KansasCityJoe

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Here are the details:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: S:M900.8.05.DC23
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build number: ECLAIR.DC23

Just got it early this morning and it is not for general release yet. I just started playing with it, but it seems much faster/more responsive than 1.5.

It does not appear to have pinch-to-zoom on either the Gallery or the Browser. Same backgrounds/bloatware that 1.5 has. When you launch NFL Mobile Live, it tells you it will be replaced by "Sprint Football Live".

It actually, now, has VPN built in (PPTP, L2TP, L2TP/IPSec both PSK and Certificate-based). Bluetooth is vastly improved. There is no more cutting out. Your headset will re-pair without having to put the phone into discoverable mode after you reboot.

You slide-to-answer a phone call now. It has voice input ("an experimental feature using Google's networked speech recognition") built it and it actually works! No more texting while driving! Extremely cool!

Email will now work with any certificate (not just signed).

The update erases everything on the device, and it's probably a good idea just to reinstall everything from scratch. Some of the 1.5 apps I'm not finding in the Market for 2.1. And some versions of apps in the Market say they don't work with 2.0 yet.

I'll post more as I find interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
no live wallpapers? how bout the new gallery app? web browser improved? (now more loading zoomed in already?)

release date? battery life?

thanx for the info

mustangboy88#AC

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we are getting live wallpaper because the processor can't support it. But I may be wrong. Can you make a youtube video so we can see it in action?

joeykrim

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
a ROM dump would be great!!
if the kernel has the config.gz compiled in with it, it is small and would be great to see that also!

from the command line:
adb pull /proc/config.gz c:\config.gz

directions for setting up ADB - http://wiki.sdx-developers.com/index.php?title=ADB

if it says, "remote object '/proc/config.gz' does not exist" it wasn't compiled in and it didnt hurt to try!

Last edited:

pdx77

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Live wallpapers???? Flash???

We do know for a fact that it's not going to include Flash since Adobe has come out and said flash won't work on our devices..... however some good news is that Skyfire is working on an Android version

KansasCityJoe

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll be glad to do a video cap. Does someone have a good tool to capture the screen, or is the lower-tech approach like a Flip video the best? Tell me what you want screen shots of :)

I'm a little hesitant to do a ROM dump but this IS going to be out on the open market shortly and I do mean shortly.

Gallery is different. I don't know how to describe it but it comes up with something like a folder view with a preview. On mine, I have 4 categories: "Camera pictures", "Camera media" (which seems to contain the same thing as "camera pictures"), "All videos" and "download". It appears to find every piece of media on the SD card and some items get duplicated.

Somebody asked about battery life. It seems to be about the same as 1.5 CL14. I did quite a bit of playing around at lunch. Downloaded Google Goggles and taking pictures seemed to eat up some battery. So did the location function. So, yeah, about the same.

My impressions are that, yeah, this is 2.1 but the more I play with it the more I feel there's nothing really earth shattering. To me it seems more like better speed and bug fixes. But being able to actually run 2.0+'ish things like Google navigation is cool.

pdx77

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Video using flip would be nice, perhaps of the browser, homepage, about screen etc.... But a ROM dump would be nice ;).

So it does for sure support google's text so speech? Like on the Google search widget a little microphone appears along side the magnifying glass?

BTW, you should head over to http://www.sdx-developers.com/ lots of good information there.

KansasCityJoe

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I've already customized my home page and wallpaper but I'll be glad to show it. It does support text to speech and, yes, it has the little microphone on the bottom row to the left. It works well.

I don't see Skyfire yet in the Market.

Keep in mind, though, I've had it for less than 12 hours. Ask me on Monday or Tuesday!

pdx77

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Skyfire won't be in the market as it's not out yet, this was to the person who was asking about Flash.... since Skyfire sorta works like Opera Mini where everything is rendered server side supporting flash, silverlight, quicktime, etc.... It's only in Alpha now.

avacomputers

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've already customized my home page and wallpaper but I'll be glad to show it. It does support text to speech and, yes, it has the little microphone on the bottom row to the left. It works well.

I don't see Skyfire yet in the Market.

Keep in mind, though, I've had it for less than 12 hours. Ask me on Monday or Tuesday!

I still call bs.

joeykrim

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little hesitant to do a ROM dump
could you explain this comment? why are you hesitant?

I'll be glad to do a video cap. Does someone have a good tool to capture the screen, or is the lower-tech approach like a Flip video the best? Tell me what you want screen shots of :)
ddms which comes with the adb tools, is a great tool for screen captures. type ddms in the android-sdk directory and it will launch. common screen captures are the about screen with all the version information, default home screen, app drawer, etc.

Last edited: