Using ringtones for message alerts

kjwhite622

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way on the Moment to use the ringtones or even ringtones I've downloaded for message alerts. Is there a way to download them to my alerts. I think I am missing something simple and feel very stupid. I have downloaded ringtones and alerts but both end up in my music playlist file and I only see an option to set as ringtone. Hopefully someone can direct me in how to do this.

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications
/sdcard/media/audio/alarms
/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

Can have duplicates if you want to use the same sound for a ringtone and a notification. Putting them in those directories keeps them out of the media player playlists.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Hmmmm I might well do that myself on my Pulse and see what happens...

ADDENDUM: It appears that the aRing utility I installed to enable the use of external ring tones for message alerts has already done the notifications and ringtones folders for me so I only had to add the alarms one.

Phil.

Last edited:

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications
/sdcard/media/audio/alarms
/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

Can have duplicates if you want to use the same sound for a ringtone and a notification. Putting them in those directories keeps them out of the media player playlists.

How do you set this up? Do you make different folders on your sd card exactly as you stated above and when inserted in the phone it will show up as seperate sections under sound and display?

I feel a little stupid asking but I didn't really know how to do it. All mine show up in one place as you stated above and I hate scrolling through all of them to find the one I want to use.

jeremylobaugh

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How do you set this up? Do you make different folders on your sd card exactly as you stated above and when inserted in the phone it will show up as seperate sections under sound and display?

I feel a little stupid asking but I didn't really know how to do it. All mine show up in one place as you stated above and I hate scrolling through all of them to find the one I want to use.

what they are saying is that you need to plug the handset into the computer, and mount the sd card. Once you've done that browse the card and find the media folder. Open the folder and make sure the following three folders are in there: notifications, alarms, and ringtones. If any of them are missing, make them. Once they are all there, move the files around to your liking within those three folders. Before trying to set them as ringers, make sure you unmount the sd card, otherwise the phone will not be able to read whats on the flash card.

HTH:)

jblommie

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Greetings: I did everything you have stated with no luck. I have been trying to input ringtones and notifications from Zedge. Please advise. Oh one more thing...I'm using a Spring HTC Android. Thanks much

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Have you guys tried using Rings Extended from the market? You merely have to save the files to your SD card and then when you go to set the sounds in the app, it will ask if you want to use rings extended and you can set other sounds :)

Or make a folder on the SD card called Media, and within that make one called Notifications (for sms/mms/email etc) and one called Ringtones (for calls)

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Rings Extended was very easy for me personally. I would think you should be good to go with it.

Just a question, and a silly one at that. Are you sure you moved the files to that location after making the folder?

fatsack

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
can anyone tell me how to seperate my ringtones and my music all my ringtones end up mixed in my music and i even seperated all the folders,