Hey guys. I was at CVS yesterday and figured I might as well try their NFC reader (I have a Gear S3). I know these readers are known for blocking SP, but I've heard they're starting to allow it at select locations. Unfortunately/predictably, I ended up getting the "contactless payments not allowed" message when trying their NFC. I then tried it MST, but got a card read error despite holding it in place for a while. As the line formed behind me, had no choice but to pull out my card.

Interestingly, my first attempt at CVS a couple months back went just fine via MST. That particular terminal did not even have an NFC reader on the top. I first selected "credit" (have a Chase cc), held watch to mag reader and it went through flawlessly.

I'm curious to know others' experiences at CVS. Has anyone gotten their NFC reader to actually accept a payment? Or if MST is the only way to go, must you always first select "credit" before paying or have the cashier hit credit if there's no option consumer-side?

I know CVS is probably best avoided like Walmart (Walgreens NFC actually ACCEPTS payments), but I guess I'm just stubborn that way
    03-18-2017 12:29 PM
    I have used Samsung Pay at several CVS stores here (central NC) without a problem. At a couple of places the clerk told me it wouldn't work, but when I tried it, it did. They were surprised and impressed!
    03-23-2017 08:15 AM
    DrJay1, what kind of terminals did they have? The newer ones with the NFC readers on the top or no NFC at all? I have also found SP works fine at 2 CVS stores I've tried, as long as it's an older terminal with no NFC pad. It's the one time I tried an NFC terminal that caused issues...blocked my payment attempting the NFC and then the MST gave me a read error.
    03-23-2017 02:32 PM
    I believe they had the newer terminals. When I put my watch up to the terminal at one CVS the clerk kept saying it won't work. But it did. She was amazed.
    03-30-2017 01:27 PM
    Yep same with me! Apparently, as long as you avoid getting too close to the NFC reader and just use MST via mag stripe, it works just fine. When I first tried via NFC, the terminal blocked my payment entirely (NFC/MST) and the clerk of course proved me wrong, saying "I've never seen it work before." Only this time, I was sure to do MST and thus proved her wrong! She changed her tune just a bit admitting "I've never seen that before!"
    04-01-2017 01:52 PM
    Works great at the CVS stores in the Washington, DC, area. I generally keep my NFC on, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

FWIW, I usually put the back of the phone next to the magnetic reader. It seems to work a little faster/better than putting the phone above the reader.
    04-14-2017 09:52 PM
    Went through for me great from my Gear S3 via MST
    05-05-2017 06:51 PM