08-08-2016 04:21 PM
27 12
tools
    Hey all, just wondering if anyone here has feedback using samsung pay?

Chase sent me a new card and my old one was cut out, so I thought why not just throw the new card on it? Won't hurt

After seeing quite a few videos of it being used in action, I'm pretty optimistic about testing it out tomorrow

Let me know your experiences with it!
    01-31-2016 07:21 PM
    I've been using it for about a month. I signed up for the Samsung offer and got a charger and a battery. It's amusing to go into a store and hold up the phone to a card scanner. The cashier will start to say "we don't take that here yet" and then go "Oh, what did you just do"? I've only had it not work at Sears and the Detroit Auto show ticket kiosk. The kiosk crashed!
    James8561 and angrytentpole like this.
    01-31-2016 07:58 PM
    My primary card uses a chip and Samsung pay doesn't seem to work with terminals where you have to insert your card into the chip reader. I've abandoned it for now because I don't know which terminal will require the chip and which will accept a swipe.
    angrytentpole likes this.
    01-31-2016 08:56 PM
    I've used it at a couple of different terminals that use the chip reader with no problem. These particular terminals do have the swipe option, too, but if you use a card with a chip, they require you to insert the card. My phone has worked fine with them. The only thing I have noticed is that if I don't close down Samsung Pay completely after using it, my phone gets pretty warm.
    02-01-2016 04:22 AM
    I've used it a few places. 7-Eleven and Shoppers seems to not play well with it.
    02-01-2016 08:05 AM
    Hey all, just wondering if anyone here has feedback using samsung pay?

Chase sent me a new card and my old one was cut out, so I thought why not just throw the new card on it? Won't hurt

After seeing quite a few videos of it being used in action, I'm pretty optimistic about testing it out tomorrow

Let me know your experiences with it!
    I've used mine hundreds of times in the last 5 months. Here are the stages one goes through while using Samsung Pay.

Stage 1: Thinking about it. You think this is cool and maybe soon you'll setup a credit card. Finally you go through the process of setting up a card. Hey, that wasn't hard at all. So you set up more. But for some setup doesn't work. Why? Then you try that card again. Now it works. Go figure.

Stage 2: Ok, now I have it on my phone. I have first time use anxiety. What if I look like a fool? What if it doesn't work and I hold up the line. I think I'll wait until there's no one in line behind me. Eventually, you give it a try. You announce it to the checker that this is your first time and be patient with you. And, guess what it works! That was cool.

Stage 3: You announce you're paying with your phone. Every time you use it you announce that you're going to pay for your phone. At first you do this just in case it doesn't work and they know what's going on. Then, once you get confidence that it works every time (once you learn the ins and outs of placement) you announce it to get a reaction from the checker and the people behind you. You like to hear them say, "Oh, we don't support phones yet." (That happens less and less these days.)

Stage 4: It becomes routine. After doing it hundreds of times and getting reactions from the people around you that stuff just gets old. It's routine now and you neither announce nor show off that you're using your phone. You use it just as you would your credit card. The "thrill" is gone and it's just easier to use it than a credit card. And, it's safer. Nobody asks about it or is wowed by it. It's just a tool to be used at the appropriate time.

Stage 5: You're annoyed at places that make it hard to use. Places that put the swipe in the monitor or, worse yet, in the keyboard mean that you have to give your phone to the clerk. This is problematic as they touch a button or the screen and it's no longer on the payment option. You wonder if they're ever going to upgrade their pinpads.
    02-01-2016 11:57 AM
    Hahahaha that's brilliant, I'm between stages 2 and 3 atm, plan to use it in a few hours from now!
    02-01-2016 12:37 PM
    Update: Just hit the end of stage 3 for both times I used it hahahaha

I went to Moe's to buy a burrito and the cashier was just completely dumbfounded, I'm pretty sure he had never seen it being used before because he was unsure to click 'debit/credit'. Totally flabbergasted.

Second time I went to CVS and bought a few things, I pulled the phone up and the cashier went 'We don't support that yet...' and a second later the pad beeps and I enter my pin. Completely dumbfounded as well.

Really happy about samsung pay so far, didn't expect it to be so easily used.
    James8561 likes this.
    02-01-2016 04:20 PM
    this info is borrowed from user jackblacks on slickdeals, credits to him/her. daily limit is 5 GC, i bought 5 ebay ones. will try again tomorrow. just open samsung pay app and tap the giftcards on the right.

list with 20% off:
    Gamestop
    Express
    Ebay
    Toysrus
    Whole foods market
    Regal cinema
    Legal Sea Foods
    Buca di Beppo
    Spafinder Wellness 365
    California Pizza
    Gap
    Athleta
    1800flowers.com
    Banana Republic
    Bow Tie Cinemas
    Old Navy

link to thread on slickdeals:
    USA Samsung Pay gift card deals 20% off - Slickdeals.net

Dear Mods,
    i have posted the same thread on the S6 forum, if you feel the need to move this thread or merge with the others, please do so. thanks.
    02-01-2016 04:20 PM
    I always try and use it at the self checkout line in case it doesn't work. At my local walmart I have noticed that I don't even have to hold the phone touching the machine, sometimes several inches away and then I'm like "huh, pretty magical"
    02-01-2016 05:54 PM
    I'm between Stage 4 and more towards Stage 5, basically, ninety-five% positive and five % negative at this point.
    02-02-2016 02:55 PM
    I'm stage 4 and 5. It's seamless when the cashier listens to what I'm saying and it goes through. However, there are some people who denied my purchase because they want to see the whole card. Why do you need to see my card.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-02-2016 05:36 PM
    It's nothing but a copy of Google wallet from three plus years ago. There is nothing new here folks.

All the NFC does is send the card info just like a card would. Nothing exotic, too bad Samsung is in the act. They provide nothing of value. The added nuisance gets old.
    02-02-2016 05:41 PM
    It's nothing but a copy of Google wallet from three plus years ago. There is nothing new here folks.

All the NFC does is send the card info just like a card would. Nothing exotic, too bad Samsung is in the act. They provide nothing of value. The added nuisance gets old.
    Google Wallet is/was limited to NFC transactions only. Samsung Pay works almost anywhere a credit card works.

Samsung pay provides significant value over any NFC only payment method. With Google Wallet (now Android Pay) I would never be able to pay with my phone simply because I don't shop where "tap to pay" is available. Yet, I've used my phone to make hundreds of payments over the last 5 months. Only Samsung offers this value, no other vendor does as Samsung holds the patents.
    02-02-2016 05:47 PM
    For my experiences with Samsung Pay, I use it when I find it convenient. I don't try to use SP for every possible transaction I make just because I have SP on my phone. I'll use it when I'm making grocery purchases at Safeway or Trader Joes. At restaurants or at the gas pump I'll just use my physical card. I hope that sometime soon using SP will be so routine for merchants that there won't be any hassles or issues.
    02-03-2016 05:05 AM
    I'm deep into Stage 5 and headed toward a Stage 6, in which stores where I can't use it are dead to me. (RIP TJ Maxx.)

Otherwise, I've been plotting ways to avoid using physical credit cards where Samsung Pay won't work. For instance, on the Washington Metro subway system, which has card readers that suck your card into the machine, I add money to my fare card via the website when I'm still at home, so I don't have to pull out my credit card.

At gas stations, I've pretty much stopped paying at the pump, although that's as much because of a rash of card skimmer problems as it is because of Samsung Pay.

At sit-down restaurants, I try to go to ones where I can pay through the Open Table app (which uses Android Pay, but, hey, better than nothing). Probably 75% of the time I have to break out a card, though.

The one area where I haven't found a workaround is at parking lots and other places where they use machines that such your card into the machine. Those drive me nuts. You can't even use cash at many of them.
    02-03-2016 10:40 AM
    To add to stage 5:

Piggybacking on what you said. You get annoyed when you try to politely tell cashiers who don't know what you're doing (legal form of payment) that it works when they think they know everything and claim that it doesn't work.
    02-03-2016 10:43 AM
    I like the look when they tell you it doesn't or can't work. Then you tell them you've been using it there for months. Priceless!
    02-03-2016 03:07 PM
    [WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]
    Almeuit and davidnc like this.
    02-03-2016 11:04 PM
    So I tried it at Denny's today and allegedly the lady behind the counter said it was invalid.

I'm not sure if she didn't know how to use it, she didn't seem too keen on trying and she looked pretty annoyed in general.

I'm sure it would've worked, but that's the only time I've had it not work so far!
    02-04-2016 05:12 PM
    I'm in Australia where paypass rules and they HATE signature cards. So I registered my Am Ex to Samsung pay, and now it's a tap and go card. I love it. Problem is, I can't get it to register another card, and it's a Citi Card, which is one that is supported. Any help I can get would be wonderful!
    03-07-2016 10:50 PM
    The first three weeks I used it at several stores and it worked great. Then the Framework was updated and now it won't work. Tried re-installing SP...took multiple tries before downloading. Now it will not register my fingerprint nor will the keyboard come up. I really liked it so I am sorry it's no longer working. I have a Galaxy S6. No other problems. It will not let me uninstall or re-install either SP or SP Framework. Anybody have an anwer?
    03-10-2016 01:21 PM
    Soft reset, clear cache, reinstall app and re add card.

Posted via the Android Central App
    beh likes this.
    03-12-2016 07:52 AM
    More misses that hits. I have 2 credit/ debit cards on SP. No success with American express whatsoever. Citibank card only successful at BJs. Called institutions and all is fine on their ends. 3 Wal-Mart I've tried with ZERO% success. I wonder if Wal-Mart pay is blocking Samsung Pay. I've been reluctant to try other stores, especially if the lines are long. I'll try again when they are not so busy to avoid possible embarrassment if SP fails again.
    08-07-2016 03:41 PM
    I'm in Australia where paypass rules and they HATE signature cards. So I registered my Am Ex to Samsung pay, and now it's a tap and go card. I love it. Problem is, I can't get it to register another card, and it's a Citi Card, which is one that is supported. Any help I can get would be wonderful!
    I don't use a Citi Card so I have no firsthand knowledge but you may wish to check and see if the particular card that you have from Citi is in fact one that is approved for use with Samsung Pay. Here in the US there are some banks that allow only some of the cards they issue work with Samsung Pay.
    08-08-2016 04:15 PM
27 12