Reconsidering Android

rlcressy

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Last year I finally tired of Windows making me clear my phone every time they posted an update and went to Android. So now, Android required me to clear my phone in order to update to 2.1

Now; I find out that Sprint will not update my Moment to 2.2! What do I have to do to get updates that should be available to everyone? I know, I could root my phone, but I have heard too many horror stories to want to try that.

Sprint will have to deal with my comments and I am sure, many others as well.

Just venting.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
With apps like My Backup Pro (among others) , is "clearing" your phone really that big a deal? Mind you- It would be great if the phone could be flashed without the hassle- and I think they should include proper backup to SD card JUST for this reason, so firmware flashes can be done safely and easily for general consumers- but you do have some options.

SirThale

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Not just Android

When I upgraded my BlackBerry OS version I had the same thing happen - had to wipe everything out. RIM has decent backup tools provided with the BlackBerry, but that didn't transfer everything over (I presume because of the major version change). And my most recent BB that I changed to (came out at the very end of 2009) won't upgrade to the newest BB OS being released this fall, so I feel your pain! At least you're not alone...

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Froyo 2.2 is only for phones that are considered "higher end" devices meaning you need to have at least a 1ghz processor or better (per cnet). The samsung moment, per cnet, has an 800 mhz processor which means it does fall into the "higher end" device list. If you want 2.2 froyo then you need to get the interceot which is the newer version of the moment BUT the intercept runs rev 0 evdo and it has a funky screen resolution which is affecting its ability to run some android apps. I encourage you to keep android because it is defintiely more stable and infinitely better than any crap microsoft puts out. I know because I tolerated a horrible excuse for a 'smart' phone that ran windows mobile os...htc did a good job on the phone except they made a smart phone into a dumb phone by adding the wim mobile os. I lost count of how many times I had to battery pull my win mobile phone daily because it frose up along with lost calls because it frose up daily, I could go on how much I hated that horrid piece of crap win mobile os but I won't , I think I made my point in showing imho that android is the superier os.