SOUND OFF! Who's still using their Shield Tablet?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This forum has been super quiet lately... Just thought I'd try and breath some life into it again. So...

SOUND OFF - Who's still using their Shield Tablet or K1? I am!

-OR-

If you've moved on, what did you replace your Shield with?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Daily. A bit slow, but I don't see a replacement option I like.

I'm with you there. Console mode is my favorite feature and honestly don't know why it took me so long to use it. Since no other tablet seems to have this feature if/when I get a new one or the battery finally goes out... I'll probably just get an Amazon Fire tablet for the price/value. Or the Tab S 3 (I really can't decide) :)

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I gave it to my daughter to use as the unit has become very slow. I tried a reset but the unit just isn't as responsive as it was.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I gave it to my daughter to use as the unit has become very slow. I tried a reset but the unit just isn't as responsive as it was.

That sucks that it's lagging so much. I haven't seen any performance issues... just the battery degradation and the Bluetooth seems to disconnect every time I switch to Console Mode making it tough to get the controller connected again. It's supposed to come back on (according to the internets) but it never does. I still love it though.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Still using the tablet sometimes. Leave it off most of the time because the battery like is not great. Other than that I like it. My pixel 2 XL is fine for almost everything so I. Really don't need a tablet. Now.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Still using the tablet sometimes. Leave it off most of the time because the battery like is not great. Other than that I like it. My pixel 2 XL is fine for almost everything so I. Really don't need a tablet. Now.

I know what you mean. Phone screens, now-a-days, are big enough to get most things done quickly. Add in the fact that they're always in pocket and connected.

My Shield is mostly used for comic/e-book reading and console mode on the TV. I'm kind of disappointed in the gaming as most of the games I've tried in the Play Store aren't compatible with a controller. Maybe I'm just not finding the right games, tho.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Daily. A bit slow, but I don't see a replacement option I like.

Same here. Every once in awhile I look at other Tablets, but none look appealing enou.... scratch that, they look appealing enough but too pricey considering I bought the Shield for $200 new. It still works very good on the games I play and does decent at everything else.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Finally replaced my shield tablet with Samsung tab s4 just ordered it today. I did so much research on what my next tablet should be. On gadgets.com I was able to do a comparison between the shield tablet and tab s4. Looking forward to doing more from comic book reading and drawing on the tab s4.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Finally replaced my shield tablet with Samsung tab s4 just ordered it today. I did so much research on what my next tablet should be. On gadgets.com I was able to do a comparison between the shield tablet and tab s4. Looking forward to doing more from comic book reading and drawing on the tab s4.

Good choice! My wife has the Tab S2 and it's great for comic reading! She loves it.

I'm still rocking the Shield, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'll keep it as long as I can, though, since I can't decide between the Kindle Fire 10, mainly for the price, or the Tab S4.

After you've used it for a while, let us know what you think about it!

eldricho

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Still rocking my Shield K1 from time to time, although it is getting on the slow side. My tablet usage case has mostly transfered over to my phone at this point, which is why I don't use it much anymore. It still does it job so far though, especially when I use it in regards to my school work and content viewing.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Still rocking my Shield K1 from time to time, although it is getting on the slow side. My tablet usage case has mostly transfered over to my phone at this point, which is why I don't use it much anymore. It still does it job so far though, especially when I use it in regards to my school work and content viewing.

Same here. It's getting a little slow, and I dropped it recently so it has a cracked screen. Everything still works, though the battery is getting worse everyday. It's basically just an e-reader/comic reader at this point. I used to use it in console mode to stream Netflix but not much anymore.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

Same here, ordered my S4 last night.

John in Michigan

May 8, 2019
Visit site
Mine Shield K1 screen cracked over 1 year ago when I dropped it and it landed touchscreen side down on a hard floor. Other than being able to feel the cracks when I touch the screen, it has continued to operate without problems -- no display artifacts and the entire surface still responds to touch. Only problems are the usual old battery limitations, and that the CPU is a little under-powered (but only when compared to much more expensive phones). Oh, and the last Android update was Jan, 2018.

I got a new phone in Feb, 2019 so I only use the K1 for gaming and sometimes as a media player.

Overall, it's been a great little tablet!

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
SO I finally bought a new tablet. My Shield K1 just couldn't keep up any more. The battery only lasts an hour or 2 at most and everything I did on it took so much time. I'm gonna miss it though.

I ended up getting the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1. I first tried the Kindle Fire HD 10, but found it lacked features I thought it had (ability to cast/mirror the screen, Nova Launcher, etc.), so I returned it the next day and got the Tab A 10.1 from Best Buy. Great tablet so far! If you're looking for a good replacement, Amazon has a good deal on the 128GB version right now at $50 off, making it only $20 more than the 32GB version.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...g-galaxy-tab-10-1-250-amazon.html#post6596144