Moment 2.1 Changes/Findings Thread

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Very, VERY smooth, clean upgrade! Thank You, Sprint... for making it go so well.

I'm very pleased with 2.1 so far. As others have mentioned, it "is" missing/lacking the 3D App Drawer, 5 Homescreens, Live Wallpaper and pinch&zoom but everything else is there and working beautifully.

/BD :cool:

If you think you need 5 homescreens download Helix Launcher (not helix launcher 2) from the market. Helix launcher has up to 7 home screens. And its a free download.

SDX-Developers has live wall paper working. And the 3d App drawer. Heres the link
http://forum.sdx-developers.com/and...ndroid-de03-2-1-with-joeykrim-recovery-2-1-3/

The Samsung Moment does not have the hardware to support pinch zoom or multi touch.

Last edited:

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you do a system backup before you flash youll have everything, including apps
LSanna1488, I went to Sprint today and they updated the phone to 2.1 (after me telling them it was available). I backed everything (I thought) up using My Backup Pro just before and removed my SD card before they updated. I lost most everything I really needed. My memos, paid apps, etc. When I had my Palm phones I used NV Backup and the many times that I would change phones or hard reset a phone, it never failed to bring the phone back to the exact way it was before in just minutes. How do you do a system backup, and will that backup everything, ringers, settings, data, etc.?

If anyone knows of a backup program that does for Android all that NV Backup did for Palm, please let me know. Please, as I'm sure you can understand, only answer if you have used it to restore from a hard reset, as before today I would've answered to use My Backup Pro. :confused:

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Imtravis, what are you doing about the radio lockup issues? I'm having the same problems. Sigh

Same thing I've always had to do, pull the battery and pray that it works when it comes back up. I've sent an email to Dan@sprint.com and am going to see if they'll change my upgrade date for the Evo, and get rid of this troublesome issue.

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
LSanna1488, I went to Sprint today and they updated the phone to 2.1 (after me telling them it was available). I backed everything (I thought) up using My Backup Pro just before and removed my SD card before they updated. I lost most everything I really needed. My memos, paid apps, etc. When I had my Palm phones I used NV Backup and the many times that I would change phones or hard reset a phone, it never failed to bring the phone back to the exact way it was before in just minutes. How do you do a system backup, and will that backup everything, ringers, settings, data, etc.?

If anyone knows of a backup program that does for Android all that NV Backup did for Palm, please let me know. Please, as I'm sure you can understand, only answer if you have used it to restore from a hard reset, as before today I would've answered to use My Backup Pro. :confused:

I feel your loss. Unfortunately My Backup Pro only backs up data and apps. What you needed to do was to boot into recovery, by holding down... "vol down, send, and end keys" selecting system then backup. This makes a COMPLETE backup of your entire system. Settings and such as well. Im not sure if there is a app or program that does what NV Backup does for the Android. If everything was on your sd card it will still be there, youll just have to find the program or app to open it again. And as far as your paid apps go, all you should have to do is to reinstall them. If it doesnt work email the developers of the apps and they should let you redownload for free

Last edited:

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I feel your loss. Unfortunately My Backup Pro only backs up data and apps. What you needed to do was to boot into recovery, by holding down... "vol down, send, and end keys" selecting system then backup. This makes a COMPLETE backup of your entire system. Settings and such as well. Im not sure if there is a app or program that does what NV Backup does for the Android. If everything was on your sd card it will still be there, youll just have to find the program or app to open it again. And as far as your paid apps go, all you should have to do is to reinstall them. If it doesnt work email the developers of the apps and they should let you redownload for free
Thank you for the quick reply. When you boot into recovery does that save on the SD card? I wouldn't know otherwise how the backup would work if you changed phones?

I do think though that I have bigger issues than that now. My battery, which used to last over a day (I'm a light user) went from fully charged at 2:00 a.m. last night to 30% this morning at 8:30 a.m. when I woke up. I don't have any programs extra on the phone from before with the exception of Google Goggles and the ones that came with the upgrade. This could really be a deal breaker for me as I should not have to carry an extra battery around. I also wonder if the Sprint store switched a bad battery for my good one as they were really pissed that I had to tell them that there is an upgrade and that Sprint's own website said they advise people to bring them in for the upgrade when they told me that was something I had to do myself. ??? Thanks again.

Last edited:

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. When you boot into recovery does that save on the SD card? I wouldn't know otherwise how the backup would work if you changed phones?

I do think though that I have bigger issues than that now. My battery, which used to last over a day (I'm a light user) went from fully charged at 2:00 a.m. last night to 30% this morning at 8:30 a.m. when I woke up. I don't have any programs extra on the phone from before with the exception of Google Goggles and the ones that came with the upgrade. This could really be a deal breaker for me as I should not have to carry an extra battery around. I also wonder if the Sprint store switched a bad battery for my good one as they were really pissed that I had to tell them that there is an upgrade and that Sprint's own website said they advise people to bring them in for the upgrade when they told me that was something I had to do myself. ??? Thanks again.

Yes all backups are saved to the sd card. As far as the battery goes, download a taskiller or task manager from the market, also make sure that your gps is off, bluetooth and wifi is off. Those are major suckers of the battery. The sprint stores dont carry extra batteries for this phone unless it was a 30 day return, in which case that battery was still new. There is another website that you can find ALOT of answers to your questions. SDX-Developers. They have instructions on how to root your phone, customizations, bootscreen logos, animations. Amongst other things. Sign up on their forum, theres tons of things to read. Any other questions dont hesitate to ask me.

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you again. I walked into Best Buy a few minutes ago since I have their insurance and told them the battery went from 100% to 30% in 6 1/2 hours while I slept. They took a new one out of a new box (with phone) and handed it to me in exchange for the other one. So now, at least, I'll have some comparisson. This girl there looked at my phone and 1st thing she said was that she saw I had the Advanced Task Killer. What amazes me is how many programs run in the background and I haven't the slightest idea of how to stop them. The worst is Nuance, and I never use it. It's on as soon as I kill it and it seems I can't delete it. By the way, when I hold down the volume down, send and end keys together all I get is the popup that asks if I want to power down or silent the phone. Thanks again for everything. :)

anon(22465)

May 15, 2010
Visit site
upgrade problem

Downloaded, and installed update program, and followed all instructions to the point where you click the button to start the actual upgrade. The progress bar on my computer shows up, but in the progress bar, it immediately upon starting the install shows, "Elapsed time : 4sec....0%". This has been showing now for over 10min, without changing. Just wondering if i need restart the install process, and whether I'm going to mess the phone up by doing so, or if I'm not being patient enough and it's actually doing what it's supposed to. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you again. I walked into Best Buy a few minutes ago since I have their insurance and told them the battery went from 100% to 30% in 6 1/2 hours while I slept. They took a new one out of a new box (with phone) and handed it to me in exchange for the other one. So now, at least, I'll have some comparisson. This girl there looked at my phone and 1st thing she said was that she saw I had the Advanced Task Killer. What amazes me is how many programs run in the background and I haven't the slightest idea of how to stop them. The worst is Nuance, and I never use it. It's on as soon as I kill it and it seems I can't delete it. By the way, when I hold down the volume down, send and end keys together all I get is the popup that asks if I want to power down or silent the phone. Thanks again for everything. :)

You need to make sure that the end key is the last one pressed. Then hold all 3 down until the screen comes on...BTW you need to do this while the phone is already OFF. Sorry I didnt specify. After the screen starts let the buttons go. the next screen will be the recovery screen. Click on system, then back up, then the home button, and it will save your backup to your sd card. Let me know if this helps, or if you have any problems or questions

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded, and installed update program, and followed all instructions to the point where you click the button to start the actual upgrade. The progress bar on my computer shows up, but in the progress bar, it immediately upon starting the install shows, "Elapsed time : 4sec....0%". This has been showing now for over 10min, without changing. Just wondering if i need restart the install process, and whether I'm going to mess the phone up by doing so, or if I'm not being patient enough and it's actually doing what it's supposed to. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I would try shutting down computer and phone. Then reboot both, and ONLY open the SWUpdater on your computer. Let the drivers install and try the process again.

Go to SDX-Developers they have excellent instructions and options to get your moment running nice.

Last edited:

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
thought he said there was no state tax in Fl or something along those lines. we are working, but its sloooooooooooooow. we have a couple of good size projects that are being held up by paperwork. hoping that changes soon.

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You need to make sure that the end key is the last one pressed. Then hold all 3 down until the screen comes on...BTW you need to do this while the phone is already OFF. Sorry I didnt specify. After the screen starts let the buttons go. the next screen will be the recovery screen. Click on system, then back up, then the home button, and it will save your backup to your sd card. Let me know if this helps, or if you have any problems or questions
Just an update. Sorry, still couldn't get that to work on either my Moment with 2.1 or my wife's with 1.5. Neither of ours is rooted if that makes a difference. That's okay. I would like to back hers up so she will want the update but she doesn't want to go through what I've gone through. With the new battery my phone stayed at 100% all night, so I'm a happy camper. Thank you for all your unselfish help you are giving me and everyone else here. I hope people appreciate what a treasure it is to have someone like you on the board. :D