Stratosphere 2?

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone hear any new news on the release date of the Stratosphere 2?

It was rumored to be coming by the end of September, but that obviously hasn't happened.

My wife is due for an upgrade, and wants to stay with a keyboard phone.............so it's either the Droid 4 or the Stratosphere (2 hopefully).

Steve

nyerinca

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got the same need for information. My Droid2 Global is due for retirement. Any updates on the Stratosphere2 would be appreciated.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't even know such a thing was coming. Let's hope that the new phone won't have the problems of the recent update!

Two sources from a couple of months ago suggest an appearance basically by the end of the year: here and here. Both of these indicate Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich as the OS, and the second suggests a slightly larger screen. A more recent post here suggests the same size screen, and has a few other details.

Last edited:

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
One post about it last month said it was going to be releases by the end of September, but that obviously didn't happen.

My wife is due for an upgrade this weekend, but she'll hold off for a bit if I knew this was coming. Or, she'll end up with the Droid 4 to replace her Droid 2.

Steve

JoeFresco

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have no info, but I expect Verizon to announce it any day now, with shipments a few days later for about $150. I expect between letstalk and radioshack and Best Buy, one of them will have it for <$100 within a week or two of launch. I wouldn't get the Droid 4 with this on the horizon. Removable battery, better battery life, and faster chip

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I definitely want to wait for this one since it will be newer technology.

I tried to talk her into a S3 or even a Nexus, but she has to have a keyboard so that really limits her choices.

Steve

JoeFresco

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. I wish companies would take the QWERTY user a little more seriously instead of just considering us as also-rans. The OG Droid was the Android smartphone that ushered in Android to the masses, after all. For me, I'm just keeping an eye on the Strat 2 because I'll probably buy one on ebay once they get below $200 used in order to keep my current unlimited data plan.

Last edited:

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Why can't they make the S3 with a keyboard, huge screen, fast processor, all the bells and whistles...........with a slide out keyboard.

Oh well, have to see what comes in the next couple of weeks.

Steve

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by my local RS today on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
Wife will be home shortly, so she'll be playing with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve

goomer722

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by my local RS today on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
Wife will be home shortly, so she'll be playing with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve

Did it come with a micro SD card? The ad copy on the Verizon site seems to suggest that even a 4GB card is NOT included.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Did it come with a micro SD card? The ad copy on the Verizon site seems to suggest that even a 4GB card is NOT included.

Any additional info would be appreciated.
It does not come with one, but it does have 8GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot for you own SD card up to 32GB (officially 32GB, but I bet a 64GB card would work fine if formatted properly).

I find it odd that this phone has no ambient light sensor, so you can't set the screen to Automatic Brightness...