Samsung Pay Works, Except at Target.

Tam-fils Salomon

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
On Thursday September 17th I was able to upgrade the app at 7:00 am. I wasn't able to enter my card information at first, keep having "can't connect to server" issue. After doing some googling, I found out that if your phone is encrypted it won't work. hour half later i decrypt my phone and blam it work. Around 10:30 a.m I went to my school's book store to buy naked ( smoothie )($3.75). I tried Samsung pay with my BOA debit card it didn't work I then switched to the BOA credit and work flawlessly. Lady was amazed and shocked. Around 12:30 pm i walked to my school cafe and bought a sub from subway ($8 something) with my debit card and it worked flawlessly. She assumed it was apple pay but, of course I corrected her and told her it was Samsung pay. Later that day I went to the gas station ( speed way) and purchased $20 worth of gas, inside, worked flawlessly, so far so good. Friday around 8:20 am went to the same book store and bought a Naked. The cashier was flabbergasted " OMG i've never seen that before is that a thing now? Did you just hacked my machine?" I walked away smiling and other cashier lady told the flabbergasted cashier lady that it was Apple pay and of course I had to correct her assumption. I looked her in the eye and said " No Samsung pay" and quietly left. Felt like a character walking away from an explosion. So Later I walked in Target to buy a computer mice ($40 something), again the cashier was amazed what i was doing laid my phone next to the card swipe. it worked, enter my pin, Transaction went through all of a sudden the little menu screen showed a red text stating that the bank (BOA) cancelled the transaction. Because my card have a chip I had to redo the whole process and stick my card inside the machine for 15 seconds then i pulled it out.There goes my mojo right there, because of the chip the transaction was cancelled hopefully BOA fixes that. BOA knows if i'm using Samsung pay because on my statement it shows mobile pay for each transaction.

Last edited:

RastahMastah

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Maybe target had a problem because they enhanced security in their store? Since they had that hack on their merchant machines.

Posted via the Android Central App

schj98

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I've used Samsung Pay at Target multiple times with no issues.

The card I use with samsung pay does require insertion in the terminal when using the physical card.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I used it at target during the beta and even today on release, only thing is that i had to use cc instead of debit. I think the reason is its not the chip it's trying to figure out where to put a pin for debit. Same instance happened at a 711 would read the debit I got error card read but used the CC and it worked fine. They both are BOK cards. Bc if you notice Walmart also has the chip reader at bottom but u can use you samsung pay there.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got the app today, loaded my BoA debit card and Amex. My S6 worked fine at target this morning as I used it as a credit like described above.

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly I just tried using my Citi card and BoA card at Target and got the dreaded "Error reading card" message on their EVM readers. My local supermarket worked fine.

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I also tried it at an iPad based POS on Friday and that failed to work too. I hope they can get some of these reader issues ironed out.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to try it a IHOP tonite and see if it works there.

It didn't work with my debit card but it worked with my CC card. The machete manager allowed me to reach over and use it he was shocked and said wow what is that. Told him what it was and he compared it to Apple lol

kenrb

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the problem, at Target, also. It was with a Citi card that has the chip. Got the card reader error message. It worked fine at a local grocery store.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just made a purchase at Target today using Samsung Pay... It does work... You have to move the phone around their card readers but it should work

Sent from my Asus Zenphone 2!

schj98

May 22, 2010
Visit site
If you receive a card read error try repositioning your phone it should work once you find the right spot.

Chip cards do work at Target via Samsung Pay.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
After October 15 banks and stores that don't support contactless payments will be liable for any fraudulent transactions. So I'm thinking that if your bank issues you a credit/debit card with the chip in it they're going to force you to use that or Apple/Android Pay if the terminal supports contactless. In other words, magnetic strip payments won't be accepted if the card and terminal both support contactless payments, even though the cards and terminals will still support magnetic. It's basically a way to force everyone to use the new (for US) chip payments standard. It's probably up to each bank whether or not they want to put this type of requirement on their cards though.

Abhinav Kochhar

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay is designed to work with a swipe for the chip based cards also. So there is nothing to worry as all banks have agreed to accept swipes instead of inserting those cards.