to islandboy4lyfe

Virgin Mobile USA (virginmobileus) on Twitter

--------------------------------------------

February 17th, 2011 at 6:15 am
Latest tweet from Virgin Mobile USA regarding Samsung Intercept Froyo upgrade:

We know you have been asking for specifics on when VM will be getting the update to Android Froyo 2.2….it will be available about 3/25.
24 minutes ago via web

virginmobileus on twitter.com

----------------------------------------------------

March 23rd, 2011 at 10:50 am
Virgin Mobile USA is pushing back the Android 2.2 (FroYo) upgrade to first week of April 2011.

Here is from their Twitter Account:

@NG_Player I’m sorry, the update is being rescheduled due to some internal timing issues. It should be ready the first week of April.

about 2 hours ago via Radian6 in reply to NG_Player

thestudent

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
i put the 2.2 on from sprint and didnt do the baseband update . now its rooted and has 2.2 on it ill go back to factory 2.1 and take the vm 2.2 . let me tell ya dont through your phone against the wall just yet the 2.2 froyo hooks this phone up it runs like an android should . it dont even act like the same phone .

Last edited:

stonecomputers

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i put the 2.2 on from sprint and didnt do the baseband update . now its rooted and has 2.2 on it ill go back to factory 2.1 and take the vm 2.2 . let me tell ya dont through your phone against the wall just yet the 2.2 froyo hooks this phone up it runs like an android should . it dont even act like the same phone .

i know... Ive seen phones with less memory and slower procs out perform this phone. With 800MHz proc and 256 mb ram it should do a lot better than it does... does anyone know why its so slow? 2.1 wasnt that bad I got it on other devices (and it runs faster with less resources 128mb ram & 600MHz proc) so did sprint/VM just mess everything up?

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I think Samsung Intercept's UI(User Interface) bogged down the peformance? And the Sprint's verison of Samsung Intercept's UI was removed in Android 2.2 and it perform much better than android 2.1. Hopefully VM Samsung Intercept 2.2 are similar to Sprint Intercept(no UI or something like that)

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that Android 2.2 / Froyo will be rolled out in waves to Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept phones. What that means that upgrade available notifications will be sent to few thousand subscribers per day starting April 1st week (Could start April 1 or April 4). The upgrade will be rolled out in this manner during entire April.

I request to the people who receive upgrade notification from Virgin Mobile USA or Google, please pretty please post immediately on this forum or any other form of your liking. That way those who do not want to wait for notifications can try the following manual upgrade steps:

Can’t wait to receive the OTA prompt? Try the steps below to update manually.

Backup everything on your phone before you do any upgrade steps. Also, please read feedback on Forums from other people who already installed Froyo (Android 2.2) on their Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept phones.

From the Home screen, press Menu
Tap Settings
Flick down on the screen to scroll down; tap About Phone
Tap System updates > Update Firmware or Update Android
The device will check for updates
Follow instructions to install the update

fdossantos

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
VM Intercept Update Delayed - Again

According to the latest Twitter update on Froyo for VM's Samsung Intercept, the release is being pushed back to "later in the month." It's already been pushed back from 3/25 to the first week of April. Really curious what's so different about VM Intercept vs. Sprint's Intercept? Read the Tweet by following the link below.

Twitter

shmutt1980

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So the countdown is closing in on us VM intercept users yet again for the 2.2 froyo update, this time along side the federal government countdown. It was tweeted by @virginmobileus after complaining that it didnt hit during the 3/25 date, that it would by the end of the first week in April. So here we are yet again.... waiting...praying...hoping.... Beginning to lose my faith.

~~update~~ On Virgin Mobile USA Facebook page, people are posting today that they received a text message that they will receive the update on 04/11!!

Last edited:

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the notice, but have a big question.

I used the 2.1 flashing guide from XDA forums, so my Intercept isn't using VM's official ROM. Will it be safe to be assume XDA forums will have a 2.2 flash guide as well that runs faster than VM's own official ROM? I don't think I'll be able to apply VM's update without problems. Any thoughts???

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
:D

Here is the actual text/SMS message sent to select 5000 customers by Virgin Mobile USA:

VMFreeMsg: Starting 4/11/11, you will be notified of a phone software upgrade available for your Intercept. Click msg4u.us/isr for more information.

Here are details from the link above:

Virgin Mobile Home

Within the next few weeks you will be receiving a prompt on your phone to update your Intercept phone software from 2.1 ?clair to 2.2 Froyo. The update process will take 5-15 minutes to complete. Ensure that your phone is charged or connected to AC before clicking Restart and Install. Do not remove your battery during the update process.

Google or Exchange Contacts, Email accounts, Text Messages, Alarms and installed applications will be backed up and restored. A soft reset may be required to re-sync Calendar events. Music files, Photos and Videos are stored on the memory card and are not affected. Memos, Call Logs, Speed Dial numbers, Playlists, Folders, App shortcuts and Widgets will be deleted. Backup any important Memos before proceeding.Speed Dial numbers, Playlists, Folders, App shortcuts and Widgets can be recreated after the update is complete.

After the installation is complete, your phone will restart. You will be prompted to re-enter your Google Account Password.

Froyo 2.2 enhancements include:
? Exchange Active Sync updates
? ability to install applications to external memory card
? improved Bluetooth device support
? Bluetooth Voice dialing
? improved operating system performance
? dedicated phone, application and browser icons on every home screen

First lucky 5000 Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept subscribers ? enjoy the Froyo :)-))

:)

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Run Logcat before download/Install and save download location

:D

This is regarding Froyo release on VM USA Samsung Intercept.

Could you or any first 5000 lucky ones, please do the following?

Install any free Logcat App from Android Market and install on your phone this weekend prior to 4/11/2011.
When you see update ready notification on your phone, run Logcat App first.
Then, only download the update and choose option to install it later.
Check the log file created by Logcat and send the output to sdx-developers Forum. Especially, cut and paste the Google/VM/Sprint server names where Update is coming from and any user id and password (if there are any at all).
Also, please check whether your SD card shows update.zip in root folder of SD card.
If yes, please copy that file from your SD card root folder to your PC and post it to sdx-developers Forum.

This will help all rooted Samsung Intercept users on Virgin Mobile to get Update.zip of official Froyo Release.

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
VMUSA Froyo Release Schedule and Support

Here is standard Virgin Mobile USA Customer Service reponse to my e-mail:

Yes, the update will start with 5,000 Intercept users and we will continue to be released in waves of 5,000. There are no specific criteria to be selected first for the update other than you have to have an Intercept. The update has been tested so the first group is not to test the update we choosed 5,000 at a time to make sure the systems wont overload and will not crash our systems or skip anyone. I do not have a specific time of when the update will start or be finished by but, my guess is that the update will start around 8:00 AM central time as to not wake anyone with notifications early in the morning and I do not think that it should last more than a day or to for the update to reach everyone. If there is an issue like the famous "Bricking" that some devices have experienced during software upgrades you will either have to deal with the place of purchase or if they will not help we will send you another phone in a timely manor. That should not happen due to extensive testing. If you do not wish to wait until the system notify you to update you phone you will be able to choose the option to manually update. I highly recommend backing up all person information like music, contacts, calendar events, memos, applications, or anything else that is important to you.

:cool:

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
VMUSA Latest Froyo Release Status on Twitter

Here is latest from Virgin Mobile USA Twitter Account regarding Samsung Intercept Froyo Release:

VMUcareVirginMobileUSA Care

@

@2010GLEEk The update has been released in waves. If you received a notification, you will receive the update today. ^SB

40 minutes agoFavoriteRetweetReply

:cool:

Rence

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How would the updating process change if you choose to update later? Could you just select update inside Settings and update in the exact same way as if you had chosen to update directly after downloading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton