[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM 0.2

Have you run this? Are you able to? If you went back to stock GB, you should be able to run this. If so, let me know and I will give you some commands to run so you can pull the data for the rest of us and then firehak can roll the update into his phoenix ROM.

On another note, I hope to have an updated kernel for you all in the next few days - just one more issue to work out. This new kernel will have native EXT4 support as well as the smartassV2 CPU governor. I'll provide details on that in a new post when I am ready to release. This new kernel will be based of of the updated samsung kernel (based on the update you just provided above)

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Have you run this? Are you able to? If you went back to stock GB, you should be able to run this. If so, let me know and I will give you some commands to run so you can pull the data for the rest of us and then firehak can roll the update into his phoenix ROM.

On another note, I hope to have an updated kernel for you all in the next few days - just one more issue to work out. This new kernel will have native EXT4 support as well as the smartassV2 CPU governor. I'll provide details on that in a new post when I am ready to release. This new kernel will be based of of the updated samsung kernel (based on the update you just provided above)

I ran it right after i flashed the rom. I flashed the phoneix rom so it didnt work. i thought all yalll needed was the zip file??

And as far as i know, from firehak, you can't go back to stock GB cause of the ext4. sooooo...yea

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I can't use it, but firehak's brother might still be on stock, in which case firehak can run it on his brothers phone and pull the files we need. There is a path back to stock GB, but it involves a reformat of cache back to RFS. I imagine firehak would know how to do it. I don't know to format.

At least we all now know that it won't run on phoenix rom. thx.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I can't use it, but firehak's brother might still be on stock, in which case firehak can run it on his brothers phone and pull the files we need. There is a path back to stock GB, but it involves a reformat of cache back to RFS. I imagine firehak would know how to do it. I don't know to format.

At least we all now know that it won't run on phoenix rom. thx.

It ran..did what it was supposed to do, but when it came time to finish doing it, I got hit with the android logo and a yellow triangle..lol..I'm guessing it didn't work. Lol

I'm just happy I could pull it for y'all. Hope y'all get some use out of it. I wander what it is..lol..hmm.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Going back to stock work does work, /cache just does not get formatted back to rfs. The phone officially looks for /cache/big_long_stupid_name_VERSION_to_VERSION.zip but it can also be manually placed in /sdcard/update.zip and run from stock recovery (so long as the checksum matches the official update). Dunno if CWM allows it. Anyway, if I can use my brothers phone I'll get back to you on it dmrlook.

So I'm new to this hole rooting thing I've got My replenish rooted .. So different ROMs have to be comparable with my phone? So after rooting with Phoenix 0.2 Are there different Looks ?? Gingerbread?? I'm not sure the difference if there is one ... Can someone xplane and if there are Different Loos versions and what the difference is?????

YES, you absolutely CANNOT flash a rom for another phone onto this phone. If a rom is not made for the phone you flash, you will end up with a brick. No one has done any special theming, I left the default Gingerbread theme. This rom is also "odexed" as it was in stock, meaning theming would be more difficult until I sort out why the phone and texting apps crash when "de-odexed." I'm not sure what you mean by different "Loos versions" though.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

FYI- Don't try editing the sprint update package yourself and running it - it almost bricked my phone. I was stuck in a recovery mode boot loop. The sprint recovery assumes our phones are RFS partitions. I got around that enough for it to run, but then it modified the boot loader to always go into recovery so it could run some other code to do a lo-level update to some files. Fortunately, I had backed up the boot loader, so I was able to get back into the phone. Our best bet is for someone with stock to run it for us and capture the files we need.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
FYI- Don't try editing the sprint update package yourself and running it - it almost bricked my phone. I was stuck in a recovery mode boot loop. The sprint recovery assumes our phones are RFS partitions. I got around that enough for it to run, but then it modified the boot loader to always go into recovery so it could run some other code to do a lo-level update to some files. Fortunately, I had backed up the boot loader, so I was able to get back into the phone. Our best bet is for someone with stock to run it for us and capture the files we need.

The only thing if done is pull apps from it.do I just rezip it and I'm good to flash? Or what? I setup my box for the MIT-Google code with eclipse and the sdks.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

No - it does not actually contain the files we need. In order to minimize download time with the updates, the updates are actually patches to existing files. So when the update.zip as downloaded is run, it tries to changes (patch) portions of files on the phone. Take a look in the zip - you will find a bunch of *.p files which are just file fragments.

anon(482951)

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Apparently The FA19 Update Completely removes Carrier IQ off the phone.

Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector report:

Build fingerprint:
samsung/SPH-M580/SPH-M580:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FA19:user/release-keys

Carrier IQ was not found
Detection score: 0

Test for: Linux kernel interfaces
(KERNEL_INTERFACES, weight 50)

nothing found

Test for: Android logcat debugging log
(LOGCAT, weight 100)

nothing found

Test for: Linux kernel drivers
(KERNEL_DRIVERS, weight 50)

nothing found

Test for: System services
(SERVICES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: ROM binaries and daemons
(SYSTEM_BINARIES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: ROM configs
(ETC_CONFIG, weight 0)

nothing found

Test for: Packages
(PACKAGES, weight 70)

nothing found

Test for: Running processes
(RUNNING_PROCESSES, weight 200)

nothing found

Test for: Suspicious classes
(SUSPICIOUS_CLASSES, weight 0)

nothing found

Test for: Linux kernel dmesg log
(DMESG, weight 100)

nothing found

rU516.png

--
Voodoo CarrierIQ Detector 2.0.5

Last edited:

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I ran it right after i flashed the rom. I flashed the phoneix rom so it didnt work. i thought all yalll needed was the zip file??

And as far as i know, from firehak, you can't go back to stock GB cause of the ext4. sooooo...yea

We learn something new every day, don't we?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Damn - I was hoping you could pull some files for us. Perhaps tomorrow, if you want, I can post a new kernel for our phones that should also give you root access. From there, you can easily pull the files I need.

However, you would be best to install clock work mod recovery first. There is a link that shabby put up here somewhere. That should work for you. It's an odin package. You comfortable with doing stuff like that? There would be some manual steps to prevent your phone from going back to stock recovery.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Damn - I was hoping you could pull some files for us. Perhaps tomorrow, if you want, I can post a new kernel for our phones that should also give you root access. From there, you can easily pull the files I need.

However, you would be best to install clock work mod recovery first. There is a link that shabby put up here somewhere. That should work for you. It's an odin package. You comfortable with doing stuff like that? There would be some manual steps to prevent your phone from going back to stock recovery.

So are you saying well have a new kernel today sometime?? What advantages would it have over the old one?? Will it be cooked into the new PhoeniX rom??

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps - I am still working on one annoying issue (explained below).
So the kernel I am working on (and currently running on my phone) adds the following:
1. EXT4 native support so we don't need to load modules into the kernel. I imagine this gives a very minor speed improvement.
2. Addition of the smartassV2 governor.
3. Addition of the interactive governor.

As for what governors are, they are the algorithms that manage (govern) the CPU frequency (speed at which the CPU is clocked). Depending on the governor selected, and how it is tuned, you can get better performance (at the expense of batt life) or batter batt life (at the expense of performance). Different governors try to manage the tradeoffs to provide the bets of both worlds. From what I have read, SmartassV2 is one of of best at maximizing performance and batt life. I provided interactive as well to give you all a choice (interactive is also considered very good). Just google interactive governor or smartassv2 governor for details.

As for the one issue I am still fighting, I've compiled my kernel to select SmartassV2 as the default governor, but yet when the phone is fully booted, the ondemand (stock) governor is still running as the default. No matter what I try, I can not get it to load with my selected governor. I have installed setCPU and am easily able to change the governor with that to whatever I wat (including the 2 new ones I added) and setCPU can set the governor at phone boot time to smartassV2, but I would prefer that it just work without telling you all to install a program like setCPU to select a better governor at boot time.

So I've been doing a lot of research to try and default it to what I want, and since I don't have a solution yet, I have been holding off on a release. Worst case, I may just write a quick app to auto select it at boot time, much like setCPU (except setCPU is $1.99 and the app I give you all will be free). So If I go that route, I'll need a day or two to develop and test the app.

FYI - I've also incorporated overclocking into the kernel, but have not yet activated it yet. Once I release the first release with the functionality above, I'll test the overclocking and release that soon after.

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

No - it does not actually contain the files we need. In order to minimize download time with the updates, the updates are actually patches to existing files. So when the update.zip as downloaded is run, it tries to changes (patch) portions of files on the phone. Take a look in the zip - you will find a bunch of *.p files which are just file fragments.

Hey all, my phone had the gingerbread rooted ODIN install. I just took the FA19 update. Do you need anything dumped from my phone?

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I am no longer root. I tried dd, but it failed.

$ dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/GB/system.rfs
/dev/stl12: cannot open for read: Permission denied