VMUSA Samsung Intercept - Pre Froyo / Android 2.2 upgrade steps - From Sprint

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Here are few steps for Samsung Intercept Froyo / Android 2.2 upgrade. These are based on Sprint Samsung Intercept Android 2.2 / Froyo release. Sprint was too good to their customers to post release notes in advance.

From Sprint Samsung Intercept

Important Notes:

- Ensure your battery is fully charged before applying the update.
- DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY UNTIL AFTER THE UPDATE HAS

COMPLETED AND THE HANDSET REBOOTED. THE INITIAL REBOOT MAY TAKE UP

TO 10 MINUTES AS FINAL CHANGES ARE COMPLETED
- This update may result in data loss. Please visit the FAQs located at

SAMSUNG's Digital World prior to initiating the update.

For detail Sprint release notes check:

Sprint Community: Samsung Intercept: Samsung Intercept Maintenance Releases

From Samsung site for Sprint Samsung Intercept:

Application and Settings considerations on the DL05 Android 2.2 (Froyo) Software Update

Support for Adobe Flash 10.1 is not included.
The Memo application and any memos will be removed. Please BACKUP IMPORTANT MEMOS prior to performing the update.
To save important memos, you can copy and paste the memos to an email and send it to an email address.
During the update, the Phone application Call Log will be deleted
Upon completion of the update, you will be asked to re-enter your Google account credentials. You will also be required to activate Exchange Admin to enable new features.
Camera settings will be reset to default upon completion of the update.
Once your device has completed the update installation, it may take up to 10 minutes to restore your data (depending upon sync settings).
Once installation is complete, you may have to re-enable synchronization for some of your social network accounts in order to regain access to those contacts and information.

Please read more at:

When & How Can I Receive The Latest Official Android OS Update For My Sprint SPH-M910 (Intercept) Phone?

Hopefully, Virgin Mobile USA or Sprint will be kind enough to us Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept users and post something similar to either Virgin Mobile USA website or Sprint web site. Some general instructions seem applicable to Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept users too

:):D

bigbillSD

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Virgin Mobile's Android support team. Having called the 3 other times with network issues and never having been told there was a Android support team I was dumbfounded. Anyway, she reset my network then had me go to the phone keypad and put in ##847446# to access a screen I had not seen before, I then had to enter my MDN and MSID. But the reason I added this to this thread is she said April 10th is the date for the VM intercept upgrade to Froyo v2.2 She said I would go to the android market to get it which sounded odd to me. Any thoughts? -Bill

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
@bigbillSD - I have seen many posts on Facebook and Twitter from Virgin Mobile USA customer service reps. Every post has different contents. There is not consistent message coming out of Virgin Mobile USA customer service. Sometimes it is internal issues or scheduling issues or software issues or internal timing issues. We do not even know whether the release will be done by Sprint (which seems logical as Sprint owns Virgin Mobile USA and all the network) or Virgin Mobile USA. The way things are moving I suspect that it is Sprint who is handling the Froyo release to Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept phones. Also, Sprint is not passing on accurate information to Virgin Mobile USA. It looks like everythime Virgin Mobile USA is getting different answer from Sprint about the release. Sprint is not providing the information on exact nature of the issue with the upgrade - whether it is problem with Froyo itself or it is problem with Virgin Mobile related Apps or whether it is problem with phone radio. Sprint already handled (and messed up) Froyo release to Sprint Samsung Intercept subscribers. I hope they will use all that experience to resolve all the issues in advance and provide Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept subscribers a flawless release. Now that they have delayed the release so many times that all Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Intercept subscribers expect perfect release. Virgin Mobile USA is telling their subscribers that they want no issues in Froyo release. So Virgin Mobile USA has set the bar very high for themselves. I hope Sprint and Virgin Mobile USA are working very hard and efficiently to resolve all issues as quickly as they can. So far this delayed Froyo release has not made into mainstream media - TV, print and web. I am sure it is just a matter of time that the news will be discussed in media and will give Virgin Mobile USA and Sprint a very bad name and they will lose trust of their pre-paid customers. I hope Sprint and Virgin Mobile USA get their act together and do the correct thing this time around!

On top of this, Virgin Mobile USA oversold LG Optimus V phones. Thoses subscribers are going crazy with Froyo 2.2 Android, unlimited data and Apps. They overloaded and almost brought down Sprint network which Sprint upgraded for capacity. This all happened prior to March 25 date when Virgin Mobile USA was supposed to releae Froyo for us. Those LG Optimus V users are not making life easy for Virgin Mobile USA customer service reps with incessant calls regarding 3G data slowness. Probably, Virgin Mobile USA wants all 3G issues die down and then release Froyo. Meanwhile, Sprint released Froyo to Samsung Transfor and Samsung Epic phones (Those phone owners with contract service were angry with Sprint for scheduling Froyo release to Samsung Intercept first eventhough those phones are top of the line).

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
:)

Just adding VM USA instructions:

VMFreeMsg: Starting 4/11/11, you will be notified of a phone software upgrade available for your Intercept. Click http://msg4u.us/isr for more information.

The message from the above link is as follows:

Virgin Mobile Home

Within the next few weeks you will be receiving a prompt on your phone to update your Intercept phone software from 2.1 ?clair to 2.2 Froyo. The update process will take 5-15 minutes to complete. Ensure that your phone is charged or connected to AC before clicking Restart and Install. Do not remove your battery during the update process.

Google or Exchange Contacts, Email accounts, Text Messages, Alarms and installed applications will be backed up and restored. A soft reset may be required to re-sync Calendar events. Music files, Photos and Videos are stored on the memory card and are not affected. Memos, Call Logs, Speed Dial numbers, Playlists, Folders, App shortcuts and Widgets will be deleted. Backup any important Memos before proceeding.Speed Dial numbers, Playlists, Folders, App shortcuts and Widgets can be recreated after the update is complete.

After the installation is complete, your phone will restart. You will be prompted to re-enter your Google Account Password.

Froyo 2.2 enhancements include:
? Exchange Active Sync updates
? ability to install applications to external memory card
? improved Bluetooth device support
? Bluetooth Voice dialing
? improved operating system performance
? dedicated phone, application and browser icons on every home screen

:D

Reactions: SparksGuy

SparksGuy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Virgin Mobile, Samsung Intercept, got the 2.2.2 update roll-out Monday morning, April 18th, 2011 (maybe it was Tuesday). It all seemed to go well with no issues to report, except that weather bug is not loading. We have had trouble with that before so I'm not sure that it is related.

I was pleased to see 2 additional "home" screens with dots indicating page numbering. The lock screen is now side swipe (or mute call) in place of up. Tentatively, pop email was working correctly, which never did before, yeh!

We had NOT seen any notice from VM as was shown in this thread. Maybe we missed it. I am reluctant to ask my wife if she lost any Memos, Folders, App shortcuts or Widgets. We did NOT backup or document these before starting the update. It did not occur to me, darn it. I am just glad the battery was fully charged.

shirley in nj

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
HOW do I back up memo's, folders, etc. prior to upgrade? I'd love to just copy & paste them into an email, but my phone is currently stuck in the Android System Recovery screen. Another site's directions on backing up my phone got me stuck there. How do I get out of it? None of the buttons other than volume (for arrowing up and down) are working. Should I remove battery?

Also, is it important to back up the phone (apart from above items) prior to upgrading?

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Select reboot system now and press Square Optical Joystick button

Please highlight or move to option - reboot system now - in Recovery Menu. It is the first option in Recovery menu.

Press square black Optical Joystick button (between Call button and Call End/Power button) to select the option.

:)

Please also note that soft swiping over Square Black Optical Joystick button works same as up and down arrows.

Reactions: shirley in nj

shirley in nj

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much!!

I finally called Samsung, and they told me the same thing.

I hit EVERY button, but that one - for some reason I always forget about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech