Battery discharging while tablet plugged in

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The tablet has been charging for several hours. At one point, it would not go past 99%. Now that I have recently checked it, the battery display is now at 98%. Yesterday when the battery was running low, I plugged it in and continued to use it. The battery was discharging while it was plugged in and the tablet was getting warm.

I'm using a MicroUSB charger; the same one that charges the battery on my phone (so I know its a good charger).

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Having trouble charging mine too. First charger I tried only maintained the same battery level overnight. I had to turn my tablet off in order to charge it.
I've tried two other chargers and both charge it to 97 or 98 percent but never get to 100.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The tablet has been charging for several hours. At one point, it would not go past 99%. Now that I have recently checked it, the battery display is now at 98%. Yesterday when the battery was running low, I plugged it in and continued to use it. The battery was discharging while it was plugged in and the tablet was getting warm.

I'm using a MicroUSB charger; the same one that charges the battery on my phone (so I know its a good charger).

What phone did the charger come from?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a MicroUSB that's actually technically for the Kindle (all white cable with Amazon written on the wall plug), but it charges my phone (Droid Turbo). I then was given another MicroUSB charger, this one being a mismatch (wall plug is one color and the cable is another color; wall plug has Samsung on it). This one oddly wouldn't charge the phone, but it did charge the the tablet.

Now I'm thinking that something isn't working right with charging the tablet because it has not gone to 100% in over 5 hours. On the other hand though, the charger I was using did charge the battery from about 17% last night up to about 96% when I took it off the charge to take the tablet somewhere else. I plugged it back in, and that's where I'm at right now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a MicroUSB that's actually technically for the Kindle (all white cable with Amazon written on the wall plug), but it charges my phone (Droid Turbo). I then was given another MicroUSB charger, this one being a mismatch (wall plug is one color and the cable is another color; wall plug has Samsung on it). This one oddly wouldn't charge the phone, but it did charge the the tablet.

Now I'm thinking that something isn't working right with charging the tablet because it has not gone to 100% in over 5 hours. On the other hand though, the charger I was using did charge the battery from about 17% last night up to about 96% when I took it off the charge to take the tablet somewhere else. I plugged it back in, and that's where I'm at right now.

What is the charger rated at?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Major Problem

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe I have one of those Amazon Kindle chargers around like you show in your link.
It outputs 0.85 amps, while the charger NVIDIA offers as an option for the Shield (the "World Charger") outputs 2.1 amps.
I'd say you need a more powerful charger.
Do you have an old iPad charger around maybe? I noticed an Apple iPad charger I had around (the older 10 watt model) outputs 2.1 amps, same as NVIDIA's charger.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I never had an Ipad, so I don't have that charger. Even though the charger outputs 0.85 amps, why would the tablet still be at 99% considering that it's been on the charger for over 8 hours?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The charger I charged my gpad 8.3 with for two years will only maintain my k1. Pulled out a Nexus 7 charger to try it. The first night it charged my k1 to 97%. Last night it discharged my k1 from about 75% to 3%.
I have an anker 2.4 amp charger coming from amazon. Hopefully that does the trick.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I did a search for tablet charging to 99% and found that other tablets and phones did the same thing. Some posts were suggesting that it's intentional for the tablet/phone to charge to 99% to prevent overcharging.

I know that before updating to marshmallow the tablet would charge to 100 without any problems. I'm thinking that it also did this after the firmware was updated.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The charger I charged my gpad 8.3 with for two years will only maintain my k1. Pulled out a Nexus 7 charger to try it. The first night it charged my k1 to 97%. Last night it discharged my k1 from about 75% to 3%.
I have an anker 2.4 amp charger coming from amazon. Hopefully that does the trick.

I had issues with mine not charging when the display was on with a 1 amp charger. In addition it would not sleep with the screen off, but would constantly cycle with the display going on, then off, then on, etc. All of these issues were solved by using a 2 amp charger. Not surprising since the world travelling charger they sell for the shield is rated for 2.1 amp.

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with mine not charging when the display was on with a 1 amp charger. In addition it would not sleep with the screen off, but would constantly cycle with the display going on, then off, then on, etc. All of these issues were solved by using a 2 amp charger. Not surprising since the world travelling charger they sell for the shield is rated for 2.1 amp.

The funny thing is, I have a 1 amp HTC charger that will charge it. My 2 amp Nexus 7 charger worked one night then failed miserably the second night. Switched to a different 2 amp charger, and different cable, and had no further problems.
I'm now using an Anker smart charger (up to 2.4 amps) with an amazon basics cable and it charges fine, even with daydream turned on.

livefromlag

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
im thinking to buy this anker charger to. i just wonder if it charge properly when screen on or when u gaming or its still battery drop when gaming while on charge? thx for answer

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
im thinking to buy this anker charger to. i just wonder if it charge properly when screen on or when u gaming or its still battery drop when gaming while on charge? thx for answer

I know the Anker charger is fine with the screen on. Not sure how it does when gaming.

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. When I am using the tablet it's usually for gaming, etc. I have to pretty much keep the tablet plugged in and it uses power quicker than it charges. I have used an ipad charger, tronsmart 3 port with two 2.4 ports and a quickcharge 2.0 port, the iclever boostcube with 2.4 ports, my moto x pure turbo charger. It's just a slow charger, my old samsung sgs2 phone was the same way. It's horrible for a "gaming" tablet in both battery time and charge capabilities. I will never buy another android product without turbocharge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12