[ACS][ROM] Leaf Rom - 0.2

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Shabbypenguin and the Android Creative Syndicate
are proud to present to you

Leaf Rom

DSHIM.png

Alright lets get to the nitty gritty of it all, this is the thread where all 0.x-1.x versions will be released, as it stands right now this is nothing more then just a glorified stock, but its better then that ;). deodexing the rom allows for easier themeing so i want to see some creative **** start to flow in.. yall dont want me making themes... anyways down to the goods

This is a product designed outside of samsung, i do not have the resources to make sure it is "bug-proof" (apparently they dont either.. but thats another story). as such by installing this software YOU accept responsibility for your actions. if anything does happen i will try my best to assist you, but i cant promise anything. as such i try my very hardest to make sure things work just great before they ever get put out in the public

Changelog:

• - Custom bootanimations (sorry guys my graphics guys didnt have the time to make one for yall's phone.. and rather then putting this off i figured you would find one you liked ;)..)
  • - Maximized Media scanner speeds
  • - Changed out some of teh apps for slightly better apps
  • - removed sprint id and base launcher, included now is go launcher. a feature rich launcher with all sorts of cool things (and themes)
  • - Removed RescueStarter and RescueServer from the phone.

• - Now has the latest in malware protecting (yes even the gingerbread malware apps)
  • - Sped up media scanning
  • - Added GPS tweaks
  • - Added ad blocking hosts file
  • - Enabled ADB on boot
  • - Increased max window manager events to 60 (smoothness increase)
  • - Several other build.prop tweaks
  • - Deodex'd
  • - Zipaligned
  • - Bloat removed
  • - Pre-rooted
  • - Enabled stagefright

Ok look i know yall are getting the update today and all that and so it may seem like this is kinda pointless, but firehak was nice enough to get me a copy of teh update (ill post it here in a min)., but alas its just like teh prevail and its filled with patches.. so that mean i need some brave person on stock to update and snag the base files for me.

now im sure some of you are prolly wondering what Rescue server and rescue starter are. well hidden away on the prevail i came across some interesting code for it, as it turns out its a program developed by logmein for sprint. for anyone unfamiliar with logmein, its a remote access company.

now look i understand there is porlly a 100 ways sprint can access the device and do what they want when they want. my only question is, do they really need such an obvious show of it? its constantly running (dont bother checking "running services tab" using adb shell or terminal emulator type in the following:

pidof RescueStarter

if you get a number then tada... yours is running ;). so back to what i was saying, does sprint really ned this process running in the background? i say nay, phones already have crappy life why have more crap running (hidden at that). all i did for teh rom is remove the binaries, with teh files firehak gave me i should be able to construct a odin tar for yall.

Credits:
Interdpth - For making root possible
ACS - For being a kickass team of like minded devs/themers/people
to all my beta testers for beta testing and risking their phones :D
Rodderik - for teh malware patch
k0nane - for so much help along the way
Firehak - For just being an awesome guy

Last edited:

danielpj1

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] Leaf Rom - 0.1

Hi, first off thanks for the custom ROM. I would love to try it out but I am a bit unsure on how to load it. Would something like ROM Manager from the market place be necessary? All the info I got online seem to point that a new recovery bootloader is needed, which from what I gather in the forums, it can't be done in the Replenish. Is it safe to assume that I would just need to create a Backup with ROM Manager and then load the your ROM using the same app? Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first smartphone...

danielpj1

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Flashed it and it worked like a charm. Now just re-downloading apps and other fun stuff! Thanks for the help and the ROM! Bought you a beer, will keep you posted if anything comes up! :)

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Flashed it and it worked like a charm. Now just re-downloading apps and other fun stuff! Thanks for the help and the ROM! Bought you a beer, will keep you posted if anything comes up! :)

thanks for teh support! :D

as for any issues or requests, im all ears

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for releasing LeafRom! I can confirm it working, and it installed quickly and easily on the first try. When using KMS to root my phone before, I had to manually enter commands, but this was able to run through automatically. I did do the factory wipe and am now re-installing my backups. I'll try to post again to report back on battery usage after I get a full charge. I also noticed the Regular Show ringtone, pretty funny.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Watcha doing over here Shabby? Defected away from the Epic 4g have you?

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Watcha doing over here Shabby? Defected away from the Epic 4g have you?

:O you found me!

i no longer had an epic back in january >.> i am however rocking the nexus s 4g

put out a few things for it tho ;)

whatchu doing on this forum tho?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

:O you found me!

i no longer had an epic back in january >.> i am however rocking the nexus s 4g

put out a few things for it tho ;)

whatchu doing on this forum tho?

I'm an Adviser... Its part of my deal to float around and see where help maybe needed.. You seem to have it covered. k0nane wouldn't be hiding over here with you somewhere now would he? LOL..

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

haha no, after the xda business he retired from public epic makings. hes working on the indulge over at androidforums. his last public rom was srf 1.1.0

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I never got a full charge today, but played around quite a bit. The rom works great. No random force quits or crashes, everything is responsive, the gallery is now instant to load, GPS is also now instant once you enter a destination, it didn't kill my battery either. I played with the camera to record fireworks for a little over an hour (I stopped my phone charging at 50% for this), then used the GPS on the way home for a 20 minute car ride. By the time I got home and plugged it in, my battery said 40%. When I got home to plug the phone in and upload my videos, the "turn on usb storage" option works smoothly again too. It was hanging on stock for over a minute, and most of the time I'd have to let it fail and press the button a second time.

My only issue so far has been that the Youtube app loads everything and starts to load a video, but videos fail every time. Not a big issue to me, epsecially since my younger brother also owns a replenish that I rooted with KMS. I can just copy his stock Youtube if neccessary.

Overall, everything works great and I am no longer frustrated with apps lagging and crashing all day on me. Thank you for taking the time to manage a ROM for a phone you don't even have! If there is anything specific you'd like tested I'd be more than happy to try it out if I can.

EDIT: A "re-flash" of the ROM ended up fixing my Youtube app. I found the website http://uot.dakra.lt/ which lets you upload an apk file to theme your device, and adding the modded apk to the ROM folder and running the script was the easiest way for me to copy the file over. So now everything runs flawlessly, and battery life after finally getting a full charge is great. I changed the standard battery indicator to one that always shows a percentage so I could watch it.

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I never got a full charge today, but played around quite a bit. The rom works great. No random force quits or crashes, everything is responsive, the gallery is now instant to load, GPS is also now instant once you enter a destination, it didn't kill my battery either. I played with the camera to record fireworks for a little over an hour (I stopped my phone charging at 50% for this), then used the GPS on the way home for a 20 minute car ride. By the time I got home and plugged it in, my battery said 40%. When I got home to plug the phone in and upload my videos, the "turn on usb storage" option works smoothly again too. It was hanging on stock for over a minute, and most of the time I'd have to let it fail and press the button a second time.

My only issue so far has been that the Youtube app loads everything and starts to load a video, but videos fail every time. Not a big issue to me, epsecially since my younger brother also owns a replenish that I rooted with KMS. I can just copy his stock Youtube if neccessary.

Overall, everything works great and I am no longer frustrated with apps lagging and crashing all day on me. Thank you for taking the time to manage a ROM for a phone you don't even have! If there is anything specific you'd like tested I'd be more than happy to try it out if I can.

EDIT: A "re-flash" of the ROM ended up fixing my Youtube app. I found the website UOT Kitchen which lets you upload an apk file to theme your device, and adding the modded apk to the ROM folder and running the script was the easiest way for me to copy the file over. So now everything runs flawlessly, and battery life after finally getting a full charge is great. I changed the standard battery indicator to one that always shows a percentage so I could watch it.

yea uot kitchen is indeed nice, shame half the features are for gingerbread only tho :(

but glad your enjoying it

danielpj1

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to report back after some more testing. I agree with firehak, the ROM works great. BT, WIFI, and tethering are fully functional, the GPS is much faster than it used to be, all standard Google apps are working (including youtube). I have not had a single force quit and all the apps I have used are working great

Battery life seems to be much better. I played with the phone and the ROM a lot today and it still has 15% after 14 hours or so. I could have never done that with the stock ROM. My only gripe, and this is an android general thing, is that the status bar battery indicator does not show a percentage. I know I can "fix" this going through UOT kitchen or such, but it would be nice if it could be included in future updates? Not a big deal really :)

Again thanks for taking the time Shabbypenguin, much appreciated!

cc2918

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

anyone nice enough to post exact procedure how to install this ROM under windows 7 64bit(or xp 32bit)?
i dont have much knowledge in flashing in cellphones.. however i do have some background on flashing computer parts >.>
i dont mind learning it.

thanks in advance.

edit: just read through thread and found this..
http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-replenish/99919-acs-rom-leaf-rom-0-1-a.html#post1057584
all I need to do is run batch file while phone is connected to PC?
no driver/special steps needed before flashing? (my phone is brand new.. nothing ever installed)

Last edited:

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Hey CC2918- if you can connect to your phone (it must be in debug mode) via ADB (adb.exe is in the lead rom zp file - use command adb shell) and see the contents of your phone (command ls) then you should have all the drivers you need. I'm not a windows man, so perhaps someone else who uses windows can add more.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

have drivers (the same ones from rooting)
enable usb debugging
connect phone
run .bat file
:)
Pardon my ignorance about the Replenish. Im comming from Web OS
Just a few questions
Does the Rom free up internal memory of the phone ?
Can TelNav be installed without the ID pack?
Can the Flash issue be addressed if it is in fact a problem?:confused:

Once you have the new ROM in place
Is there any reason to use the XPRT over the REPLENISH

Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

So I just discovered this UOT Kitchen thing due to the posts above. I'm waiting for my framework-res.apk to cook right now. When I get it, can I just drop it inside the framework folder of LeafROM, replacing the original one, and re-flash the ROM?

EDIT: Got the zip now, but it came with 3 folders (data, framework, and META-INF). The ROM folders don't have data or META-INF, so what do I do with the stuff in those folders? The data folder contains the boot animation, and the META-INF folder contains some unfamiliar files.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Just did what you are trying to do. I basically edited ShabbyPenguin's script to only delete the framework file and then push it down and reboot. If you are uncomfortable with doing that, then just replace the framework file in Shabby's directory and run his script as is. Either way, you do not need to worry about those other directories.

Now, if you updated the fonts as I did using UOT, then you will need to update the /system/fonts directory as well.

If anyone is interested, I have a framework file that uses the ubuntu font and a battery icon (android guy) with battery status on it that I can share. Just let me know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech