State Of The Strat (Please Read First) [Updated 12/21/11]

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: State Of The Strat (Please Read First) [Updated 12/15/11]

Yeah, I've always seen xda as uptight and full of themselves. Some of their guidelines and rules are right out, and their focus on devices only rich people can afford gets rather annoying. Not everyone can afford (or even want) the most bleeding edge device.

Anyway, I have been trying to keep most of my development work posted over at RootzWiki. It seems like they understand hacking and development a bit more than xda does. They do it for the sake of doing it.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: State Of The Strat (Please Read First) [Updated 12/15/11]

I've never rooted so I have no idea how to do it. I can install a BlackBerry OS any day of the week because that became second hand to me, but for rooting? I'm out of my element.

Right now, what is the advantage of rooting a Strat besides getting rid of bloatware? If it's only the bloatware (like that stupid Blockbuster app), how much better does the phone run without it, or is the difference negligible?

I'm happy with my phone as-is, so it's not like I hate it or have an issue. But I also don't want to miss out on making it 10 times better, either. That, and I spend too much time playing Angry Birds and I'd hate to lose my progress of three-starring every accessible board in AB Seasons.

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I am having a fit trying to root this thing. It's extra frustrating because I've always been computer savvy, and this is just not working for me. Following the root instructions.... I try the command "device detect" and just get an invalid command response. If I could get someone on a live chat or email to talk me through it, that'd be a big help. Let me know. I'm off to bed but should be up in 8 hours.

Dubbman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I recommend downloading my root folder in the root thread, extracting to the C drive, plugging your phone directly into the computer (no hubs) and doing this:

Windows logo key + r > cmd (enter key after that) > cd C:/root > heimdall device detect

Be sure to follow the instructions to the T. It seems you were missing the heimdall command.

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have everything all in one folder.
I did: cd C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32\
> Superuser.apk
A bunch of stuff would pop up relating to it
> heimdall detect
invalid command blah blah blah.

However, I missed that I needed Android SDK, so I'm dl and installing that now. It seems to have an endless number of things it needs to additionally install as well so it's taking a while but hopefully with a fresh mind this will go much smoother than last night.

I got it detected now, I it took a little bit of everything, but now when I type the flash command...

C:\MFF Downloads\heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32>heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

Hmmm?:\

Despite adding the directory in the Path under system variables, when I attempt "adb devices" I just get invalid command error.

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If I still have my Stratosphere in january, I'm giving this a go, as the phone's become rock solid seemingly out of nowhere over the past few weeks.

I just gotta get over the fear of it acting up the moment I start doing stuff to it! :p:rolleyes:

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If I still have my Stratosphere in january, I'm giving this a go, as the phone's become rock solid seemingly out of nowhere over the past few weeks.

I just gotta get over the fear of it acting up the moment I start doing stuff to it! :p:rolleyes:

I'd just wait a couple weeks for any problems to appear first. My first one lasted a week, got stuck in a boot loop outta nowhere, so I warrantied it out 6 days old.

matthisey

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
When I try to run the adb devices it returns list of devices with nothing listed under it. I cannot seem to figure out why it does not detect the phone. Debugging is on and the kernel was sucessful. Any help will be appreciated.