Google Calendar reminder time changes not syncing to phone

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to this forum. I've had a Stratosphere from Verizon for two months, running Android 2.3. I have set the phone to sync with my Google Calendar online. I have checked and double checked the sync settings in the Calendar app on the phone. They are correct, and the phone generally syncs to Google Calendar events correctly.

Except for one thing: When I edit an event in Google Calendar online and make no change to it other than the time when the reminder is to occur (changing, say, from 4 hours to 1 hour), that change is not synced to my phone. All other types of edits are properly synced, but not these. This has caused me to miss at least one important appointment.

I don't think the problem is on Google's end. I suspect that it must be either an issue with the Android 2.3 OS itself (unlikely, since other Android users do not report this problem); or with the Samsung Stratosphere's implementation of the OS; or with the phone's default Calendar app. Somehow a sync that includes only a change in reminder time is not being processed on the phone.

Is anyone else having this problem with this phone, or has anyone else heard of it? Does anyone know of a way to fix it?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've also got an S4 running Jelly Bean (4.2.2) now, and I'm using the excellent Business Calendar rather than the stock app. I just tested, and the situation remains as before: editing an event in Google Calendar online and making no other change than the reminder time results in a change in the online calendar that is not synced to the phone. The reverse is not the case: a change to the reminder time and nothing else on the phone is synced to Google Calendar online.

This leads me to suspect that the problem is in fact with Google (big surprise, eh?), since my phone, OS version, and calendar app have all changed and the problem remains the same. My guess is that a change to reminder time only is, for some reason, not pushed out as a sync after it is saved. It belongs on the long list of Google services with problems that are well known but never get fixed.

Yes, truly well known. Check out this thread, issue #2590 from the Google Android Open Source Project Issue Tracker, first posted May 6, 2009: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2590!

When I need to change an appointment reminder time in Google, I now resort to the kludge of making some other minor edit, which will cause everything, including the reminder change, to be synced. It's annoying to have to do that, but at least it will make the sync happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac