Sprint/Boost two-click root with custom kernel

swtnss

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
so i did all the steps noted in both post. i have the splash that worked. i did the second step but busybox was not installed. when i opened up root explorer it has the rw there where i am able to delete anything if i wanted to. im guessing im rooted but i wonder if i rebooted would the root go away or is it permanent.

so rebooted and I am 100% rooted. no need for busy box

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much sir... I was about to go crazy with this phone...

But using script didnt work. I had to use command prompt for each step manually... eventually got it to act in my favor.

Last edited:

bickelk09

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Busybox fails to install using dmrlook's script becasue the system partition is full. If you delete 2 or 3 unessential programs then there is enough room and his script will work.

My suggestion is to delete SprintID, SprintZone, and LMI. They are not needed.
To delete them boot into CWM recovery
plug your phone into your computer
goto 'mounts and storage'
select 'mount /system'
open cmd prompt on computer (make sure to have adb installed)
run the following:
Code:
adb shell
cd /system/app
rm SprintID.apk
rm SprintZone.apk
rm LMIRescue.apk
rm LMIIcon.apk
rm LMISecurity.apk
exit
This code is case sensitive so make sure to type it as shown.

Then unmount /system from the CWM menu and restart the phone.
Follow dmrlook's instructions, there should now be enough room on /system to install everything.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for diagnosing the issue with why it does not work for some users. I used it on my phone with no issues but had already deleted bloat. I also used it on my wife's phone also with no issues but again I deleted the sprint bloat. I will try to create a script to delete the bloat and add it to my zip files and give users the option to run it and delete the bloat.

bickelk09

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I also found that it is much more reliable to get /system to mount with read/write permissions from CWM using its built in mounting feature. So I modified your script to be used with the phone in that mode so that "remount rw" is not needed. However now that the script runs in CWM anyways I figured I might as well just bundle it in with the kernel update.zip. So now I have everything (the kernel and rooting) done automatically with the update.zip file. I also have it remove the Sprint bloat before rooting so the busybox installs succesfully. And I updated the versions of Superuser and busybox that get installed.

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I also found that it is much more reliable to get /system to mount with read/write permissions from CWM using its built in mounting feature. So I modified your script to be used with the phone in that mode so that "remount rw" is not needed. However now that the script runs in CWM anyways I figured I might as well just bundle it in with the kernel update.zip. So now I have everything (the kernel and rooting) done automatically with the update.zip file. I also have it remove the Sprint bloat before rooting so the busybox installs succesfully. And I updated the versions of Superuser and busybox that get installed.

please share...

bickelk09

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I had time so I just re-made my update.zip with the kernel and root.

I am interested in what exactly the "rootsetup" binary file that your script was running did though? Just want to know its purpose so that I can decide if it is needed now or maybe if its commands can be run within the script instead of having to bundle the file and run it.

Please get back to me on that so that I can finish my script and package/sign it.

doowkram

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
You should do a factory reset and reinstall your apps. As for rooting, try doing the steps in the batch file manually and let me know what step fails. Also, I am on vacation at the moment so I'll be slow to reply.
I was a little gunshy with my phone, and working a bit more this past week, but I wasn't receiving calls. They were going directly to voicemail.

In doing a factory reset from the phone, I still have the new dmrlook splash, and CWM stayed installed on the phone. It works well.

Not sure if it's installed entirely, or correctly as I think I used the wrong thing with your update.zip and that was my problem. :( I take full responsibility for it. I may try to root again sometime, but maybe when I have spare cash to have a backup phone ;)

Thanks for all your help.

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was a little gunshy with my phone, and working a bit more this past week, but I wasn't receiving calls. They were going directly to voicemail.

In doing a factory reset from the phone, I still have the new dmrlook splash, and CWM stayed installed on the phone. It works well.

Not sure if it's installed entirely, or correctly as I think I used the wrong thing with your update.zip and that was my problem. :( I take full responsibility for it. I may try to root again sometime, but maybe when I have spare cash to have a backup phone ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Doing a factory reset only wipes the /data partion, so the flies that were installed in the system are still there. Use a root checker app to check if you are rooted or not, because you may be.

Drizzzle01

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Flashed this on my wife's phone, but am now receiving random reboots and erratic battery drain. By erratic I mean it power downs frequently and when it reboots it states 1% left. After plugging it in for 5 minutes it lists 30-40% . Not sure how to proceed. Anyone have stock FA19 kernel rooted ?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Creniker

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Alright I got the new splash screen to work, but once I get to the windows batch file it says that I should have root. I installed the drivers for my usb, have debugging enabled, and unmounted the sd card. What should I do to get it to work?

Creniker

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having some major issues with this root, I simply do not understand the instructions, there above my head, and I've spent like 4 hrs working on it now. Is there anyone who would be willing to take the time to help me out step by step with this?

Mr Invisible17

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i need help
i get to to the CWM part where you apply your update.zip and it says its opening the update package then it waits awhile and then goes back to the main CWM menu. i reboot and i dont get the new splash screen
does anyone know what im doing wrong?
Edit: its saying cant open/sacard/update.zip (bad)

EDIT2: it was my 16gb Sdcard, i switched to my 2gb card and it worked
so question: i have been having problems with my 16gb sdcard would formating it help clear the problems?

Oh and btw Thanks alot man! this really helped! iv been looking for a root for a very long time

Last edited:

1999ws9

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I am having some major issues with this root, I simply do not understand the instructions, there above my head, and I've spent like 4 hrs working on it now. Is there anyone who would be willing to take the time to help me out step by step with this?

I'm with Creniker on this. How about a "do over" from beginning to end with a clean sheet for us technically challenged? :D

It's such a nice phone but to be plagued with storage restrictions really takes the beauty away from it.

foxyposhy

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Dear lordy....i cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the cwm! i have the darned .tar file downloaded, but i've looked and looked for just one silly instruction as to how to install. tons of instructions for other phones and oddball devices. i just don't want to get it wrong. point-in-the-right-direction? anyone?

foxyposhy

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
ok nevermind, i figured out how to install cwm. only i didn't know what to select when it gave options after holding down "u" to boot, so i selected reboot lol. everything seems normal. still i have no idea if cwm worked or if i was supposed to get a different screen or whatnot....

ciscogee

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
ok nevermind, i figured out how to install cwm. only i didn't know what to select when it gave options after holding down "u" to boot, so i selected reboot lol. everything seems normal. still i have no idea if cwm worked or if i was supposed to get a different screen or whatnot....

Hold space+U then press power

Or

Plug in phone

Adb shell

#adb reboot recovery

Yyou got ur update.zip on root of sdcard?

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

foxyposhy

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
haha yes. i did all that. update.zip is installed correctly. only problem i'm having now is with the adb commands. i have downloaded adb manager and i realize i need to understand how to use it to continue with this guide. anyone willing to help me figure out adb? i'm very good with instructions so long as they're clear. So far i have done everything else up until step 3. of part 2 where i am told to run the appropriate batch/script file. i have adb manager up, it's downloading updates. (don't know if that is required or not, so i just let it.) anyways...any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781