Switch to a Moment from a Pre

anon(12930)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I was at the Sprint store looking for a phone to replace my wife's original HTC Touch Pro. She instantly gravitated to the Moment since it still has the slide-out keyboard. After playing around with the demo unit for a little while, she handed it over to me to get my opinion. In short, we ended up leaving the store with two of them. :) After messing with the Moment last night and this morning, I'm completely hooked. The build quality feels a ton better than the Pre, and I'm loving all the applications available in the market. I don't think I'll ever look back.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing about a week ago. Actually bought the moment used as I just wanted to get used to android while waiting for the EVO. I was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy using the moment. I installed 2.1 on it a couple days ago and it is even better. Honestly thought I'd miss WebOS more than I am.

If you want to try 2.1 the following tutorial is by far the easiest to follow:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/62674-how-install-2-1-root-dummys.html

Last edited:

anon(12930)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought about loading 2.1 on it, but since Sprint announced it was coming in the next few weeks I think I'll just wait for the official update.

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
SDX-Developers Forum has all of the download links and complete instructions for updating to 2.1 dd10 and root with custom roms already available

Now 2.1 dd10 is NOT the official update, however personally I feel that I have my Moment better equipped than the official release is going to be. All Sprint bloatware (unnecessary apps) removed. Such as Football, Sprint nav, Sprint TV, Bejeweled Demo, amongst others that Sprint just has to put on our phones.

Last edited:

anon(12930)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing about a week ago. Actually bought the moment used as I just wanted to get used to android while waiting for the EVO. I was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy using the moment. I installed 2.1 on it a couple days ago and it is even better. Honestly thought I'd miss WebOS more than I am.

If you want to try 2.1 the following tutorial is by far the easiest to follow:

HOW TO: Install 2.1 and Root (for dummy's) - Android Forums
Thanks for the link. I decided to go ahead and update to DD10. I was surprised at how easy it was. Now my phone is even better.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I decided to go ahead and update to DD10. I was surprised at how easy it was. Now my phone is even better.

Glad it went well. 2.1 is definitely a nice update over 1.5 and is an easy process. It is also just as easy to go back to 1.5 if you would ever want to.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually using both a Moment and a Pre. I got my Pre back on launch day in June. I wanted to try Android so I bought a Moment off of ebay to use while my Pre was out for repair. (Best Buy repair plan) I really like the Moment and Android but I just couldn't give up webOS. So now I am back to my Pre for my main device and I use Mobile Hotspot and tether the Moment when I want to use it.

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I LOVED my Pre but the keyboard and 6 Pre's later, it was time for a change. Tried the Hero but was way too laggy. So went to the Moment and love it! Can't wait for 2.1! Has minor issues with the signal sometimes but what phone is perfect?

Besides of Blackberries (ancient os with terrible browser), imho, the Moment is the best phone out if you have to have a physical keyboard.

pixielee#AC

Apr 23, 2010
pixiesmeadow.com
Im so glad I found this thread .. ive been in a serious love/hate relationship with my Palm Pre since June launch .. I was on my 3rd exchange when I accidentally left it on the hood of my car this week, and drove away ... I was about to pay the 100.00 deductible when I asked sprint if I could use my 1 yr upgrade now, instead of waiting until June ... they offered me a samsung moment as a free replacement (im a long time customer) - I said sure!! I was scared I might be regretting it .. but so far the only negative thing ive heard is the short battery life (im hoping someone makes an extended battery soon!!)

anon(12930)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
From my experience the 2.1 DD10 update has slightly better battery life than the stock ROM. I'd love an extended battery though. I had one for me Pre and that's probably about the only thing I really miss about it. The battery life on my Moment on 2.1 DD10 is about the same as my Pre with the stock battery.

dustin_thewind

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I was at the Sprint store looking for a phone to replace my wife's original HTC Touch Pro. She instantly gravitated to the Moment since it still has the slide-out keyboard. After playing around with the demo unit for a little while, she handed it over to me to get my opinion. In short, we ended up leaving the store with two of them. :) After messing with the Moment last night and this morning, I'm completely hooked. The build quality feels a ton better than the Pre, and I'm loving all the applications available in the market. I don't think I'll ever look back.

I AGREE!! I switched from the pre to the moment yesterday (thanks to having too many pres and getting sprint to give me a moment instead). I'm quite impressed with it!!! :)

davecttt

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
alot

Seems like a lot of ex-Pre owners here. I love the WebOS platform, but it got no respect and the PRE's build quality was crap. Went through three PRE's and one PIXI before I called it quits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781