[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM

Love the ROM firehak. Thanks for all of your hard work. I have fallen back from developing into thriving off of other peoples work. Awesome ROM. Love the extra space, the speed, no carrier iq, CWM. the benefits just keep on coming. Can't wait for 0.2!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

If anyone should happen to have issues with the Phone and MMS applications (or any problems really) after factory wiping, please let me know as soon as possible and I'll look for a solution. Good to hear that those of you who read the directions say everything is working.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

How might we go about getting Google Talk installed? Looks like it was removed, and I don't see it in the market. Am I missing something?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I still have every factory apk sorry to remove something you wanted. I can post the apk and instructions for you sometime later today? It was in /system, but I'm hoping you can install it with a file manager, or I'll have to give commands to mount /system and copy the app over.

shrekdaklown

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

ima try agian but i did factory wipe it when it booted maybe my phones just on tard level lol
ok so update i tryed agian followed instructions to the dot wiped everything and even erased the sd card and still if i reboot the phone i have massive force close loops and my phone wont get service

Last edited:

TekGai

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

experiencing the dialer and messenger FC's. Reloaded did the odin image and did a factory reset along with wiping the cache. Fine for first boot, then whenever you restart the phone the FC's start again. I'm just going to chill on rooted stock for the time being.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

experiencing the dialer and messenger FC's. Reloaded did the odin image and did a factory reset along with wiping the cache. Fine for first boot, then whenever you restart the phone the FC's start again. I'm just going to chill on rooted stock for the time being.

I'll try de-odexing them again then and see if that helps. That's my only guess at the moment as to why there is any problem with them crashing.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Hey Tentonbrocks - here is Talk.apk - just copy it to your CD card and click on it with your file explorer. Note you must have third party sources enabled. This should get you going with Talk.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for posting that dmrlook! I'm hoping de-odexing these two apk's worked, I read the help for smali.jar and apparently if I don't specify the Android API level, it defaults to 14 (ICS). I only specified the API level when de-odexing the /system/framework folder, but not /system/app. Thankfully these are the only 2 giving issues, but I'll be re-doing every last apk again for 0.2 if this affects it.

Can someone try using ADB to swap Phone.apk and Mms.apk for me?

> = Windows / Mac / Linux command line
$ = non-root
# = root

Code:
>adb push Phone.apk /data/local/tmp/Phone.apk
>adb push Mms.apk /data/local/tmp/Mms.apk
>adb shell
$adb su
#remount rw
#rm Phone.apk
#rm Mms.apk
#cp /data/local/tmp/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.apk
#cp /data/local/tmp/Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk
#rm /data/local/tmp/*
#reboot

View attachment 20365

Last edited:

zealotous

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks Firehak for your work on this project. I'm an avid Evo ROMr and I got the Replenish for my son. Decided to give your project a shot.

Having the FC's with Phone.apk and Mms.apk and am in the process of swapping the new apks and will post results shortly.

zealotous

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Followed directions as given couldn't get it to work. Still getting FC loop on Phone. Also, not sure if anyone else called this out, but getting "no service"

Tried a variety of things including:
Starting from a fresh Odin install
chmod 755 on apk (noticed the apk from adb shell were rw, other functioning apks were rwx)

Anyone else have luck on these?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Followed directions as given couldn't get it to work. Still getting FC loop on Phone. Also, not sure if anyone else called this out, but getting "no service"

Tried a variety of things including:
Starting from a fresh Odin install
chmod 755 on apk (noticed the apk from adb shell were rw, other functioning apks were rwx)

Anyone else have luck on these?

I'm sorry for the very late reply, I can't do anything until sometime Monday. Thanks for taking the time to at least try since I don't have the speeds to keep uploading new images on a chance something may get fixed. I know every step I took to create the first version and will be starting from complete scratch. I left left my Replenish on stock GB on the chance something like this should happen, so I'll be taking a backup when I get home, then wiping it clean to start fresh.

Now that I know the problem persists on each reboot I know to check for it. I apologize for anyone using the ROM having this issue, and I'll release a fixed image as soon as possible. When I get home, I'll post the stock (un-touched) GB Phone.apk/odex and Mms.apk/odex with replacement instructions in hopes that the problem goes away for the time being.

It isn't my top priority, but I'll be taking another look at boot animations for you guys as well if all goes well and quick. Going from stock to PhoeniX won't be difficult, just repetitive flashing and rebooting. If I'm lucky, I'll have a new image for you guys the same day I get home.

Also, dmrlook and I are also playing with the kernel in hopes for releasing more than a performance tweaked rom, so wish us luck. ;)

Update: I came across some very useful information today. Once I patch up 0.1 for you guys on Monday, I'm excited to say that I've already found out exactly what's going into 0.2! Once again, I'd like to apologize to anyone who was affected by the 2 messed up apk's.

Last edited:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't like double posting, but I have another (unfortunate) update. My primary hard drive (750GB) failed and corrupted. I spent the entire day in a live disc backing up files from my last good drive to other places and literally just finished installing Windows and my drivers. I'm running file recovery software, but the ETA is pretty daunting. I watched it go from 2 hours, to jumping up to 20+, then saying "1 day." I'm very sorry to keep you waiting on fixes, so I would suggest anyone either not reboot, or flash the pre-rooted image. Nobody has complained about anything failing on it yet, so I assume it works. If my recovery should fail, don't worry. I won't/haven't lost anything related to the ROM expect for the VM I use to work on it with. I'm mainly trying to get back personal files with this.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Only issues I've had has been the issues on reboot, and, for some reason the camera isn't working properly. Just getting a white screen, yet pictures capture properly.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

FYI all - I was able to build the samsung open source kernel and get it to load properly in recovery mode (have not tried the open src kernel in normal boot mode yet). However this is good news that the kernel does actually load! Hopefully this means we can start doing some kernel mods to unlock new features.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I should clarify:

I had a spontaneous reboot the other day (happens sometimes with this phone... dunno know why). I had to do a factory wipe again to get keep the FC from happening. Rather annoying to have to wipe and reinstall everything every time the phone reboots.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry about all that. I've had a bad day and have been letting multiple recovery software's run for hours turning up nothing, but I've finally found one where I'm actually getting my data back! So far it's been small things, but I should have everything back tonight and get back to fixing PhoeniX tomorrow morning!

Last edited:

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry about all that. I've had a bad day and have been letting multiple recovery software's run for hours turning up nothing, but I've finally found one where I'm actually getting my data back! So far it's been small things, but I should have everything back tonight and get back to fixing Phoenix tomorrow morning!

Hey no worries and no need to apologize. Just thought I'd let you know what I'm experiencing so you can look into it as you're on your journey to 0.2!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm making it a priority to fix 0.1 first so there isn't a need to wait so long, I feel bad. It kinda blew up in my face having the two most important applications giving problems, didn't it? :p If I really can't fix it, I'm sure leaving an odexed copy of them would stop the issues, but I'd rather have a completely deodexed rom for you guys.

Update: I managed to recover 100% of files I wanted/needed back and got my Ubuntu VM back!

View attachment 20524

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01