Ever since there has been a Samsung Pay, I've used it with near-religious rigor. One of the places where it is most convenient for me, on a day-to-day basis, is at Subway sandwich shops.

Back when the service was introduced on the Gear S2, and following though to my current Gear S3, I've used my watch to pay at a franchise near my office. The people there got to know me and this technique to the extent that they referred to me as "George Jetson".

Then, several months ago, it didn't work one day. And then again, later in the week. And then again for the next few weeks, and months. Sadly, it never worked again after that first failed incident all those months ago.

To be sure, I have reset my watch and re-activated the card on numerous occasions, in an attempt to mitigate - to no avail. The watch continues to work at other retailers, with no issues.

It isn't just the watch that no longer works at (several) Subway shops, either. The same "Waiting" message is displayed ad-infinitum on the point-of-sale terminal when attempting to pay with my S8+ as well - requiring them to cancel and re-enter the transaction so I can use my physical card to pay. Every single time.

How quaint.

Anyone else with anecdotal evidence on their Samsung Pay success/failure at Subway stores?
    07-14-2017 05:40 PM
    That sounds more like a problem with Subways payment system, borne out by success at other stores. Have you tried contacting corporate?
    07-14-2017 05:52 PM
    Indeed.

No, it isn't worth the effort to go to that length. That call would be fraught with misunderstanding, confusion and frustration. And, as I am married - with two teen-aged daughters - I feel I have sufficient quantities of each of those aspects in my life already.

I was curious to see if this was possibly only a regional issue, since I can reproduce the failure at many of their franchise locations - albeit all locally.

Odd that it worked so well for so long, only to fail completely now at each attempt.
    07-14-2017 06:09 PM
    Indeed.

No, it isn't worth the effort to go to that length. That call would be fraught with misunderstanding, confusion and frustration. And, as I am married - with two teen-aged daughters - I feel I have sufficient quantities of each of those aspects in my life already.

I was curious to see if this was possibly only a regional issue, since I can reproduce the failure at many of their franchise locations - albeit all locally.

Odd that it worked so well for so long, only to fail completely now at each attempt.
    Samsung Pay and its weird quirks that Samsung seems to have no clue about can be very frustrating.

I've noticed if a store is set up for mobile payments it almost always works. Is your local Subway?

The Subways in my area take mobile payments and it always works. If yours accepts mobile, have you tried Android Pay to see if it's the same problem?
    07-14-2017 06:26 PM
    Thank you for confirming that it continues to work at your local Subway shops.

Yes, I'm quite confident that the local franchises - where I had used the system successfully for many months - are mobile-payment enabled.

I do not have any credit accounts associated with Android Pay, so I have not tested that approach.
    07-14-2017 06:34 PM
    It might be worth trying. I work at a local financial institution and so when I noticed our cards in Samsung Pay were less reliable than a big bank competitor we started doing several tests including comparing NFC reliability, MST reliability, and reliability between Android Pay and Samsung Pay. So far I can say that some of the blame for SP issues people encounter is related to the specific financial institution and it's 3rd party vendors, and some is Samsung Pay itself. It also seems like if a terminal takes NFC or MST you're always better choosing NFC. You might try a different financial institution (for me Chase is never declined) and see if that goes through where the other didn't. That would narrow down the list of potential problems to address.
    07-14-2017 06:42 PM
    Thanks for your insight.

I have, in fact, experimented at Subway with positioning my phone and watch in proximity to the magnetic card-reader on some occasions, and the NFC reader during others, while attempting to determine if one approach would be more successful.

As I maintain a credit account with only one bank and, since the issue is, so far, isolated to the scenario described above, I am unlikely to secure another account in order to do such a comparative analysis.

To be clear, my success percentages with my phone - at virtually every retailer - exceed 95%, and my watch is probably near 90%, so I'm not concerned about resolving this as much as I was seeking information from other users regarding their experiences at Subway specifically.
    Kilrahi and 11B1P like this.
    07-14-2017 06:55 PM
    I've found that if you hold your phone/S3 over the top edge of the reader vs the strip reader on the side, it works every time.
    12-06-2017 07:57 AM