[Guide] How to use Link2SD and save a crapton of space.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm really bad at explaining stuff but I think this is gonna be pretty easy to do.

First off, I have gone from about 45megs free space to over 120 megs free space and it easy as heck to do.

First thing your gonna need to do is install the app Link2SD. It's free and in the market. Find it.

Your SD card should already be formatted with at least 1 ext4 partition and 1 Fat partition. If not, backup your SD card, throw it into recovery and format it these values.

First partition: No more then 1 gig. this will be your app space.
Second: 0..It's for swap and we don't need it.
Third: It's your Fat partition(the one that windows sees) Have it use whatevers left.
fourth: once thats dont, move your sd backup from your computer to your sd card and reboot.

I don't know if you have to pick what EXT you want on there, but I picked EXT4 in the app setup and it's working.

Anyway, after thats all dont. Go ahead and run Link2SD. It'll ask you want partition you want to be mounted for all your apps and stuff. As I said before, IEXT4 and it's working. If you pick one, reboot and then get an error, its the wrong one. You'll have to reboot, it'll tell you when, so just go ahead and reboot.

Now it's time for the space saving. I did this 2 ways. One was to move all my apps and the other was to just link em. I suggest Link. Theres an autolink option that will link all your apps and future app downloads to your sd card, all for except the data from the apps. It's not alot so don't worry.

Once all this is done, you should see a huge increase in free internal storage. If you link everything and your storage still sucks, go into link2sd, hit menu...then I think more or something like that, and hit quick reboot. It dosent restart your phone, just Android.

It takes the app a bit to link all your apps at once, but is well worth it.

I've gotten over 100% free(from 45-120+) and its amazing. I've installed apps and they all link and i'm doing good.

If you have any questions, just post here and I'll try to help.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This is what I have on my phone in data/app

ZkaMr.png

As I type this, I have 119 megs free space. I can get it up to 125 megs free.

1999ws9

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
C&I, It's not clear to me what you are freeing up?

When I check:
"running" I have 90mb used and 285mb free.
"on SD card" I have 1.7gb used and 28gb free. (it's a 32gb card)
"All" is 115mb used and 47mb free.
For internal storage I have 44.5mb available. I assume this is the phone only. If you have 125mb free what was your beginning number and is it the same for all Replenish phones?

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Your freeing up your phone internal. I went from 45megs to between 115 and 125. Make sure you MOVE what can be moved to your sd and LINK what can't. Don't move/link the market or anything to do with themese.

After everything is linked/moved go to quick reboot in link2sd menu runt it, restart your phone, and then check internal storage in either app settings or link2sd.

I'm at work but will try to be more specific and re write this later.
Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

1999ws9

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh, got it. So I basically have the same thing that you started out with as well. That Link2sd sounds like a nice app but the root permission is a bummer. :'(

Is the new free space noticibly faster response or are you getting some other benefit?

Some apps I was able to move to the SD card others had the button grayed out. Is this because they are needed for the OS to run or just the way they were created to not be movable?

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh, got it. So I basically have the same thing that you started out with as well. That Link2sd sounds like a nice app but the root permission is a bummer. :'(

Is the new free space noticibly faster response or are you getting some other benefit?

Some apps I was able to move to the SD card others had the button grayed out. Is this because they are needed for the OS to run or just the way they were created to not be movable?

Disclaimer: I take no responsibilty if you brick your phone. If you chew my butt cause it is bricked, I will laugh in your face.

1. I don't know if you have to have root to use Link2SD, probably so, but it's not hard to get root. Either use the Gingerbread Odin Package ( http://db.tt/jh4xk2l4 ) or the PhoeniX rom ( http://db.tt/8Lwtc42R ). There's instructions included and the same instructions for the PhoeniX rom, I think, can't really remember, work for the rooted stock odin package..Super easy stuff man.

2. I don't really see a faster response to anything, but I do have more free space to install apps and stuff.

3.Not all apps can be moved to SD by the Android OS. You'll have to either use Link2SD or Titanium Backup(Have to have root for Titanium)

What I did:

I'm already rooted so you'll have to flash a rooted rom first.

1: Boot into revocery
adb reboot recovery--from cmd prompt or hold down U when you power the phone on.

2: Do a full whipe from CWM Recovery
Steps:
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
Go to "Advanced"
Wipe Dalvik Cache
Wipe Battery stats

3. Partition SD Card
Make sure you back your sd card up before you do ANYTHING
Click "Partition SD card"
first option-either 512 or 1028
swap-0
fat-the remainder will automatically be used as your Fat partition(the one that mounts to the computer)

Once all that is done.

4.go to "mounts and Storage"
Mount USB Storage
Copy the zip for the Phoenix rom(if you using it, stock is just Odin)

5. go back to cmd prompt
while in recovery, in CMD on your computer, type adb reboot download and that will be where the actual flashing takes place

Some steps arne't necessany, I want say what cause then it'll screw up..lol

After a successful flash:

Install Link2sd http://db.tt/6zqz2HHi
restart your phone---optional
It will come up and ask you about your second partition. If you followed everything in this post, you can select EXT4 and be good.
It's gonna generate a mount script and then auto restart..make take a minute but after the restart, IF THERES NO ERROS, then you start moving the apps and stuff.

Menu-Settings-(click) Auto Link, Make sure everything is checked in Auto Link Settings..Install location set to auto and the 2 options under General are checked.

Suggestions:
If you suddenly run out of space, or Link2SD throws an error about space, open link2sd, Menu-More-Quick Reboot
I moved all my apps to the SD card thru App settings that can be moved, and I LINKED the rest with Link2SD.
Don't link/move anything that is related to a theme or the appearance of your phone. Lock screens, themes, etc,etc
Stuff with widgets CANNOT be MOVED. It can be linked tho however.
Make sure battery is at least half charged before flashing

Conclusion:
I went from 45 megs free all the way up to 125 megs free. Sitting at 94Free/63Used right now. Its a good app, but if you move/delete any crucial system apps, it's liable to crash on ya.
If you want to uninstall any system apps, I'd do it thru adb or Android Commander ( http://db.tt/Z9tQrEVh )...AC is more user friendly but adb is more fun to use IMHO.

Stuff you might need or want:
USB Drivers--x64 only..i dont have the others but there around here somewhere. http://db.tt/02UnCeP9
ICS Messenger app.( http://db.tt/Z4oWQKgM ) Just install it and your good. I pulled the old one as well as the odex file from system/apps with AC and "Push" the new one from /data/app to system/app---do a restart afterwards
ICS File Explorer. http://db.tt/ofMZWsRK just install it and your good.---restart afterwards

OK.............
If I missed anything or anyone has any questions, just ask and I'll try to help. I'd suggest using the PhoeniX rom since it includes Clockwork Mod and everything you need in 1 nice little package.

As stated before. These are the steps I took. You should be ok, ALMOST guaranteed but if it dies, don't blame me

If you have any questions, you can get ahold of my by going into my profile and clicking one of the social media links. I'm available..lol

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You need root.

Its a great app. I'm running an 8 gig card, class 4 with two Primary partitions. I might put music on one half of the micro sd to keep Songbird busy..the other half, I put some memory hog apps and games on

:)

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You need root.

Its a great app. I'm running an 8 gig card, class 4 with two Primary partitions. I might put music on one half of the micro sd to keep Songbird busy..the other half, I put some memory hog apps and games on

:)

Do you....or anyone here for that matter..use Google Music? I'm tired of it downloading music to my SD card. Is there an option or something to make it stop? Lol

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I take no responsibilty if you brick your phone. If you chew my butt cause it is bricked, I will laugh in your face.

LOL :D nice I would have said the same thing. I rooted a friends phone and told them it was possible i might brick it and they said they'd be cool. But the power went out well I was rooting it and I bricked his phone and he flipped out. Should have made him sign a contract!

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
LOL :D nice I would have said the same thing. I rooted a friends phone and told them it was possible i might brick it and they said they'd be cool. But the power went out well I was rooting it and I bricked his phone and he flipped out. Should have made him sign a contract!

I would of..lol

I just got done rooting/hardspl/flash radio/flash rom for my boss's old lady. Tooke me a while cause my boss tried it last night and damn near bricked his phone..lol

mcuevasi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
hey crackers_and_ice, ive been trying to to get the partitioning down for about an hour now and im kind of lost. i followed the second set of instructions that you posted and i understood you all the way until u said

"5. go back to cmd prompt
while in recovery, in CMD on your computer, type adb reboot download and that will be where the actual flashing takes place"

idk if i read it wrong but i went to cmd on my comp and typed in "adb reboot download" but it kept saying that there was no such place.

then i went online on youtube and i learned how to make two primary partitions, one FAT32 and one ext4. but whenever i went on link2SD it said that it couldnt find it. i kept checking with my computer and it said it was there. Can you help me out? also idk if i have corrupted my sd card from so much partitioning and then formatting; last time i tried to partition FAT32 it would just stop and say that it was damaged. anything i can do about that?

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
hey crackers_and_ice, ive been trying to to get the partitioning down for about an hour now and im kind of lost. i followed the second set of instructions that you posted and i understood you all the way until u said

"5. go back to cmd prompt
while in recovery, in CMD on your computer, type adb reboot download and that will be where the actual flashing takes place"

idk if i read it wrong but i went to cmd on my comp and typed in "adb reboot download" but it kept saying that there was no such place.

then i went online on youtube and i learned how to make two primary partitions, one FAT32 and one ext4. but whenever i went on link2SD it said that it couldnt find it. i kept checking with my computer and it said it was there. Can you help me out? also idk if i have corrupted my sd card from so much partitioning and then formatting; last time i tried to partition FAT32 it would just stop and say that it was damaged. anything i can do about that?

Step 5 is where you flash the rom. You can either use the key combo(hold u whilee booting) or adb reboot download but make sure you have all the required adb files on the root of your c drive. You have to use a combo of odin and recovery mode for phoenix and straight odin for the pre rooted gingerbread.

There's instructions in both the rom sub forums.

As far as your sd card...try to partition it in recovery. That's what I did. Use 512 ext and the rest fat. Then flash the rom.

Edit: basic install for this to work
Root
Format sd card 512ext/fat
Full whipe/whipe data/cache/dalvik
Flash rom
Install link2sd
Reboot
Setup to use your ext partition
Reboot
Enjoy

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
When some apps update they download new data that may increase your used space. I would say that is the case since it was only 3mb.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

Eileen Ostrander

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I stumbled across your post while searching for how to use Link2SD as I was speeding up my archos. Or attempting to. Now I think I installed the Link2SD properly. Still seem to have issues with storage. I moved everything over to the SD that I could. But when I go into the settings on the Link2SD, the option to link all apps is not available to me. And when I try to click on the part where it says where you want apps to be downloaded to, it doesn't open up. Is that normal? Thanks for your help.