[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

pdx1911

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & 0.3 RC

Could anyone provide an edited build.prop to stop the update notifications on PhoenixROM 0.2? :)

I tried editing myself, but it doesn't seem to work for me. :x

Also, can someone please confirm weather picture messages will send on Boost with PhoenixROM 0.2 I know on this pre-rooted ED23 PDA, picture messaging doesn't send with a forbidden. Wondering if I flash this onepackage, then firehacks rom, then use the edited build.prop, if i will have better luck?

Anyway, I've mirrored Josh4trunks onepackage image on my domain here so we don't loose it. ;)

Code:
[B]http://paradoxsystems.tk/files/android/m580_One_Package.tar[/B]

tarlcab

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Could anyone provide an edited build.prop to stop the update notifications on PhoenixROM 0.2? :)

I tried editing myself, but it doesn't seem to work for me. :x

Also, can someone please confirm weather picture messages will send on Boost with PhoenixROM 0.2 I know on this pre-rooted ED23 PDA, picture messaging doesn't send with a forbidden. Wondering if I flash this onepackage, then firehacks rom, then use the edited build.prop, if i will have better luck?

Anyway, I've mirrored Josh4trunks onepackage image on my domain here so we don't loose it. ;)

Code:
[B]http://paradoxsystems.tk/files/android/m580_One_Package.tar[/B]

Take the time to read previous messages. Page 19 or 20 has a detailed account on how to edit the build.prop. Follow the instructions...

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I tried editing myself, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
For my Sprint Replenish, to eliminate any nagging FA19-update messages from Sprint, I downloaded ES File Explorer, gave it root access, and used it to text-edit the build.prop file based on the video instructions at THIS YouTube link, changing any instances of "EK18" to "FA19". I think there were 3-4 instances that I edited. It was easy, and I haven't been asked to update to FA19. But that may not work for Boost if their most recent update is labeled something other than "FA19", in which case you'd need probably need to change any instances of "EK18" or "FA19" to the name of Boost's latest update.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
For my Sprint Replenish, to eliminate any nagging FA19-update messages from Sprint, I downloaded ES File Explorer, gave it root access, and used it to text-edit the build.prop file based on the video instructions at THIS YouTube link, changing any instances of "EK18" to "FA19". I think there were 3-4 instances that I edited. It was easy, and I haven't been asked to update to FA19. But that may not work for Boost if their most recent update is labeled something other than "FA19", in which case you'd need probably need to change any instances of "EK18" or "FA19" to the name of Boost's latest update.

Boost current update is FB09

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

tarlcab

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I still think its amazing to have a working 2.3 root on Boost mobile. All of their phones now I think are 2.3 (like the Motorola XPRT, a similar phone).

I don't think the XPRT has root, but it does have 2gb internal storage I believe. From what I've seen in the forums, the XPRT is originally a sprint phone that has yet to update to 2.3, though there is an update created for the phone that I've seen, but not official.

The main things I need for my phone include enough internal storage, and pdanet.

Pdanet is a great tethering app that works not just on laptops, but on other mobile devices like any kind of tablets, phones, etc.

One nice thing about pdanet, is that you don't have to be rooted.
On the original boost phone when I got it, pdanet(and yes, I paid for this service) was available to download via the Android market. Now that I have PheoniX 0.2, it is not available (maybe its unavailable on boost now anyways?). Fortunately I had created backups of the apk's for installation, and it is working fine on Pheonix 0.2.

The Replenish only has 130mb of internal storage which is insanely low, thus having root and using something like link2sd is crucial or you will always be limited to how many apps you can install without getting low storage messages.

Reactions: scorpio42lek

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Pdanet is a great tethering app that works not just on laptops, but on other mobile devices like any kind of tablets, phones, etc.
I use FoxFi for WiFi hotspot (tethering). FoxFi doesn't require root. Sprint won't let you download it from the Play Store, but you can download it for free from the developers website, FoxFi.com.

nez43

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

thanks to firehak, drmlook ,shabbypenquin, andnchanted_1 for this fantstic improvement to this phone:D:)

Reactions: tarlcab

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Bad news all, my Replenish crapped out. I no longer have a phone, much less a device to work on. I will be talking with ACS to see what they would like to see done with the ROM.. The last thing I'll be able to do is post the walk through for mounting an SD partition as the /data partition. Work ought to be somewhat slow tomorrow (well..in a few hours, it's past midnight), I will work on compiling everything then.

I'm very sorry to say that I can no longer work on this. Once I hear back from ACS I'll post back anything I hear. Dunno if anyone will take over, I can release my files, or if it remains closed. I really want to thank DMRLook and Shabby for all their work in getting this going with me, it was a great way to introduce me into mods and roms for Android.. :'(

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate the work you did. My phone is also about to crap out. I have the feeling that these things weren't intended to last much more than a year. I'll be pushing it to make it last until my upgrade.

micronot

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

After installing Phoenix.2, I installed Link2SD. I would highly recommend this app. It moves your apps to an ext4 partition on your SD card with a link to it in the internal memory. You can either have it automatically move to SD, or you can choose what you want to move and do so manually. This allowed me to gain an additional 1GB for apps. This, combined with Firehaks Phoenix turns the Replenish into quite the phone for the price.

Also, it was so easy to do with the easy to follow instructions that Firehak provided. There is an easy to follow guide for Link2SD, just do a google search. This really does a great job, no point waiting for .3. Also, follow the above instructions to update the build.prop file so you wont be nagged about running the update.

If you decide to install Phoenix, remember that the boot animation was disabled. So, the first time you boot after installing, the screen will go blank. Just be patient, it will take a couple minutes for the phone to load.

Thank you Firehak, DMRLook and Shabby for making this possible.

Reactions: RazzMaTazz

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I finally found the dump of what I believe to be the working boot.img needed to mount the SD card as your /data partition! If I've learned anything after this whole mess and never having more than a few minutes to work on things, it's to ORGANIZE EVERYTHING. Took me forever to find this thing.. Expect the guide to be finished and posted soon. It'll be here, on the official thread at ACS, and hopefully my website which I've still yet to do anything for..

Reactions: ciscogee

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I tried to put together the guide for using an SD card as the /data partition. Hopefully I found the right boot image and my steps in the pdf are all correct. Head on over to Goo.im Downloads - Browsing firehak to download it. It's been fun, thanks for all the support!

firehak - First off, thanks for all the hard work developing Phoenix ROM and data2ext support. You've really helped turn a sub par phone into something great.

Secondly, would you still happen to have the FA19 modem installer file? I'm completely redoing my current setup, and I'd like to have it for future use. Thanks a lot!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear everyone appreciated it! Yes, I do still have the FA19 modem, though that was the big problem during the 0.3 install. Unless I ran Sprint's OTA, I couldn't install the modem for some reason. So I installed FA19 from stock, then flashed 0.3 minus the modem since it was already installed. I'd be happy to upload it and the OTA, if you'd like.

EDIT: Here's a stock FA19 I didn't know I still had and the EK18 to FA19 OTA!

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing firehak

To use the OTA, rename it to "update.zip" and place it on the root of your sd card, then reboot to recovery. This works with CWM and stock because this is not a custom update. To flash FA19 the manual way, extract FA19.zip and create a tar file with the command below (Yes, this must be done on a Mac/Linux/UNIX machine, unless you for some reason actually installed the tar command on Windows like I did).

Code:
tar -H ustar -c amss arm11boot boot.img mibib oemsbl qcsbl system.img > FA19.tar

Use Odin to flash with the 'One Package' option. I can't remember if this is rooted, but I don't believe it is Don't forget to clear your data partition! If you flash this from PhoeniX 0.2, /cache will ALWAYS fail to mount unless you format /system and /data to ext4 again and re-flash the boot.img that came with 0.2. Stock doesn't support ext4 file systems and I don't have a cache backup! Sorry I don't have a readily available Odin image already ;P

Last edited:

thefrozendog

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
FirehaK and the Android Creative Syndicate
are proud to present to you:

PhoeniX ROM 0.2

Features:
  • Ext4 file system (better performance)
  • Build.prop tweaks
  • Some /system bloat removed
  • Disabled boot animations by default (unless /system/media/bootanimation.zip exists)
  • CWM 5 recovery installed
  • Custom kernel
  • Reboot-able :p

Due to Sprint "disabling" CarrierIQ, the app to disable it on the phone is no longer included. The services still run, but Sprint DOES NOT collect information anymore.

This version is NOT de-odexed. Due to the issues we had before, I have not yet worked it out. Theming comes second to me over performance.

As always, this is not official software and I make no guarantees! I will however help you the best I can provided you follow instructions and clearly post your problem(s).

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Download/extract PhoeniX-ROM.zip from the below links
  • Copy PhoeniX.zip to your sd card
  • Reboot your phone to "download" mode (adb.exe reboot download or hold space + p during boot)
  • Open the included odin
  • Select "One Package" if not already checked in the options area
  • Click the ops button to search for the included "SPHM580.ops"
  • Now click the One Package button to search for "PhoeniX.tar"
  • Click start, and hold U on your phone as soon as it reboots to enter recovery mode (CWM5)
  • Once CWM5 starts, click install from sdcard
  • Choose zip from sdcard
  • Navigate to "PhoeniX.zip"
  • Obviously choose yes to install
  • Sit back and watch the magic, reboot when it finishes.

Phoenix 0.2
Download at ACS:http://forums.acsyndicate.net/showt...0-2-amp-EXT-Data&p=16182&viewfull=1#post16182

I NO LONGER HAVE A REPLENISH, SO I UNFORTUNATELY HAD TO STOP WORKING ON THIS.

As a last effort kind of thing, I tried to put together the guide for using an SD card as the /data partition. Hopefully I found the right boot image and my steps in the pdf are all correct. Head on over to Goo.im Downloads - Browsing firehak to download it.

Credits:
Shabbypenguin - for multiple performance tweaks, CWM5, and putting up with me ;P
dmrlook - help with brainstorming, CWM5, and being awesome

PhoeniX wouldn't exist without their help, so make sure to give them their thanks!

Update: There is a typo when using the "remount" command. It says that it is remounting /dev/stl9 rather than /dev/stl12, but this does not affect it, the command still works. There is a remount script in /sbin/remount and /system/xbin/remount, and I forgot to remove it from sbin. Both scripts do work.

Dont know if anyone even cares but the links dont work. Ive tried following them to ACSyndicate and then to GOO IM and the download gives you a rom that is 238KBs and wont open. Was going to root my daughters phone but everything listed across these websites is a jumbled mess. Would be nice if a mod could actually sort all this out, make a new thread with proper links and simple, exact instructions that work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol