Sprint/Boost two-click root with custom kernel

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
All:
I am now officially releasing part one of a two click root method for both the Sprint and Boost Samsung Replenish phones. To install this custom kernel, you must verify your phone meets the following criteria:

1. You have a Samsung replenish on Sprint and Boost networks.
2. You DO NOT have phoenix ROM installed (phoenix ROM uses the EXT4 file system, and this custom kernel release is for the Samsung RFS file system).
3. You have the most recent update from your carrier. To locate your version, go to settings->About Phone and scroll to "Build Number". Look for "GINGERBREAD.FA19 (sprint) or GINGERBREAD.FB03 (boost). If you don't have either of these, DO NOT INSTALL this kernel.
4. You have the clock-work-mod recovery image installed. If you don't look around this forum and you can find instructions on how to install it.

If you meet the above criteria, you can install my custom kernel as follows:
1. Download the update.zip file (attached below) and save it to the root of your SD card.
2. Reboot into recovery mode. To do so, hold down the "U" key while powering up your phone.
3. Navigate to the "Apply update from SDcard" option. This will automatically install the custom kernel from the update.zip file you copied to your SD card in step one above.
4. Reboot.

You will now have a new splash screen that will confirm you are now using the new kernel.

This kernel allows you to overclock your CPU (with the appropriate app installed - I recommend CPU Cruise Control which you can find on the market - the free version should work just fine with this kernel). It also allows you to select different CPU governors which provide much better battery savings than the stock governor. So basically, you should expect better battery life (some folks have suggested they get a 2x improvement on battery life).
This kernel will also root your phone, however to get full use of being root, you will need to perform some other steps. I will create a one click method to complete these steps and update this post in the not to distant future. Till then, enjoy the longer battery life!

And finally, I'd like to thank my Boost Beta testers (ciscogee and 34) who were willing to test my custom kernel on their phones.

Please address any questions to this post - I typically check often.

Last edited:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey All - here is part two of the "two click kernel install/root". This one click will do the following:
1. Install Superuser.apk to your phone (the most recent version available on the market as of today).
2. Install the su binary
3. Install busybox (a set of linux tools required with superuser permissions to do certain things).

Prior to running, make sure you installed my kernel as per the previous post. This one click relies on having a rooted phone to work properly, and the kernel roots your phone.

To install, do the following:
1. Download the zip file and unzip it to any directory on your PC.
2. Connect your phone to your computer via USB (make sure you have USB debugging enabled).
3. Run the appropriate batch/script file. For windows, its windows.bat. For linux or Mac, it's Linuc_Max.sh

The phone will reboot and you will now have superuser installed properly.

A final note- I could not test this on my phone as I already have full root, so please post success or failure status so others know this works. You will know it was successful if you have the superuser app after the reboot.

A special thanks to Interdpth, Shabbypenguin, Jude and Thomas666 for their original scripts these scripts are based on!

Last edited:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey All - I just uploaded my second zip file to complete this post. Please give it a whirl if interested and report your status back so other know how it works.
Thanks!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you working off of my kernel or some other? On the bright side, since it could not mount, then no harm done.

You might want to adb shell in and type "remount rw" and see what it says. If it seems to mount, then you can try again.

phillupz

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
ok, thanks.

Now if anyone would like to help me with cwm. I found the link to download the .tar file, just don't know what to do with it to get it on my phone...

phillupz

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
i followed the steps for the phoenix rom 0.2 and when i try to install initially it gives me a warning screen asking if i want to install the new OS. I proceed, but it will not install the odin, it gets stuck on the downloading screen.

I understand 0.2 doesnt work for boost phones, i just want the CWM, am i trying to install the wrong thing?

Also when i proceed ahead and try to install your update.zip file from the recovery screen (android system recovery) it tells me
E: signature verification failed
installation aborted.

is this because i dont have cwm properly installed?

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i followed the steps for the phoenix rom 0.2 and when i try to install initially it gives me a warning screen asking if i want to install the new OS. I proceed, but it will not install the odin, it gets stuck on the downloading screen.

I understand 0.2 doesnt work for boost phones, i just want the CWM, am i trying to install the wrong thing?

Also when i proceed ahead and try to install your update.zip file from the recovery screen (android system recovery) it tells me
E: signature verification failed
installation aborted.

is this because i dont have cwm properly installed?

Phoenix works for boost. Not with stock (untampered or compiled) kernel. U need to be in download mode to flash odin files. Unzip the phoenix.zip from the tread. That has the odin files for cwm. I think that's where you went awry.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes - for some reason, the filesystem is not mounting as read/write. Try adb shelling into the phone and type "remount rw". Then, run the script again.

phillupz

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
ciscogee i sent you a PM. hoping you could help me more to get my phone up to speed....?
and me, im a bit of a newbie and this phone isnt as easy as the galaxy..

TattooPaul

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I noticed script said "remout" instead of "remount". Don't know if that's it. Went in and adb pushed each step (Superuser.apk & busybox)

Haven't messed with adb much except to Push apps to the ROM to save space, so not sure how to chmod.

I typed "adb chmod busybox /system/xbin/busybox" and adb took the command without any message error or otherwise.

When I do a root check I still don't have root access. Superuser.apk installed and seems to be functional it asked if I wanted to allow "Root App Delete" to have root access. I tapped yes, and "Root App Delete" did remove several apps from /system/app/.

However "Root Explorer" will not mount RW at any level except SDcard.

Used Both JoeyKrims "Root Check" and JRummys "RootChecker" and both say no Root access.

I will look for the chmod information to see if I did soemthing wrong but look foward to your input.

Spent 5 hours trying to finish this (it's all way too new to me), and I still failed. Reverting back to a Heavily stripped down and deodexed version of Phoenix2 I created (with all props and respect to all of Phoenix's Devs) until this is well worked out and fool proof or as close to fool proof as this stuff gets. At times like these I really miss my Samsung Moment - hundreds of ROMs and it was super easy to work on.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(335536)

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
that was it TattooPaul - thanks for the heads up on the typo. I don't have any windows boxes at home, so I had no way of running the windows batch. The linux one was correct, not that does anyone any good on windows. At any rate, the one click should work now.

If you change moded anything incorrectly, that could explain the lack of root. Also, you can install my other kernel on another post over phoenix rom - they are very similar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000