*Attention...Keytracer Found on Replenish!!!*

nate3378

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I just thought I would take the time to post this, as I feel it is worth an explanation and further research. It has been brought to my attention that many Samsung brand phones come with keytracer installed. I have also heard that it is a part of "TouchWiz", although others who have investigated this have frozen keytracer without any repercussions to touchwiz or to their phone. I honestly don't know what it's purpose is, but I think it needs to be thoroughly researched. Any APP, that has the highest privileges to gather personal data raises many concerns to me. Given the fact that CIQ, and other methods corporations use to "ILLEGALLY" gather our information, it is clear the laws cannot keep up with these technologies. If, these forums can provide any help to smart phone users........................ protection of their privacy must come first!!!

Reactions: ikeywatson

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I too thought it looked and sounded suspicious, so I removed it- no side effects. if you really want to know what it is, decompile it and read through the xml files. I can do it if you cn't but I'll need a copy of the file.

Reactions: nate3378

nate3378

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you TatooPaul! Could you suggest an easy and safe way to remove it? Can I remove it safely by just deleting it with the "Root Browser App"? I would like to know more about it but at this point my main concern is just getting rid of it, and asking questions later :)

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you really think about it, your phone needs a way to put in what your typing.. Sprint removed the CIQ, and nearly all the pre installed have those exact same things. All of it comes together and helps to phone work properly... CIQ was the secuirty update FA19

nate3378

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Seriously??? So what you suggest to everyone here is that having certain apps that happen to contain by default, the highest privileges on our phones, and built into the system are there for our own benefit right??? Is this also the same reasoning you use to explain the thousands of free/paid apps on the market that also by default exercise the highest permissions???I think you should really think about predatory companies that gather personal data for profit. I suggest doing some research instead of blindly putting your faith into these apps and stating your opinions as facts. I think personal data and security should be treated in the highest regard, and that this topic warrants a better and more educated explanation.

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
And all those apps that you took screen shots of are pre installed. They don't contain CIQ, CIQ WAS! Removed with FA19. You kinda have yo have some tracer of a keyboard so your phone can TYPE out what you want. Sprint isn't collecting any of the data, they only have a few phones (Older models that havnt gotten any updates) because those are at there EOL. Keytracers are still on the phone, but its a diffrent tracer. When I first got the update, I posted on forums through my other account saying that CIQ didn't get removed, because there were still the apps that HAD to have "Costs with server", "Can use minutes", "Can see your contacts". Otherwise you wouldn't beable to have a phone that was ABLE to get into those things.

shahram72

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
All these phones have backdoors so the the government/and or corporations can spy on you, and even listen to you. Don't trust them. I personally hate this instrusion of privacy, think it's un-American, but have nothing to hide..Don't do anything illegal or go anywhere I need to hide. Hello spooks!

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I pulled apart and it looks tobe tied to admob so Google can direct ads at your taste, which is annoying.
You can remove it safely by deleting it with any ROOT file browser, and clearing Dalvik Cache with no ill effect to your phone.

And just for the record neither Google or Sprint have been cooperative with Uncle S(c)am. They have both forced the government to procure warrants several times in the past decade before sharing your information (which is pretty limited).

Since several states are now RF tagging license plates I'd worry more about the MANY other ways the government violates the "Bill of Rights". Look at the voting records of your elected officials and vote against them if you don't like how they vote... regardless of which party they are. One party is worse than the other (GOP) but both are guilty, so make informed dicissions and maybe we (the people) can take our country back from corporations and special interest groups.

Reactions: prbajista

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The keytracer application doesn't do what you people think it does...

It's not a trojan, it's not some super-secret data grabber either, considering it sits in plain sight of even the most average user, not hidden like CIQ was. Keytracer.apk is part of Samsung's TouchWiz interface (it only comes on Samsung phones), and it maps where your fingers are so it can help multi-touch functions work correctly.

Anyways, since our phones don't use TouchWiz, you can easily delete Keytracer using Titanium Backup, or any similar application you choose. Deleting it has no negative side effects.