Samsung Pay on Verizon

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I had look at that one yesterday and almost went for it. (Just noticed that the guy who uploaded it, Artem Russakovskii, is a reputable blogger and Android commentator, so I'm sure it's OK.)

With my luck, though, installing it would probably trigger some previously unknown Verizon setting that bars me from future updates or something.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I just talked with a Verizon Chat rep, they will be providing another OTA update on 10/20 at 12 pm Eastern Time that will allow it to work. This is separate and different from the one we just received on 10/16. Oh Verizon how crappy you have become on this stuff. LOL

Wonder if this is only for the S6/S6 Edge. Am curious to know when they intend on releasing it for the BIG BOYS, Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus???

Ryan Tomkins1

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Wonder if this is only for the S6/S6 Edge. Am curious to know when they intend on releasing it for the BIG BOYS, Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus???

Not sure they didn't say anything just a general statement. :) Haha big boys. I'd love to get the Note 5 but still under device payment plan with my S6. May wait thought to see what they will release next year with the S7 or Note 6 maybe :)

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure they didn't say anything just a general statement. :) Haha big boys. I'd love to get the Note 5 but still under device payment plan with my S6. May wait thought to see what they will release next year with the S7 or Note 6 maybe :)

Yeah, I've been a Note Fan for many editions now. I may search the Play Store and see if I can find/download the App and see what happens from there. Sideloaded the apk from another site (Youtube) just to see if it would take but didn't want to add any financial info because I didn't feel it was legit. It's the waiting game for me and if all holds true, then tomorrow (10/20) it is. Well hopefully for all Galaxy devices.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I originally sideloaded the app a week or two ago and it worked fine. I still wasn't able to add a card because none of my banks are supported (Chase, USAA, Navy Fed), but the app itself was working fine.

Then a day later, my friend at Samsung told me about LoopPay being hacked back in the day and told me to wipe the sideloaded app. Based on that, I think I'll wait to get the app through official channels since it'll have all my financial info on it.

Now that I think about it, the Chase credit card I (unsuccessfully) tried to add to SP was compromised this past weekend...

Ryan Tomkins1

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Ya any other app I would probably go ahead with the workarounds online. With it being my bank and financial info I just don't want to take a chance. I still keep checking to see if it installs and goes thru in hopes it happens before tomorrow but if not, I'll wait the extra day to ensure it's all sound.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Still no 16th update for me. Last update was September 28.

I read that it's suppose to be on the 20th. Not sure if this is for the Note 5 and S6+ but from what I've been reading, the S6/S6 Edge have already gotten their updates. And, the Samsung Pay app is suppose to be hitting the Play Store to download if the OTA hasn't hit your device as of yet. Here's to hoping on tomorrow. Then, come on more Banks to get in the S-Pay game. I hear it's AWESOME to use at places that think only crApple Pay and Android Pay are the only solutions and you shock them!! I can't wait.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I read that it's suppose to be on the 20th. Not sure if this is for the Note 5 and S6+ but from what I've been reading, the S6/S6 Edge have already gotten their updates. And, the Samsung Pay app is suppose to be hitting the Play Store to download if the OTA hasn't hit your device as of yet. Here's to hoping on tomorrow. Then, come on more Banks to get in the S-Pay game. I hear it's AWESOME to use at places that think only crApple Pay and Android Pay are the only solutions and you shock them!! I can't wait.

You might want to read the thread before posting. Samsung Pay hit the Google Play store on Saturday. The Verizon OTA update that came Friday specifically explained that it was designed to enable Samsung Pay (which it didn't do). Verizon is supposed to begin pushing another update tomorrow at noon.

EvilHomer3k

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 5. Was the 16th update for S6/Edge only or S6, S6E, N5, S6E+? I know there's one coming out tomorrow but saw a lot of people who'd gotten an update earlier this week. Honestly, I'm just happy to be getting it.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
You might want to read the thread before posting. Samsung Pay hit the Google Play store on Saturday. The Verizon OTA update that came Friday specifically explained that it was designed to enable Samsung Pay (which it didn't do). Verizon is supposed to begin pushing another update tomorrow at noon.

"Verizon is supposed to begin pushing another update tomorrow at noon."??? Is that not tomorrow Oct 20th?? I guess thanks...... but whatever. Good catch and a hand clap. And this is a forum to inform is it not??? And the Verizon update is what I was referring to but thanks again for the check. And on top of the S-Pay app hitting the Play Store, it has since been removed. Don't know if it's made it back but let me check and recheck the Play Store before I make a "false" claim that it's not there.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 5. Was the 16th update for S6/Edge only or S6, S6E, N5, S6E+? I know there's one coming out tomorrow but saw a lot of people who'd gotten an update earlier this week. Honestly, I'm just happy to be getting it.

Ask Kalnel, he's the expert on what and when things are suppose to surface.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ask Kalnel, he's the expert on what and when things are suppose to surface.

Let me put this nicely: Shove off.

If you had read the thread -- or any of the news reports from reputable sources -- you would known that the Samsung Pay app was not being pushed out OTA and that it already arrived in the Google Play store. As far as the Samsung OTA, you were quoting a guy who was referring to last week's update, about which you said you heard it was coming on the 20th. The update being discussed for tomorrow is a different push.

And, yes, forums are a place to spread information. Not misinformation.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Let me put this nicely: Shove off.

If you had read the thread -- or any of the news reports from reputable sources -- you would known that the Samsung Pay app was not being pushed out OTA and that it already arrived in the Google Play store. As far as the Samsung OTA, you were quoting a guy who was referring to last week's update, about which you said you heard it was coming on the 20th. The update being discussed for tomorrow is a different push.

And, yes, forums are a place to spread information. Not misinformation.

Well now that you've been more direct, I can see where my info might have been incorrect or misleading. No shoving off though, and thanks for being gentle. All I know is that the app is no longer showing up in the Play Store. That I am certain of. So, what is the push for tomorrow?

Point taken Sir.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Well now that you've been more direct, I can see where my info might have been incorrect or misleading. No shoving off though, and thanks for being gentle. All I know is that the app is no longer showing up in the Play Store. That I am certain of. So, what is the push for tomorrow?

Point taken Sir.

Cool. Just eager here to get the app (and get the right info until it arrives. Glad you're not shoving off.

But, let me disagree with you on something else. (LOL.) The Samsung Pay app is still showing up in Google Play store for me. Here's the link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.samsung.android.spay&token=0GfOnqK-

Totally agree with you on how great it will be to have this app, though!

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Cool. Just eager here to get the app (and get the right info until it arrives. Glad you're not shoving off.

But, let me disagree with you on something else. (LOL.) The Samsung Pay app is still showing up in Google Play store for me. Here's the link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.samsung.android.spay&token=VmeVMC6b

Totally agree with you on how great it will be to have this app, though!

No harm, no foul my man. And I'll work on my bad reporting as well :)D). I read on another site (won't mention it on here cause Android Central's the best. Lol) that if you hadn't already had it loaded on a device then it wouldn't show up. Just passing along what I ran in to. I have clicked the link you provided and it comes back "Not Found". This has happened a few times clicking different user's links and also searching on my own, be it from my device or from the PC (and not knowing if I needed to be signed in or not).

I too am eager and hoping tomorrow brings this Note 5 user some more Joy!!

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Since jboogie and I have been kicking it around this morning, maybe time for a recap? Here's a summary of what I've heard/read, but by no means is it definitive. Please add/correct/edit:

October 16: Update from Verizon: G920VVRU4BOG9. Verizon reported that this was designed to patch vulnerabilities and prep the device for Samsung Pay app. (You may have a different update version if you have a different phone. You can find the right update for your phone on this Verizon web page.)

October 17: Samsung posted the Samsung Pay app in the Google Play store. (Apparently, it is not live in the store for everyone yet.) Despite the update from Verizon, it is not working on most phones. (Some people with Notes seem to be using it, but the S6 series people haven't had much luck.) It's also a little odd that the app is very hard to find, buried deep in a long list of unrelated apps. It does not pop to the top via search.

October 18: Several people reported that Verizon and Samsung CSRs are saying that a second Verizon update will be pushed starting October 20 at noon. This is supposed to enable the update that didn't enable Samsung Pay the first time.

Anyone else have other/more info?

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
No harm, no foul my man. And I'll work on my bad reporting as well :)D). I read on another site (won't mention it on here cause Android Central's the best. Lol) that if you hadn't already had it loaded on a device then it wouldn't show up. Just passing along what I ran in to. I have clicked the link you provided and it comes back "Not Found". This has happened a few times clicking different user's links and also searching on my own, be it from my device or from the PC (and not knowing if I needed to be signed in or not).

I too am eager and hoping tomorrow brings this Note 5 user some more Joy!!

From the list on the Verizon update page, it looks like the Note 5 hasn't had any OTA update yet. I wonder if you need to have that update before you can see the app in the store? (No idea how that would work, just speculating.)

You Note 5 users might want to keep an eye on this Verizon update page to see when a push becomes available: Advanced Devices Software Updates | Verizon Wireless

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Since jboogie and I have been kicking it around this morning, maybe time for a recap? Here's a summary of what I've heard/read, but by no means is it definitive. Please add/correct/edit:

October 16: Update from Verizon: G920VVRU4BOG9. Verizon reported that this was designed to patch vulnerabilities and prep the device for Samsung Pay app. (You may have a different update version if you have a different phone. You can find the right update for your phone on this Verizon web page.)

October 17: Samsung posted the Samsung Pay app in the Google Play store. (Apparently, it is not live in the store for everyone yet.) Despite the update from Verizon, it is not working on most phones. (Some people with Notes seem to be using it, but the S6 series people haven't had much luck.) It's also a little odd that the app is very hard to find, buried deep in a long list of unrelated apps. It does not pop to the top via search.

October 18: Several people reported that Verizon and Samsung CSRs are saying that a second Verizon update will be pushed starting October 20 at noon. This is supposed to enable the update that didn't enable Samsung Pay the first time. Let me visit the Vzw page and begin there before I go any further.

Anyone else have other/more info?

I guess I didn't get the 1st push from Vzw because my build #'s last 4 digits are different from those that you've provided (A0GJ). That push could've been for the S6/S6 Edge (not sure about the S6+ variant). I know that sometimes these updates go out in batches so maybe I won't get that one and receive one tomorrow. I'll check the link you provided to Vzw as well.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess I didn't get the 1st push from Vzw because my build #'s last 4 digits are different from those that you've provided (A0GJ). I know that sometimes these updates go out in batches so maybe I won't get that one and receive one tomorrow.

Boy, I don't know what's going on, but something is really messed up at Verizon.

I was just looking at Verizon's update pages, and they're all screwed up. The main page says the S6 and the Note 5 had their last updates on 9/25/2015, which is incorrect (at least as far as the S6). If you click on the S6's update page, though, it shows the info for the 10/16/2015 update. (The Note 5's page doesn't seem to have a 10/16/2015 update.)

Strange that Verizon doesn't have that right.

Meanwhile, I just tried clicking on the links I embedded above, and they all keep taking me to the Cellphone sales page, rather than the updates page. They are correct in the link, but for some reason clicking is causing a redirect.

If you're getting redirected, I'll write out the Verizon links so you can enter them manually. Replace the [dots] with .

Main software update page:
www[dot]verizonwireless[dot]com/support/software-updates/

S6 update page:
www[dot]verizonless[dot]com/support/samsung-galaxy-s6-update/

Note 5 update page:
www[dot]verizonwireless[dot]com/support/samsung-galaxy-note5-update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol