NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet : Upgrade 2.0 ( Android 5.0 Lollipop & more! )

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Today the NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet has become the first outside of the NEXUS devices to receive official Lollipop! The update consists of Android 5.0 Lollipop along with SHIELD apps enhancements and the new GRID On Demand Gaming Service. The update weighs in at 687.50 MB. Once your updated please do come back and share your thoughts.

Update: LTE Version of update leaked. Flash at your own risk.
[OTA] Nvidia Shield Tablet 2.0 (LTE-US) 5.0 … | Nvidia Shield Tablet | XDA Forums

Edit/Update: NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet ( LTE/32 GB) owners will have to wait just a tad bit longer as the is currently going through carrier certification. Any news we hear on this will pass along. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...a-shield-tablet-lte-lollipop-update-more.html

Enjoy!

Upgrade Information & About Screen
Screenshot_2014-11-17-15-23-24.jpg Screenshot_2014-11-18-10-23-48.jpg

Settings & Homescreen Shown w/Lollipop Goodness :)
Screenshot_2014-11-17-15-51-48 - Copy.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-15-51-53.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-15-50-32 - Copy.jpg

Dabbler 2.0 Shown Below
Screenshot_2014-11-17-15-54-56.jpg

SHIELD Hub Screenshots
Screenshot_2014-11-17-16-44-45.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-18-10-25-10.jpg

DirectStylus 2.0 Launcher Shown
Screenshot_2014-11-17-16-46-09.jpg

SHIELD GRID On-Demand Gaming
Screenshot_2014-11-17-17-32-28.jpg
Screenshot_2014-11-17-17-32-45.jpg

More information on the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, SHIELD based software updates & SHIELD GRID On-Demand Gaming Service.
SHIELD Tablet Updates: Lollipop, Valve Bundle, GRID Cloud Gaming | NVIDIA Blog

Last edited:

davisnfld

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Just received my new 16 GB Shield tablet this morning and got the OTA update to Lollipop 2 hours later. Nice! I was going to hold out for some reviews of Lollipop on the Shield before accepting the update, but then again I've never been very patient. So I took the plunge and went for it (hopefully I won't regret it). Haven't played with it much yet, but my first impression is that Lollipop seems to be running very smoothly on the tablet. Going to test it out some more tonight. So far it's all good!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just received my new 16 GB Shield tablet this morning and got the OTA update to Lollipop 2 hours later. Nice! I was going to hold out for some reviews of Lollipop on the Shield before accepting the update, but then again I've never been very patient. So I took the plunge and went for it (hopefully I won't regret it). Haven't played with it much yet, but my first impression is that Lollipop seems to be running very smoothly on the tablet. Going to test it out some more tonight. So far it's all good!
Seeing how its a new fresh tablet it should of updated with no issues. By issues I mean the occasional need to factory reset a device after a major OS update.

Please do come back and share once you have more time with it :)

Ari List

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My Shield was having major issues of extreme lag, randomly freezing, and taking a long time to register when I click something i.e. I press the home button, and it takes one or two seconds to register before taking me to the home screen. I've only had the update for a few hours, and the upgrade to lollipop definitely got rid of the lag, but it's still randomly freezing and taking long times to register after I do simple tasks.

Am I supposed to do a factory reset after installing the update? Because I heard people saying to do it but I have some stuff on my tablet I really don't want to get rid of. Any suggestions on what I should do, or is the only possibility to factory reset? If so, I would be extremely disappointed with Nvidia as I've never had to do this on a tablet or phone before and it's a huge inconvenience, in addition to all the stuff I would lose and not be able to get back.

I'm not trying to hate, I genuinely just want to get my tablet to be the best it can be!

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My Shield was having major issues of extreme lag, randomly freezing, and taking a long time to register when I click something i.e. I press the home button, and it takes one or two seconds to register before taking me to the home screen. I've only had the update for a few hours, and the upgrade to lollipop definitely got rid of the lag, but it's still randomly freezing and taking long times to register after I do simple tasks.

Am I supposed to do a factory reset after installing the update? Because I heard people saying to do it but I have some stuff on my tablet I really don't want to get rid of. Any suggestions on what I should do, or is the only possibility to factory reset? If so, I would be extremely disappointed with Nvidia as I've never had to do this on a tablet or phone before and it's a huge inconvenience, in addition to all the stuff I would lose and not be able to get back.

I'm not trying to hate, I genuinely just want to get my tablet to be the best it can be!

Posted via the Android Central App
I would give it a bit before doing the factory reset. Sometimes with a major OS update it does take the unit a while to cycle and come to terms with the update. I'd recommend doing a reboot or two, continue to work through the menus and apps and things should start to improve. I only say this because I heard similar issues on the Nexus 7 (2012) w/ Lollipop having a laggy start after the update but then after a little patience it started to come around and get better as hours went by.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Enjoying the updates. Getting used to the notification shade changes, but do like the on-screen notifications instead of them being confined to the status bar. Also lock screen notifications are going to be really nice.

Don't yet know what to make of the whole interruptions concept with prioritization of apps. Guess it could be nice but not sure I need it on the Shield. Maybe on my phone in combo with Tasker or something.

Two things that aren't working for me. First is screen casting. Says no devices are available when I tap it, even though I was just playing a movie over Chromecast minutes before. Do I have to take some extra steps to configure Chromecast for this since this is not a Nexus device? Had only mirrored screens on a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 previously.

Second, and maybe this was an issue with KitKat and Jelly Bean too, but the storage stats in the settings are wonky. Internal storage indicates that 5.5 GB are free, which should be right. But under this same heading it shows that apps and associated media are taking up over 12 GB, which is true, except that half of that is on the SD card. Consequently, the Internal Storage graphic shows that all internal storage is full of app data, when that's not accurate.

Am I making any sense? Has anyone else experienced this in Android 4.x or 5.0? (I've not had a device on 4.x or 5.0 with external storage (SD card slot) until now.)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The 2 best things that have started to work with the update that have nothing to do with Android 5.0:

The GPS now locks on satellites properly. (I returned mine to Amazon because of this, but I didn't need to, because it was a software bug as I thought.)
The Google camera in photosphere mode now doesn't crash.

I haven't tried casting to chromecast. I'd like screen mirroring, but I don't think it supports it. I use bubble UpNP and DLNA for casting to my blueray player anyway.

I also would like Xcom to work, but it still shows up as not supported.

As for Android 5.0:
Green graphics on a white background in a grid pattern instead of a list (settings and other menus) - EWWWW!
The clown colors, white open wasted space with small grey lettering and circle bordered icons. It looks like a child's toy!
I HATE the new gmail app. Worst look for an e-mail app ever! (same opinion of the calendar app) What ever happened to tablet optimized apps? What good are bigger screens if the information density is so low?

Sorry Goggle, your visual design team is a total failure!

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I am out of the country on business and haven't confirmed whether the WiFi issue is fixed yet, but now I have an additional problem. When I plug the USB in to my PC, nothing happens. No confirmation of being connected and no mounting of the filesystems to work with the files. Plugging in my S5 with 4.4.4 works as designed, just not the Shield since upgrading to L. Anyone else?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am out of the country on business and haven't confirmed whether the WiFi issue is fixed yet, but now I have an additional problem. When I plug the USB in to my PC, nothing happens. No confirmation of being connected and no mounting of the filesystems to work with the files. Plugging in my S5 with 4.4.4 works as designed, just not the Shield since upgrading to L. Anyone else?
No problems here. Plugged in using stock cable, running Windows 8.1.

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. Plugged in using stock cable, running Windows 8.1.

Hi Paul,

For some odd reason, MTP got turned off, but I never turn it off. Finding it was a bit more tricky since L. Before, under Settings > Storage > More, but now you go to Settings > Storage and there is no longer a More. Now there are the three dots in the upper right when you are in the storage section. Click there to open your USB options.

xunilhr

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Since the L update, I've had a dozen instances where the Shield would not wake up. Each time I have to hold the power button until it resets. Anyone else experiencing this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37