I was just looking my credit card statements, and I realized how much I'm using Samsung Pay. Since I activated my first card on October 19, I've had 61 in-person transactions. Of those, 49 have been through Samsung Pay. That means I'm using Samsung Pay 80% of the time.

The only times I haven't been able to use it:
    -- gas stations 3x
    -- parking pay stations 2x
    -- restaurants 4x
    -- cash registers/cashiers behind barriers (like glass) 1x
    -- card readers mounted on cash registers 2x

Interesting to compare that with Android Pay. From September 20 to October 18, I made 77 in-person transactions, of which only five were through Android Pay. (And I tried -- most of the stores I visit just don't take NFC yet.) That's just 6%.
    11-07-2015 08:31 PM
    Good thread - I'm interested in seeing how often others are using Android/Samsung Pay.
    Kalnel likes this.
    11-07-2015 08:55 PM
    Thinking about it made me wonder what my personal "tipping point" is for an app like Samsung Pay being a useful tool, as opposed to a novelty. If I can use something 80% of the time, it's reliable enough to be a "go-to," even though it doesn't replace credit cards completely.

I've used Android Pay (and before that Google Wallet) for years, but I couldn't use it often enough for it to become a real tool.

I'm rooting for it (and even Apple Pay), though. The more people adopt these apps, the more options we'll all have.
    11-07-2015 09:12 PM
    Personally, I need Chase to be added before I start using Samsung Pay full time. My AMEX card has worked about 80 to 85 percent of the time I've used it. But, I only use that card every now and then. Looking forward to using SP more...I still appreciate the "Wow, that's cool" looks I get whenever I use SP.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Kalnel likes this.
    11-08-2015 08:01 AM
    Looks like 68% of my card purchases. My number would be much higher except that the cafeteria where I work is not being cooperative on letting me use SPay. After that gets cleared up it will be much higher.

Kalnel and Reesebaby like this.
    11-08-2015 09:01 AM
    I'm looking at 8 out of ten purchases using Samsung Pay. Use it everywhere possible. Tied to my American Express Blue card. Every Monday, I pay Off the balance from the weekend.
    Kalnel likes this.
    11-08-2015 09:46 AM
    Your cafeteria cannot legally deny samsung pay. You should report it.
    11-08-2015 09:49 AM
    I'm trying to deal with them politely since I do work there. It's a third party company that is contracted so they're also being polite.

In short the manager says his merchant account agreement says the card must be present. He's contacted them for clarification as I attempted to explain it's still processed as a "card present" transaction and it's not the same as say an online or call in purchase.

The biggest issues I've had there and a few other places is they simply don't know how it works.

11-08-2015 10:00 AM
    Do you have a reference for that? Credit cards aren't legal tender, so merchants have the right to refuse them for any reason. It happens all the time -- no charges under X dollars, machines are down, card not signed, no ID, and so on. There's no legal requirement that they ever have to accept any card.

Why wouldn't they have the same right to refuse a charge with Samsung Pay (or Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc.) ?

(Not picking a fight on this -- I'm genuinely interested if there's a distinction about mobile payments.)
    11-08-2015 10:00 AM
    Do you have a reference for that? Credit cards aren't legal tender, so merchants have the right to refuse them for any reason. It happens all the time -- no charges under X dollars, machines are down, card not signed, no ID, and so on. There's no legal requirement that they ever have to accept any card.

Why wouldn't they have the same right to refuse a charge with Samsung Pay (or Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc.) ?

(Not picking a fight on this -- I'm genuinely interested if there's a distinction about mobile payments.)
    I agree cards are not "legal tender" officially under law. If anything I would think the violation would be more with Visa/MC if they have an agreement and then refused it. Haven't really looked into it.

11-08-2015 10:03 AM
    Personally, I need Chase to be added before I start using Samsung Pay full time. My AMEX card has worked about 80 to 85 percent of the time I've used it. But, I only use that card every now and then. Looking forward to using SP more...I still appreciate the "Wow, that's cool" looks I get whenever I use SP.
    I'm hoping that Wells Fargo will get on board fast. I have Amex and some Citi cards, so I've been using them, but my finances would be easier if I could go back to using my WF cards.

That "what did you just do?" look doesn't get old. Sometimes I feel disappointed when the merchant doesn't notice that I used Samsung Pay. :-)
    11-08-2015 10:03 AM
    I agree cards are not "legal tender" officially under law. If anything I would think the violation would be more with Visa/MC if they have an agreement and then refused it. Haven't really looked into it.
    That could be -- who knows what the terms are? But,even Apple Pay or Android Pay who are "official partners" don't always take those apps -- their readers don't work, their staff isn't trained, it's raining, whatever... -- so I can't imagine a merchant who isn't an "official partner" could be compelled to allow it.

(Are there any official merchant partners for Samsung Pay? Now that I think of it, I've never seen any.)

But, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. If the card companies allow it, maybe their policies require merchants to follow suit or something.
    11-08-2015 10:10 AM
    I'm trying to deal with them politely since I do work there. It's a third party company that is contracted so they're also being polite.

In short the manager says his merchant account agreement says the card must be present. He's contacted them for clarification as I attempted to explain it's still processed as a "card present" transaction and it's not the same as say an online or call in purchase.

The biggest issues I've had there and a few other places is they simply don't know how it works.

If I am not mistaken technically your card is present its just in virtual form.Plus your number the last four matches what's k receipt and it's "legalitarian for of payment". I know u r correct in they r not up to date on this but if it works they accept it.
    11-11-2015 08:51 AM
    To be honest I use Samsung pay 99.9% of the time so basically 9.9 out of 10. The reason it's not 100% is due to gas pumps, or at restaurant where waiter or waitress takes your card. That's the only time I don't use it.when I look at my statement all I see is mobile mobile mobile lol. I go without my CC on me unless I know I'm going to ATM or gas station or restaurant.
    Kalnel likes this.
    11-11-2015 08:55 AM
    That's great. It's amazing how samsung got hold of LoopPay and gave it such a big platform.
    Kalnel likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:29 AM
    It really is great. I've read several reports in the past week suggesting that Samsung might consider licensing the technology to other manufacturers. I hope they do, because this has the potential to get people moving toward true "mobile wallets" in a way that Android Pay and Apple Pay can't until all terminals accept NFC. Having the security of tokenization on every transaction is a factor they need to play up, too.
    11-11-2015 10:41 AM
    So far 100% of my transactions have went through using Samsung Pay.
    2x GNC
    3x Dunkin' Donuts
    1x Rite Aid
    1X Key Foods
    1X McDonalds (to get a nasty *** coffee because I don't have any Pre-Workout!!)
    1X Local Bodega! I actually had to ask the person behind the register to place my phone near the magnetic strip. It took 2 tries ( it timed out and he had to hit the refresh button) but it went through.

So i'm batting 1000 as of now!!
    Abhinav Kochhar and Kalnel like this.
    11-26-2015 06:28 AM
    100% offline. I do not carry my wallet.
    bojackr1 and Kalnel like this.
    12-14-2015 11:26 PM
    I use SP whenever it is convenient for me, otherwise I use my credit card. So, I use SP weekly at Safeway and Trader Joe's for groceries and also Target. At Costco I use my Amex card since I already have it out for the cashier to use as my membership id. For Starbucks I use my Starbucks rewards app to pay for purchases. Tully's has a card swipe on their registers so I hand them my physical credit card.
    12-15-2015 05:03 AM
    I think about 85% of payments are with Samsung Pay. I love it
    20blks and bojackr1 like this.
    12-22-2015 04:14 PM
    The one place I don't use Samsung pay is at the supermarket, because my Chase MasterCard gets double points at supermarkets, but Samsung pay is only compatible with Chase Visa. Also, I eat out fairly regularly at restaurants where it isn't possible to use the phone.
    12-23-2015 11:39 PM
    It's worked wherever I have tried it! 100%
    12-24-2015 12:36 PM