New Here! AOL Sync Issue

robertpg

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post and too bad it has to do with an issue, but I am otherwise happy with the phone.

I am having issues syncing my AOL account on my phone. If I read or delete on the phone it does not sync with my mail when I check online, and the other way around. Also, my AOL folders do not show up on the stratosphere and if I move something into a folder online, then it shows up as 2 identical emails on the phone. Finally, when I set my sync preferences, they do not always save and I have to go back and re-edit them.

I have 2 AOL accounts on the phone, but only one is primarily used.

Anyone else having similar issues. My wife has the same phone and she does not have these issues with her Yahoo email.

Thanks for any info.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
People still use AOL? :eek:

Kidding!

Sounds like the account isn't programmed to interface with AOLs servers as well as Yahoo's or Google's does. Does the app specifically say it will support the folders?

robertpg

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response,

It has a folders button, but it only gives me basic folders like sent, inbox, trash, drafts and outbox, but nothing else. It does not even give me a general saved folder.

I previously had a LG Ally, and everything synced up, and all my folders were available.

I could live without the folders, but having to delete everything twice is annoying.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking for the thread jerry wrote but basically gmail gets your aol mail all in app

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Nansm

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my phone to a Samsung Stratosphere (formerly owned a Motorola Droid A956) and had the same issue. I think I have an answer for you. Under my AOL account settings, I have my peak /off peak schedule set for 5 minutes, my peak start time at 00:00, and peak end time set to 23:59. With just those settings, it still was not syncing to my online e-mails. I then went into Back Up Assistant (main menu-applications-backup assistant) and enabled Auto-Sync. my e-mails on my cell are now in sync with my online e-mails. Evne though I delete my e-mails in the trash folder on my cell, they still show up in the trash folder online--it did that with my Motorola Droid as well--but those e-mails are easy enough to delete. On my Motorola Droid I used to have the synce set to 'push' but it doesn't seem to sync correctly with the Stratosphere. hope this helps...if you find an easier way let me know. Nan

RogerL47

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with AOL and samsung stratosphere. Tried the recommendation from Nansm but it did not change the problem.

Still looking for a solution

lpearle

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I think I have it figured out - it's in the setup of the email account and the server settings.

To set up a screenname / email address:

Main menu
Applications
Email
Menu
Accounts
Click add account
Select Others, not AOL
Enter email address and password

Here's the important part - choose the manual setup, not next. This will take you to incoming server settings. It should fill the settings automatically - IMAP / [email address]/ imap.aol.com / 143 / None

Hit next.

This is the outgoing server settings - again, auto filled - smtp.aol.com / 587 / None

Hit next. Then you customize the sync settings, name the account, choose your display name, and then hit Done. In Email, you can tailor signature settings, etc.

The key is the manual setup and having incoming and outgoing settings right - this fixes the trash syncing, allows folders to be displayed, etc.

I came over from an HTC Incredible 2 (Stratosphere was the replacement - charging jack problems triggered a warranty replacement).

Hope this helps - excuse the detail - I'm an accountant - what would you expect? :)

Reactions: sarita227

sarita227

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
lpearle - you are my hero! I registered on this site just so that I could tell you that!

I was having the same problem after the ICS upgrade yesterday and even calling Verizon was futile. All they would say was that it is an ongoing problem with the AOL server and that until AOL fixes the problem, I'd have to use a third party app to access AOL mail.

I just followed your step-by-step instructions above and lo and behold, it works again!:D

KWWalker

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Not being able to get my emails is driving me crazy, not being able to get an answer is making me mad! I was even sent a new phone, Verizon and Moto said my new phone was defective.

I tried doing what you said and I have a few ?'s

What is 143 / None? And where does it go/
Also 587 / None?

Sorry, I am not really up to date on all this phone stuff, I just want my emails to push through

Thanks for your help

jma821

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
:D:D:D
I think I have it figured out - it's in the setup of the email account and the server settings.

To set up a screenname / email address:

Main menu
Applications
Email
Menu
Accounts
Click add account
Select Others, not AOL
Enter email address and password

Here's the important part - choose the manual setup, not next. This will take you to incoming server settings. It should fill the settings automatically - IMAP / [email address]/ imap.aol.com / 143 / None

Hit next.

This is the outgoing server settings - again, auto filled - smtp.aol.com / 587 / None

Hit next. Then you customize the sync settings, name the account, choose your display name, and then hit Done. In Email, you can tailor signature settings, etc.

The key is the manual setup and having incoming and outgoing settings right - this fixes the trash syncing, allows folders to be displayed, etc.

I came over from an HTC Incredible 2 (Stratosphere was the replacement - charging jack problems triggered a warranty replacement).

Hope this helps - excuse the detail - I'm an accountant - what would you expect? :)

THANK YOU Ipearle! I've had my Motorola Droid 4 for about 2 months. I purchased it so that I can receive emails as they came in, but couldn't get it to work until I followed your instructions. Thanks again. :D

ronnie49

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I was having a problem deleting mail from my AOL accounts on my Samsung stratosphere. If I deleted them on my phone, they were deleted off of my pc, but if I deleted them off of my pc they remained on my phone. I tried contacting Samsung and Verizon, but I was told that the problem was with AOL and not my phone. I found a web site that let me get help with e-mail on AOL. I followed the instructions and it works perfectly. The key was to delete the accounts on my Samsung and reinstall them manually. Don't choose AOL when setting up a new account. You need to choose other and then when it asks for your username and password use your AOL ones. The important thing is to check install manually when given that option that way you can change your settings to set the AOL account up correctly. I am going to include the letter I got from AOL because it gives you the steps to follow. The important part of the reply is below.

we recommend that you use IMAP settings to access your email account so that a copy is retained on AOL's server and that any changes you make on one device (computer, laptop, iPad, etc.) will be mirrored by the rest. For your reference, below are our recommended settings when using different email applications:
IMAP Username: YourUsername@aol.com
Incoming Mail Server: imap.aol.com (Use port 143 for standard or 993 for SSL connections)
SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aol.com Set the port to 587
SMTP Username: YourUsername@aol.com
SMTP Password: password you use to login to Mail
For a secure connection, check the SSL option for IMAP/POP and TLS for SMTP in your mail program.

I used the SSL and TLS option, not the standard. The port settings will occur automatically.
I hope this works for you.

kimbleeann

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: AOL Sync Issue

Hey Everybody--Thanks for the good tips. But leave it to me to still not be able to get my AOL mail. It was working perfectly until last weekend. No idea what happened folks at Straight Talk can't help nor can folks at AOL. Phone is a HUWAI (I think that is how it is spelled) Can anyone help me?

Buddy-Maile Lowery

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I did everything to load an AOL account using the other option. However, when I hit next at the end it comes up with username or password incorrect and I know they are correct???

Michele Rowe

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Just tried the suggestion from lpearle and will see if this works. I have a good feeling because on the incoming server settings the password was prefilled (as you mentioned, all of the info on this page was prefilled) and when I hit next on this page I immediately got an error saying "unable to log in". I updated the password here and hit next and was able to continue on through the manual setup. So I'm guessing that's where my issue was. Thanks for this info! I'm hopeful this is going to solve it for me!

Last edited:

Galaxy S5 User

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I followed your instructions, mostly. My phone is a little different. And at first I didn't think it worked. I deleted an email on AOL on my phone and then watched my AOL screen on my laptop. The message didn't delete. I was disappointed. Hang it, dang it. But then my light bulb came on. I refreshed the screen, and the message I deleted on my phone vanished! YAY!

Things I learned. First, I had to delete the AOL account on my phone.
Then I followed your instructions but kept the original port number. My phone would not connect with AOL.

SO I ERASED THAT PORT NUMBER! Then I tried the one you gave. But as I moved on through, my phone automatically changed the number for me.

Also, I came to a screen asking for times--I think for my phone to sync with AOL. I selected Automatic Push, or something like that. All I know is, it worked. Messages deleted on my phone are now deleted from my computer.

I just now erased a message on my laptop on AOL. IT DIDNT GO AWAY ON MY PHONE! This time, my light came on faster. I refreshed my phone screen, and the message disappeared.

Thank you so much! I have lived with a 4s iPhone for two years that could only sync with my computer when attached by cord to a USB port and do it through iTunes. What a pain in the neck that was. I could erase messages forever on the phone and have hundreds on my AOL account.

Now I'm off to grab my husband's new Galaxy to sync his to AOL. WHAT A TIMESAVER!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze