Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
@averypa

Make sure you use the security code provided by Samsung Pay and not the actual security code on the card. They are different --probably for security reasons. That is the only reason why I think it would be declined -unless the card has some dollar limit or is not part of the SSP program. When I registered my AMEX cards, Samsung and Amex both sent me emails that my cards were registered and could be used with SSP. I tried to register my USAA card with SSP but it could not be used with SSP,
Good luck!

Used at Post Office, Target, CVS, Trader Joes, Whole Food, Safeway, Savemart, Starbucks, Home Depot, and a few other stores that I can't remember off hand.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
@romeobob2

Don't hold the phone near the NFC pad --try placing ("hovering," not swiping) the phone where the old fashioned slot for credit cards is on the side of the machine.
The signal is not that strong and won't hit the card strip reader if you hold it up by the Apple Pay receiver.

Also, while Apple Pay is NFC, I don't think it works for Samsung Pay or even Android Pay. I think (but am not sure) that Apple Pay is proprietary.

Last edited:

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I just registered with Samsung Pay yesterday, and I can't get any MST transactions to work- the 'card' is read fine, but the transaction ALWAYS gets declined; if I pull out the physical card, the transaction goes through. Also if I use Samsung Pay at an NFC enabled terminal it will go through... Any suggestions? Neither my bank (Navy Federal Credit Union) nor Samsung Pay Support have any ideas. For reference I tried MST at the following places:
-Rite Aid
-Card enabled (not NFC) soda machine
-7 Eleven
-Campus convenience store

Posted via the Android Central App

If u r using it at debit try it as credit. Some places system will not do debit but credit will work so just cancel debit and select credit. If this doesn't work try deleting the card and reading it. Also did u have to call your bank or get the email when u set it up initially?

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Great response Nathan, with all these post everyone is remembering tips and tricks and passing it on. How's it been going for you when using Samsung Pay?

On a side note how many people use NFC when given the chance or you just stick to MST?

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Soooo what about it working but the transaction never showing up on your statement? Used Citibank credit card at Walmart, went thru but never saw the transaction and a couple of days later, Citi called me talking about "possible fraud" so I had to close my account and get a new card. I had not been using the card for months, that is why I am thinking Samsung Pay is the culprit. But I guess I got $100 worth of stuff for free. This hasn't happened to anyone??

The only thing I can say to that being a fraud it could be that you may had to have called the bank upon setup or reply to an email you should have been given an option of one of the 2. When u talked to the bank about the fraud make sure they know u r using Samsung Pay. So it won't happen again. Was this a local walmart or out of town that could be it as well. Especially during holiday season.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Also I have BOA and I never get the pop up receipt when I use the debit card as credit but when. I use the BOA credit card I get the notification. But they still show up in my activity when viewing my transactions

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I just notice that chase cards give you a nice little check mark once the payment goes through. I don't know if other cards have this feature

Yo 20, I have noticed that with my BOA transactions but it only does this when ihave the sound on so not vibrate or silence. Which is weird u would think it would appear regardless what mode it's in.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just tried SPay at a location that didn't work. I tried it last week (without success) at this store and just tried it again today. I have had great success with SPay in most stores, but no dice with this one.

The store recently installed new terminals to support Apple Pay specifically (according to the cashier). I used S-Pay by holding my phone over the card swiping portion of the terminal and moving it up and down slowly. In hindsight, I'm wondering if I should have just held the phone over the NFC reception portion of the terminal. I recall reading that every terminal that supports Apple Pay should also support Android NFC payments. Does anyone know if that's actually true? Next trip, I'll try just hovering over the terminal's NFC area.

I don't know if the location will be helpful to very many people since it was a local market (unless you live in the RTP, NC area), but it was the Grand Asia Market.

First of all shout out to apex nc. But I think all nfc is for everyone nfc product I believe but I could be wrong, I seen at bestbuy their nfc pad has apple pay,android pay and samsung pay on it. Is it getting any type of reading at all when u try is as mst? Also is the reader on your side? Do they have to input the price before hand or select what type of payment. I have not had an experience where the MST did not register, it may have not worked in the end but it read it.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Works nowhere for me as they don't support ANY (7) of my cards.

What are your situations, by stating it doesn't work can't help us ya know, I mean is it even registering, have u tried nfc break it down for us. Oh wait u said none of your cards supported. Disregard this post

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
That's good that is working great for u as well as for others. I created this thread because there are people who can't seem to get it to work for some reason as well as instances in which the store system will not accept it as debit but as credit. Holding it incorrectly, I have 99.9% success rate. I have helped some people in here figure things out as well as others helping other people out. Also there may be bank related issues that pose problems for people. There are placed in which the system may work before and then not. This thread helps also with the confidence with using it in front of people and not being embedded if it didn't work but also the great reactions of cashiers when it does.

Thanks for your post look at other post in here and if you can add input to help others feel free. We are all in same boat.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I must say, it's been perfect with my chase card so far. Doesn't matter if it's debit or credit. May have helped that I removed all my cards from Android pay

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay has been going great JPeezy. It's just Chipotle being the pain in the rear when it comes to cards. Other than that, I can't complain about Samsung Pay. My opinion is that SPay is one of the best five features on this phone.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Just tell them "promise you it works just put it in as a (enter card type here)"

I told them that but they can't comprehend when I tell them that. I told the cashier "May you please press Mastercard and I will pay with my phone". She presses it but once I put my card over she's like "I need the physical card". I assured to her that it will work but she said "Physical card or I will refuse you".

samrov44

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I told them that but they can't comprehend when I tell them that. I told the cashier "May you please press Mastercard and I will pay with my phone". She presses it but once I put my card over she's like "I need the physical card". I assured to her that it will work but she said "Physical card or I will refuse you".

They shouldn't be doing that. Report that to Samsung pay and I'd also ask for the manager and explain to them that it's a form of legal tender.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
That's what I was thinking of. She's like "I need the physical card because we don't have the register that extends out to the customer". She was trying to say like the ones that you can swipe the card. I knew it was bs because I have used it at many merchants that press it for me and I hold it. I used it at a Smashburger and asked the person to do it and it works. Chipotle workers in my area aren't logical about mobile payments and there's no point persuading them anymore in my area.

averypa

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so NFC is working on my debit card and my credit card, but using MST only works on the credit card. It'll read my debit card, but it always declines it- I've tried running it as debit and credit with the same result. My bank has no suggestions, and neither does Samsung Pay. It is a joint account, so. I'm going to have the other owner try using SPay with their debit card and will report the results - I'm stumped so far. If anyone else has had a similar situation please let me know!

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
@romeobob2

Don't hold the phone near the NFC pad --try placing ("hovering," not swiping) the phone where the old fashioned slot for credit cards is on the side of the machine.
The signal is not that strong and won't hit the card strip reader if you hold it up by the Apple Pay receiver.

Also, while Apple Pay is NFC, I don't think it works for Samsung Pay or even Android Pay. I think (but am not sure) that Apple Pay is proprietary.
NFC payment isn't proprietary. Apple pay, Android pay, Samsung pay all use NFC. Samsung pay just has a 2nd tech, MST, that allows it to work at places without NFC reader

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so NFC is working on my debit card and my credit card, but using MST only works on the credit card. It'll read my debit card, but it always declines it- I've tried running it as debit and credit with the same result. My bank has no suggestions, and neither does Samsung Pay. It is a joint account, so. I'm going to have the other owner try using SPay with their debit card and will report the results - I'm stumped so far. If anyone else has had a similar situation please let me know!

Well I only have one card on my Samsung Pay so you could take my advice with a grain of salt. Go ahead with the idea you had and tell us what happens. If the problem is to persist, delete the card off your phone. Check if there is a Samsung Pay update if yours isn't up to date. Clear the cache off the app and then re-add the card. IF the problem continues after all of this, then I suggest calling the Samsung Pay number. I used to have the number but I forgot it. I hope you can get your debit card back up and running on the app.

hairball45

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I installed Samsung Pay the same day that support for Chase Bank was announced. I set it up and succeeded in using it exactly one time. The biggest drawback to me was the forced use of the fingerprint lock. It took three, four, five times to open the phone. It wasn't just to use Spray, but every time I opened the phone. All of that is and was a great deal more fiddling around than just pulling my card out of my wallet. Given the fact that I still have to carry a billfold for things like a driver's license and other identification, membership cards and the like, the wallet isn't going anywhere soon. Paying with my phone is just a novelty (no, was a novelty), so it's gone now.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
ya, i use the wallet case which holds 2 cards - Drivers license and Debit card as backup then save other cards through beep and go like health ids and such. The "wallet" will not die until digital ID's are put into law :) Also, my fingerprint scanner works instantly, on the first try 99% of the time. And I have trusted locations so I don't have to fingerprint all the time like home, and trusted bluetooth devices like car for the same reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae