NANDroid backup?

fencerjared

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I want to create a backup of this device before getting too adventurous with it. I am rooted, and I've tried going into the recovery console (both with ClockWork and holding down u during reboot) to create one, but the only options I get are: reboot now, run updat.zip from sd, wipe data to recover device, and wipe cache. Anybody know how to accomplish what I want?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
yea. make clockworkmod recovery for your phone.. find out the phone specific files, compile it with android_bootable_recovery off cm7 repo. pack it into your recovery and replace the stock one. figure out how to flash it onto the phone..(pray that it boots) once your in clockwormmod feel free to choose nandroid or whatever you may want :D.

see thats not so hard ;)

fencerjared

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Not buying you a beer just yet...

So, can you tell me how/where to start looking for the files, or point me to somewhere that can get me on the right path?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
your best bet would to start pulling stock files off the phone and seeing if you can get odin/heimdall to see it and flash it. with the prevail thats where we are stuck

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So what is preventing you from flashing the prevail? The inability to get into a boot loader? Is there a generic set of instructions on how to create and flash a custom ROM for a phone? I have found a ton on google about specific phones, but none that are generic enough to work for me. How do you all do it - do you get your hands on all of the phones, or do you have access to emulators from the different manufactures (which I doubt they would release).

Now time for what I image is a dumb question for you guys: What are the stock files? And are you saying I actually send my phone to odin/heimdall. Are there any things I could try with my phone that would help you all out?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
none of the usual programs are flashing the prevail (odin/heimdall/redbend_ua/flash_image). no each rom needs to be tailored for the phone. ideally someone with the phone makes a rom. the stock fiules are what everyone has right now, since you guys have no roms its all stock

well here open up terminal emulator (download from the market) and do this
su
dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/factoryreplenish.rfs

connect your phone via usb once its done and upload it to me.. cant promise much but i can at the least get yall started.. if you want to see some happy users check out android forums prevail forums ;) they all love shabbymod :D

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Since I got root access, I changed stuff - deleted sprint APKs I don't want and did some other tweaks to speed up network. Will that mean that if I perform the save of my ROM as you describe above, my ROM won't be as useful for you. Should someone else who has not deleted APKs get the file you need as described above?

And now a dumb question - how are folks able to load your mod onto prevail if you are not yet able to flash the prevail? what am I missing? Thanks!

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone here have a stock replenish with only root access but no other mods. Let me know. If I don't hear from anyone over the next day or two, I'll do my best to revert my phone back to factory defaults to dump the memory as described above. Hopefully I won't have to :D

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey ShabbyPenguin - once I do the following "dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/factoryreplenish.rfs", can I make the ROM myself, or is that too hard to learn?

Is the master bootloader in /ddev/bml1 for all phones, only samsung phones, or just some samsung phones. I assume since that partition is binary, it is most likely just assembly/machine code. So if I were to translate it into the opcodes, would we then be one step closer to getting into bootloader mode and flashing this thing, or am I way of base here?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
nah rom dev isnt that hard actually

bml1 should be boot.bin, and we have bootloader mode unlocked its just called download mode

adb reboot download
and youll be taken to it.. the problem is at least on teh prevail odin sees it but refuses to flash

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Any tips on getting heimdall to work. I upgraded to ubuntu 10.10 (so I had the right version of libusb) and installed heimdall. When I run it, I get the following:
"Setting Up Interface... Failed!"

I can get the phone into download mode, and running lsusb tells me it is there, i.e.:
"Bus 001 Device 047: ID 04e8:6601 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Z100 Mobile Phone"
which interestingly is the same as the captivate.
At any rate, that is where I am stuck. I've played around with the udev rules (file 51-android.rules) but when I add my device to the file, lsusb never returns when the phone is connected via USB. As soon as I unplug the phone, lsusb returns.

Thoughts, hints, things to try?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34