Phone randomly powering off, not rebooting

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. My wife's phone will randomly turn off during the night. It seems to have started when we installed wireless tethering apps and leave the hotspot turned on during the night. The phone does not reboot, it turns off completly.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. My wife's phone will randomly turn off during the night. It seems to have started when we installed wireless tethering apps and leave the hotspot turned on during the night. The phone does not reboot, it turns off completly.
That's a new one to me... turning off is usually hardware related though but since it seemed to start when an app was installed, uninstall it and see what happens. For WiFi Tethering I use FoxFi and haven't had any problems.

You could also install Android SDK, turn USB debugging on in your phone, then use adb to capture the logcat at night and see why it's turning off... Plug phone into USB on computer, wait for adb icon to show in status bar (little bug), open a CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\ directory (by default, or add to your Path environment variable to execute from anywhere) and execute this command "adb logcat > logfile.txt" and then just let it sit and charge overnight... all logcat info will be logged to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\logfile.txt and if it turns off, you should be able to determine from that information WHAT was shutting it down if it's a software issue. If the log output just stops suddenly with no apparent shutdown, then it's probably a hardware/battery issue. Note that the Stratosphere will shutdown if it overheats, or at least mine did one when I left it in the car in the sun so I am assuming that's what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21