Gear S2 Classic and Samsung Pay -- HUGE Disappointment.

rickl43065

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
A few quick comments questions:

In read that the NFC (for touch pay) will ONLY be available if you have a newer model Samsung Phone. It must be one of the following Note 6 Edge, Note 6 Edge+, Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 AND must be with one of the major US cellular carriers AND must the credit card must be issued from certain banks, search for samsung-pay, I can't post links yet.

C'mon Samsung fix this or Dont Advertise that our Gear S2 works with Samsung Pay without the proper disclaimers...

As an alternate, can the NFC capability of the Gear S2 watch be used with Android Pay? However if possible, this would require PASSWORD access to to unlock your phone be on.. not the best solution.

Like to find a way to Not have to enter a password to unlock screen while wearing the watch, USE the NFC of the watch and PAY with Android Wallet. thus making it work with a wide variety of Android enabled phones (not just Samsung's)

Perhaps I am missing something.

Other than this I am really liking my watch, Have had it a week now and it works well, including S-Voice, S-Health, etc. I bought the Classic and use a classic watch face: Avital.

Rick43065

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you man, it was advertised 6 months ago to work with s6 with an update when it launches. I have an s6 but no Samsung pay because
1. Not on a "Major" carrier
2. Not with a " supported" Bank
3. Not updated to 5.1.1 (because my carrier doesn't want to update and Samsung says it won't update it has to go through the carrier)

My take away is that I should have saved alot of money and bought an s5.

I'm not switching carriers or opening up new bank accounts to use Samsung Pay. I would like to try out the cool feature but it's not worth all of that.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has always included the caveats of acceptable banks and carriers in all of their advertising I have ever seen. Samsung has always had an open invitation to both the major US carriers and all US banks to participate. It isn't Samsung's fault if a bank or carrier doesn't want to join in. 14 additional banks and credit unions have been added that will become effective by year end. So if someone doesn't want to wait for their carrier and/or their bank then that person have chosen to not use Samsung Pay at this time. If one really want to be frustrated be an Evil Red carrier customer and not have it for month after it became active in the US and then lose it again 2 weeks later while every other carrier customer continues to enjoy Samsung Pay.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Back when I got my phone in the summer. The Korean beta hadn't started yet. And all the advertisements about Samsung at the time had no mention of certain banks and certain carriers. If you go to Samsung support site my phone isn't even listed. Upon looking at how many different models Samsung has it blew my mind. I broke my iPhone then and decided to purchase this phone. Don't get me wrong it's a great phone but it stings to spend so much for a phone just to be told "sorry but even though you have the correct hardware your phone will not have one of the features it was purchased for." at least with apple you got every update that was offered on the day it came out. Maybe I'm just used to that system and just realizing how android phones are handled.