Yeah I know it gets my tv aspect ratio better. But the annoyance of having to wait through a reboot has me leaving it in mirror mode often lately. Haven't seen a performance hit. Are there other benefits other than aspect ratio (which I can adjust to on my tv/monitor which is the same 1080p resolution. (Would it output 4k?)

Do you use console mode all the time?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-08-2015 09:39 AM
    I've only connected this to my TV a handful of times so I can't address your main question directly. What do you mean by reboot?

The tablet can output 4k sources, though I've never done it (no 4k display to connect it to).

Posted via the Android Central App (Shield Tablet)
    05-08-2015 10:22 AM
    When you connect an hdmi it is by default in mirror mode, same in both screens, but offers you console mode which turns off the tablet screen and only outputs to the hdmi. Of you disconnect it reactivates the tablet screen to ask you if you want to go back to mirror mode.

Any switch to or from co sole mode reboots the tablet.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-09-2015 02:06 PM
    I just tested this because I didn't remember exactly what happens. I see what you're talking about. It's not as long as an actual reboot but it did take 20-30 seconds to switch to console mode and about half that to switch back.

Posted via the Android Central App (Shield Tablet)
    05-09-2015 09:36 PM
    Isn't console mode supposed to show some text larger or something, at least for Shield-optimized apps?
    05-11-2015 09:30 PM
    Here's a statement I found on the subject:

There are two different options for displaying content on the TV. In Mirror mode, the tablet display remains active and is mirrored on the TV. Since there’s a resolution mismatch between the tablet’s display (1920x1200) and the TV (1920x1080), some content will be letterboxed. This isn’t always true for video streams, however, because they are sent to the TV at the encoded resolution.

The second option is Console mode, which turns off the tablet’s display and does away with letterboxing by changing the native resolution on the tablet to 1920x1080 to match the TV. Switching to this mode closes all open applications and reboots the tablet.
    05-11-2015 11:28 PM
    I know this is an old thread... Do you need a controller or remote to use the Shield tablet in Console Mode? I haven't tried yet as I'm at the office. Just curious since I came across the thread today.

Thanks!
    04-14-2017 01:43 PM
    Technically no, practically yes.

The touchscreen still works in console mode. It just corresponds to what is onscreen. If you tap around you can manage to close a button or so on. Enter a pin code is a bit more work. Typing is awful.

You can also use a usb2go adapter and connect a conventional mouse or keyboard. Or both with a us hub.
    04-24-2017 08:52 PM
    Thanks! I still haven't tried it. Think I'll look into getting a controller so I can play games on the TV.
    04-25-2017 05:08 PM