Samsung Pay is still blowing minds

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to believe there are still folks out in the retail industry that haven't heard of or seen Samsung Pay in action.

Case in point: I went and got my car's oil changed the other day. The cashier in this establishment sits behind a glass partition and the old-style magnetic point of sale card reader sits outside for the customer to use. The cashier punches up my purchase and as I go to pay with my phone (a Galaxy Note 10+), she tells me "We don't have that".

I smile and put the phone to the reader. Of course it processed the transaction just fine. She looked at me as if I had performed a magic trick. "Oh wow! It went through!" As she handed me the maintenance receipt to sign, she asked "What phone is that? Is that the new iPhone?" I tried to hold back my contempt at the thought of carrying an iPhone and simply replied "No, an iPhone can't do this. Do a Google search for Samsung Pay. Unlike Apple Pay, Samsung Pay works almost everywhere." I didn't try to explain the difference between NFC and MST or any of the technology.

Suffice it to say, at least in the US, the iPhone and Apple Pay still hold the lion's share of people's mindset when it come to mobile payments. So when those people are shown that something else better exists they're completely caught off guard.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
yesterday at Walmart, the CSM watching the self checkouts assumed I was using Walmart Pay and was surprised when I got a receipt and cash back.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My 'they called the cops on me' story will never be topped, but I find it super funny that whenever I pay when I get my haircut, the lady that does my hair still calls everyone else in the salon to watch how I pay with my phone on their regular terminal. And she's seen me do that multiple times, bless her merry heart hehe.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
My 'they called the cops on me' story will never be topped, but I find it super funny that whenever I pay when I get my haircut, the lady that does my hair still calls everyone else in the salon to watch how I pay with my phone on their regular terminal. And she's seen me do that multiple times, bless her merry heart hehe.

hard to top the cops getting called :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess early adoption has a way of getting me in trouble with the law haha (Also had TSA stop me and ask why I was talking to my watch when the Moto 360 came out... and just as with Samsung Pay, people kept asking if it was the mApple Watch when that watch wasn't even out yet. Gotta give it to them, at least in the US, they've made a helluva job 'inventing' all new tech).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I gave the clerks at the Post Office an education in how it works when they told me we don't accept Apple Pay. Lol

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
anyone remember loopPay? it is the company samsung got mst from. I remember when loopPay first announced their device and had a kickstart for it back in, I think, 2013. I almost got in on it because seemed to be a great little gadget to store your credit card info and use at the register. I don't think they ever got it working properly. I am sure glad samsung bought it and incorporated it into their payment system. One less gadget to carry around :)

but think of the responses you would have gotten with it

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Here's the thing about Samsung Pay. I've used it several times places that tell me you can't pay with mobile. When it works and the rep asks me how I did it I tell them it's Samsung Pay. Often times the rep has told me "Oh I've got Samsung Pay on my phone, but never set it up". Samsung really needs to actually market it in the US if they want people to use it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's the thing about Samsung Pay. I've used it several times places that tell me you can't pay with mobile. When it works and the rep asks me how I did it I tell them it's Samsung Pay. Often times the rep has told me "Oh I've got Samsung Pay on my phone, but never set it up". Samsung really needs to actually market it in the US if they want people to use it.
It's a shame they are the only ones that can work on almost any terminal. I guess they have a patent on the tech.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame they are the only ones that can work on almost any terminal. I guess they have a patent on the tech.

They do. Years ago, they bought LoopPay, the company that invented the Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) technology that Samsung is using for Samsung Pay. Samsung saw the potential and jumped on it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
They do. Years ago, they bought LoopPay, the company that invented the Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) technology that Samsung is using for Samsung Pay. Samsung saw the potential and jumped on it.

Yeah, I remember thinking it wasn't a big deal until I actually started using it with my S8+. Everybody assumes it's Apple Pay because Apple advertises Apple Pay a good bit. If Samsung started making commercials for it again I think people might use it more. I still have some cards that don't support Samsung Pay so I still have to carry my wallet for those cards and my drivers license.

I have one card that supports Samsung Pay that I've had registered on a past device that refuses to work on my Note 10+. The card company says it's provisioned on their end, and has done it several times, but it just won't go through. I have a theory that I've just had the same card registered on too many devices in the past few years between iPhones, Apple Watches, Android, and my Samsung watches, but the reps say that shouldn't be a problem.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01