Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I've been using SP for the last few months now, and I don't make a big deal about it. I don't announce, "I'm going to use my phone to pay", but rather I just casually hold my phone over the credit card reader and make the tranaction. I use SP for the convenience and more secure digital pay system rather than the Wow factor.

You misinterpreted my statement. I'm not saying "I'm paying with a cell phone. Now let your managers run to me.". Some associates aren't tech savvy and don't know what people that have these powerful phones are doing. I've had people ask me "What are you doing" as if I'm trying to be some con artist. It makes them more comfortable because they are adjusted to receiving a card, not a 700 dollar phone.

Last edited:

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
You misinterpreted my statement. I'm not saying "I'm paying with a cell phone. Now let your managers run to me.". Some associates aren't tech savvy and don't know what people that have these powerful phones are doing. I've had people ask me "What are you doing" as if I'm trying to be some con artist. It makes them more comfortable because they are adjusted to receiving a card, not a 700 dollar phone.

What I do only if the reader is on their side I usually say ok I'm paying credit with my phone.. and I ask them go ahead and do what the need if i was paying with a card. The only response I get is the typical our system doesn't work like that I have yet to be denied. Even with the nontech savy they still allow me try it without hesitation they wanna prove me wrong. When it comes to readers on customer side I just go ahead and use it half the time the cashier doesn't realize what happen or how I paid, I just say I don't need the receipt and get to steppin. Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I read this whole forum today and just wanted to know everyone's top tips and tricks for using samsung Pay. Also if there's any videos you'd recommend watching about samsung pay let me know. Thanks.

MikeYuse0406

Nov 23, 2013
plus.google.com
Hey guys, I read this whole forum today and just wanted to know everyone's top tips and tricks for using samsung Pay. Also if there's any videos you'd recommend watching about samsung pay let me know. Thanks.
1st. Don't get upset when a cashier tries to tell you that they don't take "Apple Pay" .

2nd. I personally place the top of the phone to the middle of the magnetic swipe area.

3rd. If it isn't reading your phone, or it gives you an error, simply move the device upwards or downwards a bit until you find that "sweet spot".

4th. When the cashier is scanning the last item, I already have my SPay ready to go.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
What I do only if the reader is on their side I usually say ok I'm paying credit with my phone.. and I ask them go ahead and do what the need if i was paying with a card. The only response I get is the typical our system doesn't work like that I have yet to be denied. Even with the nontech savy they still allow me try it without hesitation they wanna prove me wrong. When it comes to readers on customer side I just go ahead and use it half the time the cashier doesn't realize what happen or how I paid, I just say I don't need the receipt and get to steppin. Lol

See you understand what I meant.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What he stayed is probably the best way to do it if also sometimes is turn my phone sideways so it on side or reader and it works.

Also places like IHOP where readers r in the machine you have to find that sweet spot IHOP sweet spot is far left or the reader the cashiers left..

Tips for people who get declined for debit at places like 711. Hit cancel run it as credit.

If you don't get a read in about 2-3secs move phone down or up a little answer hold it there the process is long enough for u to do it without starting ove

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
any reader that can read "Chips" can use NFC at least.

Just to clarify: I work for a retailer and while our pinpads support cards with a chip they do not support NFC. That's an add-on piece of hardware that wasn't available when we purchased the pinpads.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been using SP for the last few months now, and I don't make a big deal about it. I don't announce, "I'm going to use my phone to pay", but rather I just casually hold my phone over the credit card reader and make the tranaction. I use SP for the convenience and more secure digital pay system rather than the Wow factor.

That's my experience too. I'd say that about 90% of the time no one notices what I'm doing. I don't mind, I don't want the attention I just want it to work.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Same experience, lately the cashiers dont even notice.

tcvg8619

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The only place I've had issues was at H&M. It always says card read error, then I end up having to use the physical card. The cashier was patient with me and allowed me to try three times, but it failed. Not sure what's going on, but I can't complain, when it works it really works.

In positive news, SP has worked at Walmart, Target, Kroger, vending machines, my barbershop (in which he flipped out), Subway, and Chick-fil-A.

Y2Dre

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I just successfully used Samsung Pay at Panera on one of their new tablet like pay stations. When I whipped out my phone to pay, she abruptly told me that it wasn't going to work because this machine was new. I tried a couple of times and each time the screen said something like "Unable to read card." Right before I punked out and grabbed my card, I told her that I wanted to try one last time. This time, I started at the bottom of the swipe slot and slowly worked my way up. It kept denying my payment until I hit the top of the slot. That was the sweet spot! At the same time, we both yelled "It worked!"

Next time I'll know that for this machine, the sweet spot is on top. Hope this helps other people who run up on this at Panera.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Had my first fail with it yesterday. T.J. Maxx's card reader kept saying "Card error." It was clearly seeing the device, but something was screwed up.

It was my only misfire since it became available back in October, so I can't complain too much.

MikeYuse0406

Nov 23, 2013
plus.google.com
Had my first fail with it yesterday. T.J. Maxx's card reader kept saying "Card error." It was clearly seeing the device, but something was screwed up.

It was my only misfire since it became available back in October, so I can't complain too much.
I had a similar issue at Family Dollar. The card reader kept saying card error, but the cashier's screen said invalid card. I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

It has worked everywhere else without problems.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So after been able to use it as debit at the grocery store call Smith's which is an affiliate of Kroger all of a sudden I was getting a not authorized transaction every time I use it as a debit now all of a sudden I'm able to use it as a debit funny thing

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue at Family Dollar. The card reader kept saying card error, but the cashier's screen said invalid card. I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

It has worked everywhere else without problems.

I had it work at family Dollar without a problem with the error you got i would suggest moving it In a different part of the reader. I had that happen at a reader at different location and that's all I did. This all that problem is its just the placement. Think about if u swiped your card and your strip was bad you'll probably get error unable to read card to its similar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7