USB audio output

jhearcht

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active : USB to car audio doesn't work

I searched for and found several posts on various forums discussing the same problem, but none of the suggestions made any difference. My previous phone, an S3 Mini would connect to the car stereo instantly via USB. But my new phone can't connect via USB, or Bluetooth, although the headphone jack works --- with the usual limitations. I downloaded the SoundAboutPro app and then rebooted. But none of the settings make any difference.

Since my old phone would play via USB, there is nothing wrong with the car system. So the current Android OS or Samsung system must be at fault. Any suggestions?

PS__I can play music to my PC only by turning on USB debugging. Which is not recommended for regular use.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it could be something 'wrong' with your car system. Newer versions of Android may have issues with older audio systems, so I'd try to see if there are any updates to your car's audio system. You'd definitely need it for USB since the S3 still supported generic USB connection (USB Stick Mode) but newer versions have scrapped that mode entirely and need the host to support Media Transfer.

jhearcht

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I doubt it's the 2015 car system. My old S3 played music via USB in the car. But for the new S6, the car audio says "check device". Also, I had to download a special app, SoundAbout, before I could connect to my PC via USB.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, the OS in your S3 supported the 'generic' USB transfer protocol, but newer phones do not. Before, because it was a generic profile, you didn't need special drivers to connect the S3 to a car or computer as long as they used the generic USB transfer protocol. With the S6, that generic profile is gone and you need a special driver (you shouldn't need to download the app, you just needed to download the phone's drivers) for a PC to read it, and the same goes for a car audio system. Since these drivers aren't generic, some manufacturers chose not to license the drivers and don't include support for those in their units.

jhearcht

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Spook, Thanks for the information.
I installed the mobile driver from Sa msung for my phone to Windows 10, but still no connection. Control Panel search doesn't find my device.
I wasn't able to download the same driver to my phone, because the download button doesn't work.
I installed USB Driver For Android from Play Store to my phone. It shows a bar & button for MTP, but the button is gray, and tapping it has no effect.
Is connection between devices supposed to be this difficult? Whatever happened to Plug'n'Play?

jhearcht

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I have just discovered that some USB cables are for "charging only", and lack the wiring for data transfer. I have tried both the charging cable that came with the phone, and an older USB cable that had played music on my previous 2012 car radio. Neither will play music in my new car. The car USB is supposed to work with Ipods, so it should have the necessary data wiring. Anyway, I still think the problem is in the phone, not the car. I had a friend try to connect her Samsung phone to the car via USB & Bluetooth, but no success. Apparently, data connection between devices is still fraught with difficulties.

jhearcht

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I still can't connect my S6 to PC or car audio via USB. On PC I connect USB cable, then in Control Panel I search for Add a Device. It finds "Z812 phone", which I suppose must be the S6, but I don't know what the number means. PC then asks if "passcode" matches, but there is nothing on the phone to indicate a passcode. I've seen passcode matches during Bluetooth pairing, but this is USB. Under Developer Options, USB debugging is On, which a website said would allow the PC to read the phone's memory. But so far the PC does not know the phone exists. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair