Do phone calls go through the Wi-fi?

1999ws9

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where I am it seems like my phone calls get clearer when I am connected to a router. Am I imagining this or does the phone switch over to VOIP when wifi is connected?

I assume this is true for the internet connection as well?

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
No - the replenish (at least the sprint version) does not use wifi for voice calls. A SIP stack is built into GB fro my understanding, but it is not viable based on how sprint packaged GB. If all goes well, I would eventually like to replace sprint's version of GB with the google one in hopes that we could then do VOIP calls.

1999ws9

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well then I guess it's my imagination. I am surpised though. You would think they would latch on to an IP connection whenever they could to save charges for roaming or cell towers that aren't theirs. Thanks for the follow up. :cool:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well then I guess it's my imagination. I am surpised though. You would think they would latch on to an IP connection whenever they could to save charges for roaming or cell towers that aren't theirs. Thanks for the follow up. :cool:

If you have apps running in the background using data, they do switch over to wifi. So if you have those switching over to wifi you could be freeing up bandwidth for calls. Though, I can't honestly say I know how it works, it's just a guess. But it could still be clearing up because of that.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
When a call in in progress on sprints network, data no longer flows. You can;t browse the web and be on the phone at the same time with sprint (at least with 3G - I don't know about 4G). And yes, once a wifi connection is established, the 3G connection is no longer maintained.