Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to know if there's a way to verify if I have Samsung Knox installed on my s3. I know it came with the 4.3 update but I see no signs of it. Is there a way to verify?

Posted via Android Central App

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Knox

I wanted to know if there's a way to verify if I have Samsung Knox installed on my s3. I know it came with the 4.3 update but I see no signs of it. Is there a way to verify?

Posted via Android Central App

Just go into settings, more, security, device administrators.....you should see knox there....and personally I would uncheck out lol

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Yeah its there but not checked. Think Devs will find a root workaround for Knox?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't look like it's going to be easy. A key point of Knox is to lock the bootloader down and prevent people from circumventing it.

I'm honestly impressed with Knox....even though it's annoying I can see it's usefulness for enterprise solutions. Lol they supposedly worked with the NSA to develop it. Which might make it harder or easier lol..... someone email Mr.Snowden lol he might know?

Probably shouldn't have said that.....might get targeted for investigation......

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm honestly impressed with Knox....even though it's annoying I can see it's usefulness for enterprise solutions. Lol they supposedly worked with the NSA to develop it. Which might make it harder or easier lol..... someone email Mr.Snowden lol he might know?

Probably shouldn't have said that.....might get targeted for investigation......

Type his name 2 more times and see what happens...... Haha!

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Knox is crap.. we shouldve had the option of wanting it since some of us dont use our devices for work... now im screwed out of using custom roms... rooted just fine but limited to what i can do

Send from Mars using Tapatalk Pro

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Knox is crap.. we shouldve had the option of wanting it since some of us dont use our devices for work... now im screwed out of using custom roms... rooted just fine but limited to what i can do

Send from Mars using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. Unless the hacking community figures out a way around Knox, this will be my last Samsung phone.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Yep. Unless the hacking community figures out a way around Knox, this will be my last Samsung phone.

They will have it soon. I know cnexus has a 4.3 stock rom out. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't have knox in it.

sent from a GS3 gone Wicked

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

They will have it soon. I know cnexus has a 4.3 stock rom out. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't have knox in it.

Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.

They are also working on way to take care of that also. Not sure if it is working yet.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site

They will get around it, the factory had to have left a back door. I know they didn't lock themselves out... only a matter of time before it's exposed & exploited! Thats what I love about this community, mostly self taught users cranking out better faster roms than the people who get paid to do it. :p

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

The back door is there for the NSA. ;)

Lol, I love how paranoid everybody is about that.. I can kind of understand the KNOX but they shouldn't have put it in the bootloader... or given the consumers the option of installing a KNOX loaded version or none KNOX loaded version...

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

I am like another poster here, it should have been an option. I have never used or do plan on using my personal phone for company use....PERIOD!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Not sure. I don't see it in settings any more. I just know that before I was rooted and Knox stopped Superuser from running.

Juan_Ponce_de_Leon

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

While I haven't customized this phone beyond stock, I know I've always wanted to - and that's one of the main reasons why I choose Android.

I'm stuck trying to figure out what should be my next move to see me through the remaining life of this phone: update OTA and be done with it? or take the plunge with a custom ROM? Decisions, decisions.

But for now, the update notifications are nagging me constantly. Any suggestons? I'm looking for a few good 'If I was you, I'd...'
thanks! ;D

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I can't really speak for you, but if I were me, but with a stock phone.....

I would not run the OTA. We know the Knox bootloader limits your future options (although it has now been successfully rooted), increases the risk of bricking your phone if you try to get around it, and may not ever be bypassed.

I would follow Skunkape's root thread to root and install a custom recovery (NOT custom ROM). This keeps your options open. "You can keep your current stock ROM and eliminate the nags (I think). You can install the stock, rooted 4.3 ROM, install a custom ROM in the future if you choose, go back to 4.1.2 if you decide you don't like 4.3, install Xposed and be able to do lot's of customizations easily and safely. You could even revert to stock in the future and run the OTA then if there's a compelling reason to.

But once you run the OTA your options become more limited.