Still worth getting?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a new flagship tablet in the 8" range. Front facing speakers. Not huge into gaming but a great screen is important.
I keep waffling between the sheild, the dell venue 8 7000 and possibly the unreleased asus zenpad s 8 which also looks fantastic on paper. Updates are important as well. Not sure about dell or asus on this one but I expect the sheild will get future updates?

I'd prefer stereo speakers top and bottom which the sheild and asus have but it's not a deal breaker.

So, would buying the shield now be a bad idea? Thoughts on the comparison of the 3?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Asus isn't out yet, so can't comment on that. But between the Dell and Shield, I'd take the Shield. NVIDIA has been pretty decent with software updates thus far. Hopefully they keep it up with the future M release.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Well gaming is a huge part of the shield's repertoire but it is really good at other things as well, from its stylus (which is just about the best passive stylus out there) to very prompt updates from nvidia who continues to make support a priority (the fact that there are only three items in their lineup helps keep it from falling off their radar) it is a smash up tablet. About the only flaw I can find are the physical volume and power buttons are not the best.

Posted via the Android Central App

scopeman

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree, you may have better luck with Nvidia. I have the Dell Venue 8, and quite frankly, I am pretty disappointed. It has some serious bugs, and updates are next to non-existent. I also had the Shield Tablet previously and except for the difficult to reach buttons Nvidia has been really good at bringing out speedy updates, and it has working better and better.

scopeman

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I just learned that Shield Tablets are all sold out or pulled from their vendors. I've checked five different places including eBay and cannot find them anywhere. The only possible reason would be that Nvidia may be getting ready to introduce a new second generation Shield Tablet. Now that would certainly be a welcome surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers