Sprint Galaxy S3 - Knox

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Knox

For me personally all it has done is confuse the crap out of me..:)

2 days ago without knowing about the Knox security I went ahead and updated to 4.3 through kies...I was running MOAR Rom .
Then after trying to root it I found it had this Knox thing...
I have searched all over different forums and come to the conclusion that people are saying "No you cannot root with Knox installed" "yes you can root" , not to mention the Brick word like a million times..
Can someone tell me, Can I root my phone now that I updated to 4.3 through Keis? And can you include a link if it is possible ?
I am using the Virgin Mobile S3 SPH-L170.

Thanks.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

A number of people have successfully rooted 4.3 using this process: [SPH-L710] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers I don't know if that supports the Virgin mobile version or not, so you should probably read that thread, and ask there if it's not clear.

After you're done rootng, go to the play store and update SuperSU, or you'll apparently have a number of glitches.

And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.

etrash

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question - am new to the forum. Made the mistake of upgrading to 4.3 on my sg3 T-999 via Kies when I knew that I would have to eventually unlock this phone for use on another carrier - and it appears the super easy unlocking method afforded previous version users is now no longer available. Ended up here thinking that I would now have to root my phone in order to unlock it... Could somebody point me to a set of directions (if any) to unlock this phone that now has BigBrother Knox lording over it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

it appears the super easy unlocking method afforded previous version users is now no longer available
Are you saying that you can no longer just call the carrier and ask them to unlock the phone for you?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Lol, I love how paranoid everybody is about that.. I can kind of understand the KNOX but they shouldn't have put it in the bootloader... or given the consumers the option of installing a KNOX loaded version or none KNOX loaded version...

It's not paranoia. It's been reported that Samsung actually worked with NSA while developing Knox. It would be silly to think access for the NSA isn't built in.

andyistic

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but that only works if you're flashing it on a phone that doesn't already have the Knox bootloader installed. Once Samsung starts shipping new phones with 4.3 pre-installed, or if you've applied the OTA, the cnexus ROM won't remove Knox from the bootloader, and you'll be stuck with the stock recovery, and the stock ROM.
I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, and I updated to Android 4.3
It placed the stock recover on the cell.

I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

So at this point, I don't know what Knox does on this particular cell phone.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

I then went to Download Mode, and installed Clockwork Custom Recovery via Odin, and it works fine.
I can even install a custom ROM like JellyBomb if I want to, but that would bring me down to Android 4.1.2

I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

andyistic

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

I have heard you can do that but you cannot odin back to a pre 4.3 ROM without permanently bricking your phone. However, even though you can root and install a custom recovery, you can never get rid of the knox bootloader, which records that you have flashed something and this voids your warranty on the phone. I read where somebody tried to restore a nandroid to his pre upgrade setup (to get around the odin method), but he found out knox is still there, hidden but still there... and active.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
If that's true, then Download Mode would show:
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0X0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1

... along with the ODIN MODE, PRODUCT NAME, etc.

Mine does not have either of the KNOX lines in it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Yes, CWM and TWRP have been updated and now work with 4.3. At the time I wrote, what I said was true. And what I said about the bootloader is still true.

Macattaq

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Just a thought, but perhaps we could start an online petition asking Samsung to make KNOX optional, or have an on/off toggle. Get enough people, and maybe Samsung might actually do something for us.

rimvydukas

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

And note that the one absolute No No, don't even think about it, after loading the factory 4.3 image, is never use Odin to try to load a pre 4.3ROM. It WILL brick your phone.

I was with factory 4.3 image on my Galaxy Note 2 which I got via OTA. Can you explain how was I able to downgrade to stock 4.1.1 using odin then? I used 3.07 version for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech