I've been using Samsung Pay almost six months, and I still get some funny reactions from cashiers. (More and more have seen it by now.)

Today I used it a Corner Bakery, where it fascinated the young cashier. When I told him I was going to use it, he said OK, but added that he didn't think it would work. When the transaction went through right away, he reached across the counter to high-five me and said, "Woo-hoo! If I had that phone, I would totally take it to the Apple Store, buy something cheap, and yell, 'Eat this, Genius Bar!'"

What's your best story?
    Mr_Bugman, the tall guy and r56mcs like this.
    03-23-2016 10:48 PM
    Sadly, being from the UK and not owning an Iphone I have yet to have the pleasure of trying it out. I did find an Apple Pay experience funny though;

I was sitting in McDonands drive thru waiting for the car in front of me to pay. They were trying to use their Iphone to pay for the meal, but for some reason it wasn't registering. Instead of giving up and using a bank card, the person kept tapping their phone off the reader. As the person got more and more frustrated the taps became more aggressive, eventually the person dropped the phone right into a bin (small bin sits underneath the drive thru window) the driver and a McDonalds employee then had to rummage through the bin to find the Iphone.

Took about 15 minutes for them to pay and collect their dirty Iphone I paid with cash.
    Kalnel likes this.
    03-24-2016 03:56 AM
    I've had store employees call management on me several times claiming it either didn't work or I was trying to trick them.

A fast food manager told me she would file a police report after I wouldn't hand her my phone even though she was holding the receipt. She reached for it multiple times. I ended up with a $100 gift card from her corporate manager when they reviewed camera recordings.

It's mostly been positive but the negative ones always catch me by surprise. I still use it daily.

Posted via the Android Central App
    r56mcs, Rufus T Firefly and Kalnel like this.
    03-24-2016 09:23 AM
    I had a cashier push my phone away but it was 2 late. The transaction had already gone through

Kalnel and r56mcs like this.
    03-24-2016 09:26 AM
    I used it at Kroger self checkout and the cashier in charge of them came to me as I put my phone to the reader and said "We don't accept Apple pay." As it spit the receipt out she said "I guess we do." Then some kid behind me told his mom to use her iPhone to pay for hers, which obviously didn't work!
    Kalnel and r56mcs like this.
    03-24-2016 06:25 PM
    I've had store employees call management on me several times claiming it either didn't work or I was trying to trick them.

A fast food manager told me she would file a police report after I wouldn't hand her my phone even though she was holding the receipt. She reached for it multiple times. I ended up with a $100 gift card from her corporate manager when they reviewed camera recordings.

It's mostly been positive but the negative ones always catch me by surprise. I still use it daily.

Sounds like the employees there need to be educated big time, by "the powers to be" at the corporate level. Try to snatch my phone, the police will be there for a different report.
    03-24-2016 06:50 PM
    I had one today when I went to pick up my taxes at the accountant's office. The receptionist, who takes the payments, is a woman in her 60s or 70s. She's nice, but not too on the ball. I tried to set things up "gently," so it didn't throw her off, but it didn't work:

Receptionhist: I need your credit card.
    Me: When you're ready to swipe it, tell me, and I'll hold my phone up to pay.
    Her: I need to hold your credit card.
    Me: I'll be paying with my phone. I'll hold it up to the card reader.
    Her: We take Mastercard and Visa cards. We don't take phones.
    Me: This will work.
    Her: But I'll need your card.
    Me: You won't need my card. You'll see. Just do what you'd normally do and tell me when you're ready to swipe.
    Her: What do I need to press?
    Me: Just do what you normally do.
    Her: I don't know how to do pay with phone.
    Me: You don't need to do anything special. Just tell me when you're ready to swipe the card, and I'll use my phone.
    Her: That phone ain't gonna fit in that tiny slot.
    Me: It sends a signal.
    Her: I better get Carl. He does IT.
    Me: You don't need to. Just do what you normally do.
    Her: I'm calling Carl.
    [Brief wait, during which she tells me she doesn't like smartphones. Then Carl appears.]
    Her: She wants to pay with her phone.
    Carl: We don't have that.
    Me: This is Samsung Pay. I just hold my phone up to the card reader.
    Carl: It won't work.
    Me: May I try? Otherwise, I'm not paying today.
    Carl: What do we have to do?
    Me: Nothing. Just tell me when you'd normally swipe the card, and I'll hold my phone up.
    Carl (to the receptionist): OK, but it won't work.
    [I hold my phone up to the credit-card reader. It goes through immediately and the receipt spits out.]
    Carl: If we get charged extra, we're going to bill you for that.
    Me: You won't.
    Receptionist: I didn't even know I could do that. I gotta get me an Apple phone.
    Me: This is a Samsung. "Apple phones" can't do this.
    Carl: Of course Apple can do that. They are the best devices on the market.
    Me: Nope. They don't have the technology. Only Samsung.
    Carl: Put on a note on her file to make sure the payment clears.
    Me: It already cleared. I have a receipt. You have a receipt. It's done.
    Carl: We'll see.
    Receptionist: This job is too complicated.
    flintlock, deibid, beh and 5 others like this.
    03-25-2016 02:11 PM
    Now, that's a Hoot! So Carl is a IT person? He's been drinking too much Apple koolade.
    r56mcs and Kalnel like this.
    03-25-2016 06:04 PM
    Now, that's a Hoot! So Carl is a IT person? He's been drinking too much Apple koolade.
    No kidding! The office's IT isn't exactly cutting edge. This year, they offered copies of your tax return on a USB drive, encrypted with your SSN. Yeah...that's a good idea. (I took paper and scanned it to my system with my own security.)
    03-25-2016 08:24 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have any best story only bad ones. After my third argument with cashiers/managers that it would work and that i wasn't trying to pull some sort of scam i have pretty much given up on using Samsung pay for now. I'd like to use it but it's just not worth the hassle and to be honest i don't really see the big advantage to using it especially when it turns into an argument. Hopefully in time it will get better but for now it's so much easier to just use my credit card.
    03-29-2016 12:29 AM
    That's unfortunate. It's really not typical of using Samsung Pay at all. I use mine several times a day, and most of the time, the cashier never notices. If they do, I just tell them it works on standard credit-card readers. The sale goes through, and that's that. No fight. In fact, they're usually really into seeing what happens.

The benefits are pretty obvious:
    -- Security. Your credit card number is protected from skimmers
    -- Security. Merchants don't get your card number, so they can't have it compromised in a data breach.
    -- Security. You don't have to worry about losing them/having your wallet stolen
    -- Security/convenience. Get a notification of the transaction immediately so you can see if there are any errors
    -- Convenience. Carry/use multiple cards at all times, without jamming up your wallet
    -- Convenience. Faster to wave your phone over the reader than to dig out you wallet, find your card, swipe it, put it back, etc.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the main ones for me. I don't even carry a wallet anymore.
    James8561 likes this.
    03-29-2016 11:38 AM
    Unfortunately I don't have any best story only bad ones. After my third argument with cashiers/managers that it would work and that i wasn't trying to pull some sort of scam i have pretty much given up on using Samsung pay for now. I'd like to use it but it's just not worth the hassle and to be honest i don't really see the big advantage to using it especially when it turns into an argument. Hopefully in time it will get better but for now it's so much easier to just use my credit card.
    I've used mine well over 150 times in the last 6 months and have only had an issue once or twice. Most of the time people don't notice.
    Kalnel likes this.
    04-14-2016 03:10 PM
    Here's my story...

I was at Home Depot. We had just picked out our Christmas tree in the parking lot. This year they gave us a tag to take into the garden department to pay for the tree. I was tired and getting a cold. And, we hadn't had dinner and I was hungry. I was in no mood for any hassle. So, the cashier rings up the tag and I pull out my phone to pay. The cashier says, "that won't work here we don't have that." I don't want to get into it with the cashier and don't want to spend the effort to explain it so I just say, "it'll work," in a grumpty tone as I put the phone on the pinpad terminal. He replies with "No, it...." and stops in mid-sentence as it works. He hands me the receipt. I take it and turn away and neither one of us say anything.

I've used Samsung pay over 150 times in the last 6 months with only Lowes giving me any trouble. It just works and most cashiers don't even know it's happening.
    Kalnel and deibid like this.
    04-14-2016 03:15 PM
    Used Samsung Pay for the first time this weekend. Cashier asked for the last 4 of my card, and I gave her the last 4 and she informed me that was the wrong last 4. Even showed her the card and she was confused, then her coworker informed me and her that Samsung Pay gives a digital card number and to look at the card on the phone to get the digital last 4. I had that oh, oops look. Gave the digital last 4 and everything worked fine.
    06-20-2016 12:26 PM
    Such a cool feature I hope it catches on in our country soon.
    06-20-2016 07:35 PM