Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sweet tomatoes. It didn't work.

It worked at sports authority.
It worked at burger king but I had to hand the phone to the cashier and she had to try repeatedly to get it to work.

Samething here with Sweet Tomatoes. I will try again next time I go. It worked at Bed bath and beyond and Joanns (hey don't judge me shopping with lol) had it work at a festival where the reader was wireless. I also saw an ATM that had a swipe reader but I didn't try it.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
People I just completely amazed myself as well as the staff at my daughter preschool in Vegas. They have this big fat old old CC reader that takes forever to process when swiping a card. I said can I use my phone they said it will not work bc it's soooo old. I placed my phone there and bam it worked. It actually read it a lot faster than any other terminals that I have encountered.

I am trying to find a pic of that terminal but can't I mean this thing looks ancient. Overall I am still so impressed with Samsung Pay. Does anyone know how many people are using it?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I love when I begin to place my phone near the card reader that have them say "no, we don't accept Samsung pay here"

adelmundo

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
That right there is priceless then their look on their faces with the response"it worked" ahh of course it's Samsung lol

Had that happen to me at Little Caesar's Pizza. After paying with Samsung Pay, the cashier stated that I was the first one ever at that location to use my phone to pay (no NFC, just Verifone mag stripe reader). She asked me if her phone could do that, which was an iPhone 6, and I told her that only Samsung phones had this new feature.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I love when I begin to place my phone near the card reader that have them say "no, we don't accept Samsung pay here"

I'm amazed if you get that... I usually get the 'we don't take NFC payments' from cocky baristas or the usual 'we don't accept Apple Pay' from generically-trained cashiers.

Either way, it always amazes people when they see it works (except those where I'm 'a regular', they've gotten used to it by now :p)

JohnnyK60

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
My chipped AMEX card worked at Bed Bath and Beyond; I didn't hear any beep or signal that the transaction was ok, but just as I was about to fish my physical card out of my wallet the sales slip printed. At first the clerk said, " We don't take that yet (Apple Pay/NFC)."

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I just used mine to check into a hotel and they were typical it won't work here. But when it did they jumped back and said wow. One agent said can I do that with my apple phone

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just tried at my first Best Buy. It worked but you need to hand your phone to the cashier and he asked to see id. I don't know if that's just with Amex

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Scene 1 today near Grand Cayon at Texco.

Cashier- Your total $6.78
Me - I'm going to pay with my phone is that ok?
Cashier - Ah no we are not setup (during her response I put my phone over the reader beep) it will not work, Hey Raymond can you come here? (She yells this in the store for another cashier.
Cashier-he wants to pay with his phone can we accept it?
Raymond- Ahh I never seen this b4.
Cashier- Yelling again Dan can you come up here(Store Manger on duty).
Dan - ahh what are u doing it won't accept.
Me -Now it won't accept bc it timed out. Is it ready again
Dan - yes (I imitate samsung again beep)
Dan - ahh debit or credit
Me - credit (Dan presses credit receipt comes out I leave smiling)

They were standing there with a look of What just happen with 8 people in line waiting.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Oh this forum is very active,

Tried at Chick Fil A and I stunned the manager. He called over the assistant manager and two cashiers and said "Look he can pay for stuff on his phone and his card is on his phone" The crowd retorted "But we don't support Apple Pay". I have to explain Samsung Pay before they take me as a hacker. One time I confused a cashier so much, he ran and said "We don't support phone payments right" PRICELESS.

Einsteins Bagels has a terminal where you give the merchant a card. It's not awkward putting the phone over the counter. The cashier said "That's the most innovative thing he has ever seen". He was doubtful that it would work. He gave me the "We don't have the updated registers for that". When the receipt spit out of the Micros system, he was satisfied. He knows I pay for my phone every time but the other customers in line are dumbfounded.

Starbucks uses an app to pay for their purchases when it comes to phone payments. I decided to pay with my card this particular visit. I didn't know where their card reader was so I asked them. She showed me it and I placed the phone over the reader. "I'm not sure it's gonna..." *receipt rolls out* "How on Earth did you do that without a card". I showed her my phone and she called all the baristas over to see what I just did. One of them knew and said "Oh that's samsung pay, he can use it almost anywhere". Someone has been doing their homework on mobile payments.

The one place I can't seem to get it to work is Chipotle. Has anyone had any success on it? I once got an error but now they deny me from even using my phone because they said "They manually enter the card's info" which is a lot of bull. If it has worked at Chipotle for you, how did you place the phone.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If they manually enter the card number I wonder if they mean the last 4 digits of the card, unless they someway add a tip to your purchase I dunno. Shoot next time let them know it's legal tender lol, or watch someone that's in front of u use their card if they don't input a lot of numbers then you r fine. Or just hit them with I have no other form of payment then see what they would do lol.

But great post and reactions, yea everyone automatically says Apple pay lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I try not to give the phone to the cashiers when their readers are on their side, and most of the time you can just reach out and place the phone near their sliders, but if you can't, then I just give it to them but keep an eye on them haha.

So far, other than when the cashier needs to input something or select something after the card has been 'swiped', I haven't had issues.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
would be nice if samsung pay would put the last four digits on the screen. Cannot see how it would make things less secure since it is on the receipt.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The 4 digit number that u provide to the cashier if requested is the digital one it is right there under your card. Do not provide the really 4 digit card number

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Ummm... it does. It shows both the last 4 digits of the physical card and the virtual card number as well.

okay, me iz blind. Have not used my samsung pay yet (cannot find a prepaid card )and I guess I really should have looked at what is shows for my credit. I just assumed because I have been reading posts in different forums where the user complained about pulling out their card to get the four digit number. Sorry about that.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
The last four digits of the physical card doesn't even need to be there. It only confuses the cashier who has to type it in

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Guys and gals so I want to take a survey real quick. How many of u guys r using Samsung Pay everyday? Do you think with the new commercial that they released will influence consumers to grab the phone?

Also was wordering I know the S2 has NFC I believe so why wouldn't that work for those phones to do a purchase? Like Apple pay?

Thank you all for continuing to keep this thread going. This is my first time posting a thread period on this site (forum)

jonesyvoor

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a weird experience today. First let me preface by saying I have Samsung Pay performance anxiety. I tried it for the first time yesterday at Acme (grocery store) in the comfort of a self checkout line. It worked great.

Tried it again at a vending machine at work today. Success.

Finally I was ready to give it a go at a store in front of a live audience. I went to Wawa and nervously placed my phone on the reader and thought I heard a beep. Great. However I didn't see any other signs of the transaction going through. I panicked and grabbed a card out of my wallet and swiped it several times and that wouldn't work either. I had to hand it to the cashier to swipe it on her end. I wonder if my phone broke it?? Haha.

Posted via the Android Central App