Post your bugs/quirks/annoyances with the tablet

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
overall, im pretty happy with the tablet as a tablet. a bit disappointed that i cant get my hands on a controller yet (or the cover). having played with it a bit since i picked it up friday, here's my list of issues:

1. WiFi sucks bad. i sure hope its not a hardware design issue but the range and speed is horrible. sitting here, my note3 is connecting at 150Mbit to my router about 15ft away in the next room (1 wall between). the shield is only at 24Mbit. going down to my basement yields 108Mbit on my note3 and a paltry 12Mbit or sometimes No Signal in the same spot for the shield. this is all on a 5Ghz band with no neighbors around me using 5ghz. given the touted gamestream feature and having used steam streaming, i know the demanding network requirements for this type of thing. i sure hope they get a fix pushed soon.

2. ive noticed some brightness fluctuations, some kind of auto/dynamic brightness or contrast adjustment. super annoying. which it was an option to toggle on/off

3. i cant get my games to show in the damn shield hub for some reason. after an update yesterday, trine 2 finally shows in there but none of my other games do. doesnt seem to be a way to add other apps manually either. same with PC games. it found steam but thats it, not the other 80+ games installed and i cant seem to add them. and lastly, the media apps section; netflix added itself but thats it. i cant get my slingbox app to show up in there. ive not hooked this to the tv, but im pretty sure this is what is used for the "console mode" for the 10ft experience. if my apps dont show, how do you launch them. doesnt matter too much yet i suppose since i dont have the controller yet.

4. videos in the play store do not work. when you're looking at an app/game there's usually some screenshots and sometimes a video to watch of the product. none of those vids work. they open then show an unable to connect to server error. same vids in the store work fine on my phone an other tablets.

Thats about it for now. other than these issues, this tablet has been great.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am still having trouble with wifi after the update that was supposed to fix the issue. Whenever I try to play a video for a game app on the Google Play store, the tablet loses the network connection and gives a "network loss" error message. I thought it might be a problem with Google Play or the developer's website, so I pulled the same app on my phone. The video played with no problems on the phone. I repeated this several times with different apps and got the same results: videos would not play on tablet but played on phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No problems yet, especially with WiFi, but I do wish the accessories, such as the covers were widely available. No one within 100 miles of my location has them. I have orders from Nvidia and Tiger Direct and they're backorder.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I am still having trouble with wifi after the update that was supposed to fix the issue. Whenever I try to play a video for a game app on the Google Play store, the tablet loses the network connection and gives a "network loss" error message. I thought it might be a problem with Google Play or the developer's website, so I pulled the same app on my phone. The video played with no problems on the phone. I repeated this several times with different apps and got the same results: videos would not play on tablet but played on phone.

i dont think this is directly related to the poor wifi, something in the ROM i think is just broken. the play store videos just flat out dont work regardless of signal strength. there is a thread at geforce.com with others experiencing the same issue.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Fry's has the covers if you guys are still searching for them. BB has the controllers in stock as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
i dont think this is directly related to the poor wifi, something in the ROM i think is just broken. the play store videos just flat out dont work regardless of signal strength. there is a thread at geforce.com with others experiencing the same issue.

Well the Play store video issue is the only problem I have had with the Shield. Which I can live with for now as I can always use one of my phones to play the videos.

Existence_Inc

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised that the speakers and not as loud, nor as clear as the ones on my PlayBook. Just an observation, but an interesting discovery (using PowerAMP Pro on the Shield vs Stock PlayBook Media Player). App Crashes and instability have been a nuisance, however. I have had multiple apps crash during the short time I have had the tablet, including the general UI. I expected a bit better from stock Android.

~Ex

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have only had the thing for 24 hours, but I did notice some WiFi issues at work today. I started a new thread about handwriting recognition and the stylus--basically palm rejection isn't working reliably for me. In general, touchscreen sensitivity is alarmingly high but I think I'll blame that on being used to 2012 Nexus devices!

I do see the screen brightness fluctuations...it's a bit distracting. Jury is still out on battery life. I'm enjoying the build quality, though I'm going to have to get used to the size and weight. It's a solid sucker. Finally, I've observed some, well, lagginess when rotating the screen or launching some apps, but maybe it's just been launching apps for the first time.

DoucheyMcBagginns

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe so far is when attempting to view a Vine or Youtube clip in my twitter app (Talon) it stops and says "can't connect to server". No idea what that means, but it is fairly annoying

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My shields WiFi works great. Here's my speed test. Also not seeing any bugs at all.

Attachments

• 144.jpg
    144.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 87

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally received my cover and extra charger today. Ordered on July 30th.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Loki1966

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My nvidia shield tablet wont boot up this morning. worked fine last night when i plugged it in to charge. i hope its not dead. not sure whats wrong with it.

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
ive had numerous occasions were the device would not wake and required a hard reset. press and hold power for 10 seconds (dunno if its actually that long, but thats a good start) then press power again and it should boot. if its been off the charger a bit, battery might be dead too. ive caught mine both dead and heavily discharged. its also done this while plugged into power.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably the WORST POWER BUTTON/VOLUME ROCKER BUTTONS ON THE PLANET! Absolutely horrible tactile feel. They are mushy with NO feedback or positive clicks. You have to REALLY apply pressure to get them to respond and I find myself physically looking at the buttons to make sure my fingers are positioned properly just to push them. Really surprised and baffled by the poor design on a tablet that really rocks overall

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Major issue with wifi at work. On networks with multiple APs, same SSID and different channels, network constantly drops and sometimes just gives up.

I opened a case with Nvidia and they admitted it is a known issue and will be fixed in the next OTA update.

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree about the button issue. What the heck were they thinking? I mainly use the magnetic cover for turning on and off.
Probably the WORST POWER BUTTON/VOLUME ROCKER BUTTONS ON THE PLANET! Absolutely horrible tactile feel. They are mushy with NO feedback or positive clicks. You have to REALLY apply pressure to get them to respond and I find myself physically looking at the buttons to make sure my fingers are positioned properly just to push them. Really surprised and baffled by the poor design on a tablet that really rocks overall

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Major issue with wifi at work. On networks with multiple APs, same SSID and different channels, network constantly drops and sometimes just gives up.

I opened a case with Nvidia and they admitted it is a known issue and will be fixed in the next OTA update.

Hey thanks for taking it up with NVIDIA and reporting back.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have problems with the GPS finding satellites, but not using them for a 'fix'. I used GPS essentials and it clearly shows up to 12 satellites viewed but 0 used for fix. Maps says searching for location for ever.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463