Will I have to enter my PIN# whenever I use my Bank of American debit card on Samsung Pay?

Js VZW GN

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are not using the fingerprint authorization for Samsung Pay, you have the option of using a 4 digit pin. Not your BOA pin #, but the optional pin authorization within the Samsung Pay app.

PaperMap

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
If you are not using the fingerprint authorization for Samsung Pay, you have the option of using a 4 digit pin. Not your BOA pin #, but the optional pin authorization within the Samsung Pay app.

That's why I'm confused. I always use fingerprint, but almost all credit card swipers ask me to enter my BoA pin#. After I enter my BoA debit card PIN# on the credit card machine, the transaction get approved almost immediately. (especially on older credit card swipers that don't have NFC capability, like at the local grocery self-check-out)

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, its just like swiping your card. The card reader doesn't know you used SP. It thinks you swiped a card. If you need PIN + Cash back? + Amount ok? on a real card, you'll need all that on SP.

PaperMap

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Yes, its just like swiping your card. The card reader doesn't know you used SP. It thinks you swiped a card. If you need PIN + Cash back? + Amount ok? on a real card, you'll need all that on SP.

I'm sorry, but I probably didn't make it clear. I've tried this after several different stores. I only have one BoA debit card on my phone.

If I use Samsung Pay to pay using MST(the machines doesn't have touch to pay), it ALWAYS asks me to enter my PIN#. At a couple of store including Walmart, after I enter the PIN#, I'm asked to sign my name as well. Then the receipt gets printed out.

If I take the actual BoA debit card and swipe normally, the transaction is approved and the receipt gets printed out.(half the time the machine doesn't even ask me to sign)

That's why I'm confused.

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I probably didn't make it clear. I've tried this after several different stores. I only have one BoA debit card on my phone.

If I use Samsung Pay to pay using MST(the machines doesn't have touch to pay), it ALWAYS asks me to enter my PIN#. At a couple of store including Walmart, after I enter the PIN#, I'm asked to sign my name as well. Then the receipt gets printed out.

If I take the actual BoA debit card and swipe normally, the transaction is approved and the receipt gets printed out.(half the time the machine doesn't even ask me to sign)

That's why I'm confused.

This is odd. I'm also using BofA debit on SPay. I get asked for PIN when it runs it as debit but I usually just hit credit and don't have to do anything.

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is because Samsung Pay primarily sees the card as a Debit Card and the stores where you are using it require a PIN # to complete a debit card transaction. When you swipe the debit card if it has a VISA logo for example you can choose to have it seen by the card reader as a credit card which doesn't require a PIN # by the store reader. At least this is what my local branch manager (US Bank) explained to me when I asked the same question.
If, like Mr_Bugman the reader gives you the choice to choose credit then you shouldn't have to enter the PIN #.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol