First software update coming soon

jagslap

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
hello all! this is my 1st post.

i just did the update last night. i am at 2.3.6
since then, com.android.setting crashes when i try to open usb settings. i definitely need this to mount the phone to my computer.

i think it also crashes when i plug into usb (when it wants to ask what kind of connection to make.) i cant test that now because other than charging, it isn't reacting when i plug it into usb now.

anyone have insight on this problem?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
hello all! this is my 1st post.

i just did the update last night. i am at 2.3.6
since then, com.android.setting crashes when i try to open usb settings. i definitely need this to mount the phone to my computer.

i think it also crashes when i plug into usb (when it wants to ask what kind of connection to make.) i cant test that now because other than charging, it isn't reacting when i plug it into usb now.

anyone have insight on this problem?
You are definitely not alone. This issue was raised on the Verizon forums at https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/781362. Bascially, I think you have to do a factory reset.

Prior to doing that, here's another post (within a long thread dealing with this issue) that suggests a temporary fix: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/862342#862342

The update has appeared on my phone, and I'm going to install it in just a bit. I am so looking forward to it! lol

explodingmachine

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I envy all of you who haven't received the update. I have not seen a single benefit yet for this update. The puzzle unlock screen is gone, the font when typing a text message is gigantic, annoying callback numbers are displayed in text messages, and it actually takes a while to figure out how to answer a phone call. I even contacted tech support asking them if I can uninstall the update, but they said it is impossible. Nice work, Samsung.

kbuno50

May 19, 2012
Visit site
@everyone with callback numbers
Go into messaging, go into the menu, scroll down, and disable callback. That should work.

In other news, sometimes my phone crashes and goes into a bootloop for a few minutes. Factory reset or replace phone?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't do a lot of texting and I used the swipe/"Glass" unlock rather than puzzle piece anyway. But I have to say that I am still trying to figure out what this update fixed that was actually broken, along with breaking things that lots of people were happy with.

BTW, we are not the first to lose our puzzle pieces: Droid Charge users had them taken away in an update in March, so I guess it's a universal phenomenon: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/798198#798198.

ldragon76

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I envy all of you who haven't received the update. I have not seen a single benefit yet for this update. The puzzle unlock screen is gone, the font when typing a text message is gigantic, annoying callback numbers are displayed in text messages, and it actually takes a while to figure out how to answer a phone call. I even contacted tech support asking them if I can uninstall the update, but they said it is impossible. Nice work, Samsung.

Yea..I'm right there with ya...

Scrolling wallpaper is gone too..I know not everyone will care about such a thing, but I still feel like an update just took away functionality unnecessarily.

benhath

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I just did that, restored everything, but the default browser cannot connect to anything, (Firefox and everything else connect fine), getting out-of-memory errors
on a few other things, rather not do another factory reset.

Sounds like a factory reset is in order... :(

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just did that, restored everything, but the default browser cannot connect to anything, (Firefox and everything else connect fine), getting out-of-memory errors
on a few other things, rather not do another factory reset.
Did it have any problems before restoring anything? If it did, then it I would do a second factory default, preferably in recovery, and try one more time. If the problems still persists, then you most likely need to get a warranty replacement.

benhath

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes it did work before restore, but I'm not gonna go through another factory reset anytime soon. Everything including Firefox works fine, so I just parked the icon for the stock browser off in a mostly unused page. If there is anything I can do short of another factory reset, I'll consider it, but just that browser not working doesn't justify it to me.
Thanks

Did it have any problems before restoring anything? If it did, then it I would do a second factory default, preferably in recovery, and try one more time. If the problems still persists, then you most likely need to get a warranty replacement.

benhath

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Found it! (default browser not working) In another post in a different forum it was suggested that the proxy field be checked, and sure enough I found "WIFI_Sleep_Policy" in that field. I cleared it and all is well, now. Might also explain why I couldn't connect to a friend's WIFI even with the WPS feature.