[KERNEL] [GUIDE] Root Your Stratosphere! :-)

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Knight, now that you know how to compile a kernel from source, how difficult is it to compile a complete AOSP ROM? Do you think porting ICS or cyanogen is a goal within reach? Can you point me to the info/guides you used to learn how to compile a kernel? It took but a day to get ICS onto the Nexus S which is the same hardware. I really want to try building an AOSP ROM. I hate the samsung modifications. I just want pure android!

There's guides all over the place for building Android, even the official SDK has a small guide. As for ROM'ing this phone: Not yet. We don't have a recovery yet. On top of that we need to preserve the stock recovery somehow (either leaving it on and using a bootstrap-style recovery or using a replacement recovery with the ability to set back to stock). Right now we only have the door open to these things via root, but we don't have them yet. However, I'm sure the Charge's recovery can be used, I just wouldn't flash it until someone more daring is willing to risk it.

Essentially what I'm saying is go out and learn to port/build versions of Android now while we work out the details of recovery and RTS (Return To Stock). You can port a Charge ROM over to this phone as practice if you'd like.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
There's guides all over the place for building Android, even the official SDK has a small guide. As for ROM'ing this phone: Not yet. We don't have a recovery yet. On top of that we need to preserve the stock recovery somehow (either leaving it on and using a bootstrap-style recovery or using a replacement recovery with the ability to set back to stock). Right now we only have the door open to these things via root, but we don't have them yet. However, I'm sure the Charge's recovery can be used, I just wouldn't flash it until someone more daring is willing to risk it.

Essentially what I'm saying is go out and learn to port/build versions of Android now while we work out the details of recovery and RTS (Return To Stock). You can port a Charge ROM over to this phone as practice if you'd like.

I just set up an Ubuntu virtual machine last night on my quad-core box, so that should make it easier for me to update my kernel. Next thing on my list is recovery. It's been suggested to me to try the Charge recovery since the partition set up is the same, so I am going to try just that.

Also, I am working on putting together a flashable odin package for full recovery (original non-rooted kernel, unmodified system, partition table, etc.)

As for CM7, I don't think we'll see anything yet until the Charge CM7 is complete... and they have most of it working except the bluetooth and cell radio (the 4G RIL has to be reverse-engineered). Once they get CM7, we'll get CM7. However, I have a feeling that it will be put into overdrive once the Galaxy Nexus comes out cause it has 4G and you know CM7 will jump on that...

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Once we get a solid port we can use the framework from that for most other AOSP-based ROM's to get the softkeys and lights working. I say we wait for CM9 TBH.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey KC, how's the recovery coming along?

I haven't worked on it much, as I have been futzing around with auto-root that is too stubborn to work...

One thing I did learn in the process... there is no 'cp' command in the Android toolbox. Who knew? Apparently you have to use 'cat' or install busybox to copy files.

I have been studying how CWM boots on the Charge and working on trying that on my phone, but haven't put the plan in action yet. I will soon though, I hope.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the Charge version of CWM to start, but only by manually invoking it via adb once recovery "boots". I'm not sure why it won't automatically launch, but it seems to related to the fact that it can't modify the root filesystem by the time it gets to the line to launch it in recovery.rc.

I'll have to chat with the Charge devs and see if they can shed some light on this. Should be a simple thing I'm missing.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I too appreciate your effort to get this phone properly rooted and ROMed. I want to put A proper Vanilla version of Android on (my wife) stratosphere to eliminate the bugs she has encountered and hopefully improve her battery life.

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I got the Charge version of CWM to start, but only by manually invoking it via adb once recovery "boots". I'm not sure why it won't automatically launch, but it seems to related to the fact that it can't modify the root filesystem by the time it gets to the line to launch it in recovery.rc.

I'll have to chat with the Charge devs and see if they can shed some light on this. Should be a simple thing I'm missing.

Did the Charge guys help out or is this pretty much done until you can get some help?

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Did the Charge guys help out or is this pretty much done until you can get some help?

Actually, I've been too busy to get back into it lately... that's what a promotion at work does to you, but I'm not complaining about more money. :p

As soon as I get some time, I'm gonna jump back into it, I promise. It just got pushed down on my list of priorities.

luckyluciano001

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone as described above. I have removed the bloatware using Titanium Back Up that I don't want but I can't enable wifi tether or barnacle. On both I get an ad-hoc issue any help. This is my second droid device I have modded I had the incredible modded with cyanogen 7. Thanks.

ezetroc

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Did the image flash ok but now I can't see the device after entering the adb devices command. I get "List of devices attached" but no device listed. Any Ideas?

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Did the image flash ok but now I can't see the device after entering the adb devices command. I get "List of devices attached" but no device listed. Any Ideas?

Home -> settings -> applications -> USB debugging on

I rooted my phone as described above. I have removed the bloatware using Titanium Back Up that I don't want but I can't enable wifi tether or barnacle. On both I get an ad-hoc issue any help. This is my second droid device I have modded I had the incredible modded with cyanogen 7. Thanks.

On my Stratosphere, Barnacle will work with WEP encryption and all. It throws an ad-hoc error but it still works fine.

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck here if anyone can help me >.<
I have everything all in one folder.
I did: cd C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32\
> Superuser.apk
A bunch of stuff would pop up relating to it
> heimdall detect
invalid command blah blah blah.

However, I missed that I needed Android SDK, so I'm dl and installing that now. It seems to have an endless number of things it needs to additionally install as well so it's taking a while but hopefully with a fresh mind this will go much smoother than last night.

I got it detected now, I it took a little bit of everything, but now when I type the flash command...

C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32>heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
Glass Echidna - Software down under.

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
Donate – Glass Echidna

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

Hmmm?:\

Despite adding the directory in the Path under system variables, when I attempt "adb devices" I just get invalid command error.