Login/Logout Issues

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Troubleshooting the Logged Out of Forums issue.

I don't know if it helps narrow down the issue of getting logged out of the forums between sessions, but I've noticed it only seems to happen to me when I'm logged in to the main AC page. If I make it a point to be logged out of AC's main page, then the forums remember me when I return each day or after the session timeout expires.

It may just be a big coincidence, but I'm relatively confident it's not. I only noticed because the logout of forums issue only seemed to happen on my next visit to the forums after I had logged in to the main page so I could post a comment in an article on the previous visit .

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
We've completed the transition to the new authentication system. If you are subscribed to this thread I would like to hear your feedback on whether this issue has gotten better.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
My login to the main AC site is solid - rarely need to log back in. On the forums, though, I still need to log in often.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Since 12/20, every time I log out the threads I read seem to be forgotten. Every time I log in and go to my favorite forum (LG Optimus S hacking), all the threads with additions since 12/20 are bold, and if I click on the button that is supposed to take me to the first unread reply, it takes me to one from 12/20.

This happens whether I read every thread manually or select "mark forum as read" before logging out.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
We've completed the transition to the new authentication system. If you are subscribed to this thread I would like to hear your feedback on whether this issue has gotten better.
Ah ha... that explains why I've seen such an improvement. Right now I can't remember the last time I was asked to login unexpectedly. It used to be at least twice a day.

Thanks,

-Frank

SMocek

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Since 12/20, every time I log out the threads I read seem to be forgotten. Every time I log in and go to my favorite forum (LG Optimus S hacking), all the threads with additions since 12/20 are bold, and if I click on the button that is supposed to take me to the first unread reply, it takes me to one from 12/20.

This happens whether I read every thread manually or select "mark forum as read" before logging out.

Same thing is happening to me. Just started a couple of days ago. I always log out when I leave the forums. I tried the "mark forums as read" also and it didn't work. The last login time never seems to change. It's the same in the Chrome or Firefox browser.

SM

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me. Just started a couple of days ago. I always log out when I leave the forums. I tried the "mark forums as read" also and it didn't work. The last login time never seems to change. It's the same in the Chrome or Firefox browser.

SM

Yeah, I should have expanded and said Chrome, Firefox, and IE, on 4 different computers and 3 different operating systems (XP, Win7, Ubuntu).

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never been asked to log back into AC. Even after a reboot of whatever computer I'm on, at home, at work, or on my phone. I hope this fixes issues for others though!! :D

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I just joined the forum a few days ago (new to Android with a Galaxy Nexus), and have this Forum bookmarked in Chrome. I am never logged in automatically, and have to click on the login button. I am then logged in, without having to enter any other information, but this is a pain.
I don't have this problem with any other of the multiple forums I participate in.
A fix would be nice, or if there's something on my computer (Vista 64-bit) or Chrome settings, let me know.
Thanks.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the issue was "fixed" because I still have to click the "log-in" button whenever I return to this website. It didn't actually log me out because after I click "log-in" it doesn't ask me to enter my user name and password again. I'm take to User CP immediately.

This occurs no matter which computer or
connecting method I'm using.... including:

(1) home PC running WinXP, cable modem
(2) laptop(Macbook), VZW Mi-Fi
(3) office PC, running Win7, T-1(?) connection
(4) Galaxy Nexus phone, VZW 4G or 3G
(5) HP Touchpad, VZW Mi-Fi or McD free Wi-Fi

Please help.... I can't understand why this is happening.
This website is the only one that's doing this. :(

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with you guys; I am seeing the same behavior. The integration between the blog authentication and the forums is definitely working well from what I've seen, but the timeout problems still exist. The former was a major project that will provide members a much smoother experience, once these kinks have been worked out. You should no longer see yourself logged out of the forums, but not the blogs. They are both in sync and should prevent a lot of those problems.

I will contact the developer on Monday & ask him to explore this further. I know the remember me check box is also missing; so I will inquire about that as well. At first I thought this was a non issue - since this option is built into all modern browsers - but based on member feedback it sounds like I need to retract that statement.

I'll update this thread again on Monday.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I'm getting logged out of the forums all the time, too. Blog's OK.

... Going to find the manager. :p

(ps: We're working on it, folks. :) )

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Newcomer to this Meta forum...been teasingly tweeting Phil on this (Tweasing?) since things changed in the forum log-out just before Christmas.

I joined back in Sept after I got a Bionic on launch day...had only been browsing topics without logging in before that.

Till recently I was used to logging in & using the remember me check box so I didn't see read or marked read posts after logging out and returning the next day. After logging out at night I'd get the message that cookies had been cleared and when I next opened Chrome it would be on that same page and a re-login and remember me box check would let me move to a forum and only new posts would be waiting.

Then came the case of the missing Remember Me box. When I logged off it would take me back to the first current blog and when I next re-opened Chrome it is the blog screen. Whether I logged in there or moved to Forums & then clicked the log-in I'd be taken to a screen with blanks for user name and pw on the left side of the screen and no remember me box. Once reaching a forum all of the previously read posts were back in bold face (un-read).

Today the Remember Me box was back but it still isn't remembering what I've read or marked read. After I read this meta thread from the beginning I noticed something about a log-in on the blog section should also sign me in for the forums, but I don't think that's working for me.

AC as one of 5 tabs on my Chrome browser homepage on an XP box for ref.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the issue was "fixed" because I still have to click the "log-in" button whenever I return to this website. It didn't actually log me out because after I click "log-in" it doesn't ask me to enter my user name and password again. I'm take to User CP immediately.
This used to happen to me and I thought the same thing. But, if you scroll down you will see where it actually is asking for you to login.

My login has been holding good for weeks now (IE9). I do occasionally get messed up dark blue (not read) threads. But I think this is an artifact of the board software that can't be overcome. I see it on other vBul boards too.

-Frank

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
How have the last few days been for everyone?

Better, but still not the way it was working for me the first several months.

When I started chrome today, the AC tab was on the Forum index page with the logged out successfully/cookies have been cleared message. The sign in boxes included a Remember me check box but when I logged in I was taken to AC blog home page and had to find my way back to the Forum index page.

I noticed then that today there is a log out space on the black bar in the forum section where for the last week or so the only space to log out was on the blue bar up in the blog section. I just used the one in the forum section (black bar) to log out to see if that had made a difference.

Nope, was sent directly to the first post in the blog section after the log out instead of getting the log out/cookies cleared message on the forum index page.

For a test I then closed Chrome and re-opened it and discovered the AC tab was now showing the log out/cookies cleared message on the Forum index page! Soooo...I signed back in and checked the remember me box again and I was taken to...my History page!?!

Found my way back to this forum to leave this reply.

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work now, after the recent changes and if so, I'll get used to it.

Gonna log off and get some sleep...see ya tomorrow, Cory.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I still need to log in to the forum quite often. But, I finally discovered the little "login" button at the top-right corner that logs me in with just a click; so, I'm not entering my username/password every single time. Good enough for me.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm still seeing the problem where every time I log in, the forums think that everything since December 19th is unread, which makes keeping up with exactly which posts I have not yet read very difficult since the "go to first new post" link is no longer accurate. If I choose "Mark this Forum Read" and then stay logged in for a while, new posts show up properly and the system knows what I have yet to read, but once I actually log out and close my browser, the next time I log in things revert back to thinking I haven't read anything since 12/19. This happens on Firefox and Chrome on many different computers I've tried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude