[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM 0.2

Installed smoothly. No FC's. Now comes the chore of installing everything all over again :)

Great! sorry for not allowing you to keep your data though, it ensures a smooth upgrade, and I would have to ensure everyone has a large enough sd card or provide separate zip's. I don't have the speed to upload multiple versions just yet :p

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

My little brother seems to have warm battery problems too, I think it might just be hardware related. He runs stock GB, no root or anything.

azmedic

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I think I got stuck in a loop. I printed out the first page to make sure I was following step by step. I even tried re-downloading and starting over. My phone turns on, goes to the "Samsung" screen, then "SPH-M580" then reboots. I have to hold u to get it into the cwm so I can shut it off.
I downloaded from firehak.com, unzipped, copied the zip to the sd, rebooted in download, ran odin, one package was already checked, selected the ops file then tar, hit start, held u on reboot, installed zip from cwm and rebooted.
tentonbricks did you do something I missed?

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Mine just got warm because of all the downloading I did.

Did you drastically reduce bloat somehow? In 0.1 I had the same apps installed and I was down to about 30mb of space left. Now, with same apps installed, I have 90mb. What gives?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine just got warm because of all the downloading I did.

Did you drastically reduce bloat somehow? In 0.1 I had the same apps installed and I was down to about 30mb of space left. Now, with same apps installed, I have 90mb. What gives?

No, removing bloat from /system will not change your free space, it just removes them from your app tray and all that. Give it time, you installed your apps fresh. Sooner or later they will eat up space using their own data. I'm working on getting sd-ext to work which makes the phone mount your sdcard as /data and will post a guide later wen I get it working. Then you can have gigs of data without worry, but your sd card will be unusable in Windows and maybe Mac (don't use them, wouldn't know).

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I think I got stuck in a loop. I printed out the first page to make sure I was following step by step. I even tried re-downloading and starting over. My phone turns on, goes to the "Samsung" screen, then "SPH-M580" then reboots. I have to hold u to get it into the cwm so I can shut it off.
I downloaded from firehak.com, unzipped, copied the zip to the sd, rebooted in download, ran odin, one package was already checked, selected the ops file then tar, hit start, held u on reboot, installed zip from cwm and rebooted.
tentonbricks did you do something I missed?

Try clearing cache and data from CWM. Someone on G+ told me they could not get past the SPH-M580 screen and that fixed it. So far I've had 3 successful installs (1 being me) and 2 that failed (you and a guy from G+). He told me clearing cache and data let his phone boot and all was good. I'll have to clean up my installer script next release.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Here is one more clean and effortless install - thanks firehak!

Thanks for all your hard work too! Oh, and one more little note, just in case! If you're freaking out over the black screen after SPH-M580, it's NOT an issue, this is because of disabled boot animations making the phone load faster. The first time your phone loads, everything gets zip-aligned and data is rebuilt, so it takes a little longer.

azmedic

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Try clearing cache and data from CWM. Someone on G+ told me they could not get past the SPH-M580 screen and that fixed it. So far I've had 3 successful installs (1 being me) and 2 that failed (you and a guy from G+). He told me clearing cache and data let his phone boot and all was good. I'll have to clean up my installer script next release.

That worked! I was running leafrom and it wouldn't work so I tried switching to the gingerbread odin on your website. From there I was able to change to PhoeniX, wipe cache/data and it worked. Looks great so far! Thanks

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I've got 0.2 installed smoothly and running fine as well. I also had to wipe data and cache in recovery in order to boot, but that wasn't a big deal.

One question though, and sorry if it's been asked already, but if the boot animations are disabled by default, how might one enable them?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Add a boot animation to /system/media/bootanimation.zip. You'll need to remount /system as read-write in adb or some app that does it for you. After you place it it needs permissions, so you'd chmod 755 (or maybe 777) /system/media/bootanimation.zip and reboot to test. The samsung logos have been disabled at the kernel level. I have speed/performance in mind when trying to make this, so I apologize if it's something you'd rather not have by default, though simply installing the animation yourself will give you one back.

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Great job on the new release. When I first looked at it I was wondering why I wasnr mentioned in the credits, then i realized all i helped with was the root, not the actual rom. Anyway, again great job on the newest release and one question: wasnt the filesystem ext4 previously or was it ext3?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

No, the file system was ReiserFS Robust File System. By suggestion, I made the switch to ext4 and couldn't be happier with the performance. It's not a huge boost, no, but it does keep my phone running smoothly. I don't have any lag when switching screens and what not, even with low storage space. Things should load a bit faster and stay smooth (so long as your phone supports the app).

Edit: Shabby has corrected me, I simply assumed ReiserFS by the abbreviation. It was "Robust File System" by Samsung, which is no longer even supported. A quick reference can bee seen here: RFS. Note the reference link to Samsung's page no longer exists since it is no longer supported ;)

Edit 2: Hey all, another fun feature for you guys coming soon. I got sd-ext working, meaning MORE SPACE FOR APPS. I'm not quite ready to write you guys a tutorial yet, so sit tight as I work out some kinks. I found some problems (non-major, I promise!) with boot.img which is causing a few tweaks not to run. I also don't know if my phone failing to boot every other boot, then working and mounting my sd-ext is because my SD isn't fast enough, or if this is my error. However, it is working for me nonetheless, and my phone couldn't be more responsive for the budget phone that it is. Now that you've sat through another boring update, here's what you've been waiting for, proof of extra storage ;)

SDHC Class 4, 4GB partitioned for ~2.4GB FAT32, ~1.1 GB EXT4, and 32MB Swap.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

blin829

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Installation went smoothly for me as well!

I noticed that the default launcher still has the Sprint ID icon on right. Is there anyway to change this?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Installation went smoothly for me as well!

I noticed that the default launcher still has the Sprint ID icon on right. Is there anyway to change this?

Not yet, unfortunately. I need to be able to compile the default launcher from source or de-compile the current one and edit smali code (which might be awhile for me to get good at). My current concern is to make sure I get the phone working fast, smooth, and as stable as possible. Once I feel that has been done, I'll start making other edits and replacing apps. As far as I know at this moment, the above post and de-odexing the phone are the last changes the immediately come to mind. I'd love to build GB from source as well, but I don't have the internet connection to download the source just yet.

djjavejav

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

firehak,

Just so I'm clear...coming from stock, installing PhoenixROM using Odin automatically installs CWM as well, correct? It seemed implied in the OP, but I just wanted to make sure before I moved forward with Phoenix.

Based on Shabby's posts, I've been waiting to install CWM, figuring it would be "bundled" with your ROM goodness.