10-25-2017 05:34 PM
1,203 ... 4546474849
tools
    I will try that, thank you!
    06-29-2016 10:28 AM
    I've had hit or miss using (magnetic) Samsung G7. If it fails, the card reader will recognize "something" from the phone, but the cashier will tell me there's an error message of some sort.

Today I had a failure but the cashier gave me the receipt showing the error:

Visa declined
    Card Num: XXXXXXXXXXXX7865
    [note: this is the *correct* token-ized as-seen-in Samsung Pay number for the card with real card number XXXXXXXXXXXX1234]
    Response: UNRECOGNIZED TRACKDATA FORMAT

So the the G7 & Samsung Pay & card reader were communicating (even shows expected token-ized card number) but "something" didn't go thru. I ended up using the same Visa card swiped thru the card reader and that worked fine.
    07-03-2016 08:14 PM
    it might have to do with the fact that it's an amex lol. And that your card is actually a chip card so the reader is giving an error.
    07-06-2016 02:22 AM
    Samsung Pay does not work consistently on my S6, and oddly enough, it worked better when I first started using it than it does now. For example, Home Depot and PetCo Unleashed used to accept it, now they reject it. The error I see most frequently is 'Card Read Error', but other times it will ask for a PIN, even though the card that is set up is a credit card, not a debit card. On the other hand, when it does work, it seems to be working faster than it did originally, but that could just be my imagination. I called SPay support once, and they took my info on the error situations, but didn't really help me. I mentioned to the rep that it seemed that my problems started after specific retailers started accepting the chip cards, but he was confident that would not affect SPay at all. I'm not so sure. Bottom line is I estimate that SPay works about 75% of the time for me. What about you guys? What % of the time does it work for you, and what device are you using? Or do you think the device factors into it at all?
    If the terminal has a slot for chip card reading, then if your card is a chip card then the track data will transmit that as well. And the reader will give you an error to please insert card. It's all in the card's track data. This error can also happen with certain banks. Ex. Citi bank cards cannot be swiped in Canada or they give a chip error. If you're lucky you can swipe it but most of time even if the card isn't a chip card, the reader will still think it's chip. So I imagine the same case is down there as well. A good reason why the banks are agreeing to samsung pay is they are sick of the merchants dragging their behind on updating their terminals to read chip cards. So Samsung pay to the rescue.

So, how does one actually scan a loyalty card? I couldn't with Which Wich sub shop or Barnes and Noble because the scanner was on the cashier's side. I don't want to be handing over my phone just to use the scanner.
    You load up the loyalty card in question and the cashier will shoot their scanner at your barcode and your card will be scanned. You do need to adjust the brightness to bright so the hand scanner can pick up the barcode. Many retailers are pushing app versions of their loyalty card in an effort to improve penetration rate so just show them the barcode and the cashier will know what to do.

*shakes head* Silly yanks.

I have no luck at Walmart. I've tried my Amex and Visa cards. In both cases...card denied...from Walmart. I did talk to the store manager who said she'd look into it.

Their IT guy has been quoted in trade papers about sticking it to Visa and he's also pushing Walmart Pay. The man sure doesn't understand his market. I think it will take a lot of complaints before they change. Maybe Samsung can exert some pressure.
    Walmart Canada did dump Visa. Hence the IT guy's comment. Could be your location decided to dump visa. Welp Walmart dumps visa. And visa takes on costco as it's us partner and the overwaitea food group as a partner in Canada.
    07-06-2016 02:38 AM
    I don't have a Samsung but would be interested, has anyone tried it in China?
    07-08-2016 12:27 AM
    Got denied at McDonald's. They even had the nfc terminals but kept clearing it out and telling me their not setup to accept phones. Some people just don't learn anything new. So I gave up at that McDonald's.
    07-11-2016 11:35 AM
    I don't have a Samsung but would be interested, has anyone tried it in China?
    https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...hina-union-pay

Sorry I hate saying this but: Google is your friend in this case.

Looks like SP has been available in China since March.
    07-11-2016 11:36 AM
    Got denied at McDonald's. They even had the nfc terminals but kept clearing it out and telling me their not setup to accept phones. Some people just don't learn anything new. So I gave up at that McDonald's.
    That's like the old lady who keeps cash under the mattress because she doesn't trust banks. You can't win em all.
    07-11-2016 11:38 AM
    Got denied at Payless Shoes this afternoon. The terminal gave error messages, so I had to switch to a physical card swipe.
    07-22-2016 05:55 PM
    Got denied at Payless Shoes this afternoon. The terminal gave error messages, so I had to switch to a physical card swipe.
    Works great at shoe show!
    07-23-2016 05:53 AM
    I had this happen today at Target, first try, no go, error message, tried second time and it went through. If you can, hit the "tap again" button, worked for me. Prior to this I've used SP at Target with out a problem, always worked on first try.
    07-23-2016 11:48 PM
    Didn't work at home depot. It beeps, but then says card read error
    07-24-2016 05:24 PM
    Didn't work at home depot. It beeps, but then says card read error
    Took two tries at the self checkout yesterday for me. But usually goes straight through.
    07-24-2016 08:20 PM
    Barnes & Noble has turned off all phone payment ability at my local store.
    08-12-2016 10:12 AM
    I haven't been able to use it in Kroger stores located in Englewood, Ohio. Haven't had too much of a problem any where else, but phone is newer, so not much use either. Do you suggest making sure the NFC is on? I have never turned it on for any transaction. Maybe that would fix my Kroger experience?
    09-07-2016 10:08 PM
    I've never had NFC turned on and my S7E works fine at Fry's Foods (a Kroger chain) using Samsung Pay.
    09-08-2016 09:31 AM
    My Kroger shows up in Android Pay as accepting Android Pay but they don't. The pin pad supports it. With that said Samsung Pay still works.
    09-08-2016 11:11 AM
    Didn't work for me at target and a local grocery store (Woodmans). I don't think I want to keep trying with this Samsung pay. You know what works all the time? My card.
    09-19-2016 12:31 PM
    Just tried mine again at McDonald's. Kept giving me a not approved message on their card reader. Pulled out the actual card and it worked fine.
    09-20-2016 04:21 PM
    Have you digitally signed the card? Some people skip this step and then wonder why it doesn't work.
    09-21-2016 09:07 AM
    Yep. It;s signed. New update just came out btw.
    Kirk Maluo likes this.
    09-21-2016 09:40 AM
    Samsung Pay is MST which is more like credit card swipe, and NOT "phone pay" such as android pay or apple pay.
    If Samsumg Pay does not work, is it because the cashier switched the terminal to phone pay instead of leaving it in CC swipe mode?
    10-23-2016 11:52 AM
    Samsung Pay is MST which is more like credit card swipe, and NOT "phone pay" such as android pay or apple pay.
    If Samsumg Pay does not work, is it because the cashier switched the terminal to phone pay instead of leaving it in CC swipe mode?
    Mine has been so inconsistent I stopped using it after getting all the promotions used up. Places it always worked would not work anymore. More often than not, I'd get a card read error, and then at the same transaction my wife's s7 would work.
    10-23-2016 12:21 PM
    Has the chip issue been a problem for anyone or is it no longer an issue? I'm a new Samsung Pay user and I've read the issue with MST failing on chipped cards since some stores require the chip if the card has one. All my cards (and I'm sure all cards by now) have chips so this is a serious issue with Samsung Pay working where Apple Pay doesn't work...
    10-23-2016 03:08 PM
    Still will not work at REI stores! Tried again at their Woodland Hills, CA store, no go.
    10-27-2016 02:55 PM
1,203 ... 4546474849